Michigan Law School C/O 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
Aeon

Silver

Re: Michigan Law School C/O 2019

Post by Aeon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Toodle-loo wrote:Hi all!
Long time lurker here coming out of the woods to ask opinions. I was reading the UMich c/o 2018 forum and noticed that a lot of people were really concerned with Michigan's jobs stats released last March, to the extent that some people withdrew immediately and some appeared to eat their deposits and attend elsewhere or reapply next cycle.

I haven't seen as much concern on this thread or the Michigan law applicants thread (where I'll be cross-posting this question), but I'm curious if you all share this concern or think it's unfounded.
I haven't been following the employment statistics closely, but it's generally the case that Michigan sends a relatively high number of people to jobs outside of BigLaw and clerkships, such as government and other public interest positions. The numbers therefore might not show the full picture.

Also, there is a three-year lag between matriculating at school and starting work, and the numbers fluctuate over that period of time. The most recent entering class was considerably smaller than in previous years, which is bound to make searching for jobs somewhat easier.

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:33 am

Checking in. Visited the school and loved it. Also received a generous scholarship, so Michigan is looking tempting. I'm also interested to see the new employment #s this spring.

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:40 pm

Also michigans branding is so damn strong

Olliedemars

New

Post by Olliedemars » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 pm

urbanist11 wrote:Also michigans branding is so damn strong
Preach. So hyped on Michigan. Also, everyone who I've spoken to at the school has been incredible--students & faculty alike.

Swoon.

Signed up for the March ASW.

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:37 pm

hey folks, how long after the initial admit email did you all get more detailed info with finaid application?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:50 pm

oliverotis wrote:hey folks, how long after the initial admit email did you all get more detailed info with finaid application?
Mine took about a month. Accepted mid-November, got my scholarship offer in early December

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:51 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:
oliverotis wrote:hey folks, how long after the initial admit email did you all get more detailed info with finaid application?
Mine took about a month. Accepted mid-November, got my scholarship offer in early December
Sorry, I mean: how long after the initial admit email did you get the financial aid application (not scholly offer)?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:55 pm

oliverotis wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
Sorry, I mean: how long after the initial admit email did you get the financial aid application (not scholly offer)?
Never? I don't remember ever filling out an application for financial aid.

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:56 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
oliverotis wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
Really? Does Michigan not have you fill out NeedAccess? They only do merit-based aid?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:58 pm

oliverotis wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
oliverotis wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
Really? Does Michigan not have you fill out NeedAccess? They only do merit-based aid?
Oh oh. I thought you meant Michigan-specific. I haven't submitted Need Access yet (and actually, I don't think Michigan uses it). But I received my offer even before I had FAFSA ready.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:03 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
oliverotis wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
oliverotis wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
Oh oh. I thought you meant Michigan-specific. I haven't submitted Need Access yet (and actually, I don't think Michigan uses it). But I received my offer even before I had FAFSA ready.
I've started NeedAccess and I am fairly sure I selected Michigan as one of my options (though I'm not 100% sure and I'm at work so I don't want to pull up all my personal financial info while on my work computer). I haven't filled out my financial aid forms as I'm waiting on my tax info.

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:04 pm

oliverotis wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
oliverotis wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
I believe the admitted students website says they will post their need based application in early March. Just fill out your FAFSA and NeedAccess to get it out of the way and check back on the website in early March to see if there's anything else you need to fill out for the school. (The information was on the "Financial Aid" tab under "Need-Based Application.") Hope this helps!

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:07 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
oliverotis wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
oliverotis wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
I've started NeedAccess and I am fairly sure I selected Michigan as one of my options (though I'm not 100% sure and I'm at work so I don't want to pull up all my personal financial info while on my work computer). I haven't filled out my financial aid forms as I'm waiting on my tax info.
You can select, but I don't think it's required like at other schools. Maybe I should call and confirm, but nowhere on the website does it say you need to use it. I'd greatly prefer not to....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Make sure you guys read your financial aid award letters first. Mine said something along the lines of "because of the size of your merit award you will not be eligible for need based grants". In that case there's no sense in submitting NeedAcess to UMich (but you would still need to do FAFSA if applying for loans).

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:47 pm

urbanist11 wrote:Make sure you guys read your financial aid award letters first. Mine said something along the lines of "because of the size of your merit award you will not be eligible for need based grants". In that case there's no sense in submitting NeedAcess to UMich (but you would still need to do FAFSA if applying for loans).
That's totally a fair point.

As someone who doesn't have any awards and was admitted over a month ago, had to fill out FAFSA and NeedAccess for other schools anyway (even though I'm over 26), and would almost definitely benefit from a school having a more complete perspective of my financial situation, I submitted mine. If your situation is different, you might not want to go through the hassle and spend $28.

Perhaps I'm uninformed on the law school financial aid process, but is there any benefit in not submitting NeedAccess? It's annoying to fill out and paying money for financial aid forms seems ridiculous, but since it's a flat rate, it doesn't seem like there's any extra cost to submitting it to UMich if you're filling it out anyway for other schools.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:38 pm

ChervonaKatya wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:Make sure you guys read your financial aid award letters first. Mine said something along the lines of "because of the size of your merit award you will not be eligible for need based grants". In that case there's no sense in submitting NeedAcess to UMich (but you would still need to do FAFSA if applying for loans).

As someone who doesn't have any awards and was admitted over a month ago, had to fill out FAFSA and NeedAccess for other schools anyway (even though I'm over 26), and would almost definitely benefit from a school having a more complete perspective of my financial situation, I submitted mine. If your situation is different, you might not want to go through the hassle and spend $28.

Perhaps I'm uninformed on the law school financial aid process, but is there any benefit in not submitting NeedAccess? It's annoying to fill out and paying money for financial aid forms seems ridiculous, but since it's a flat rate, it doesn't seem like there's any extra cost to submitting it to UMich if you're filling it out anyway for other schools.
Mine said this as well - not a concern, as I don't think the Need-based grants are so significant for 99% of applicants. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you were a Pell Grant recipient in UG (or similar), you're probably not pulling huge $ off need-based aid.

On the second point - my parents make a good deal of money, but I don't. It's to my advantage to not let a law school see that, so I can get all the government loans possible.

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:50 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
ChervonaKatya wrote:

Mine said this as well - not a concern, as I don't think the Need-based grants are so significant for 99% of applicants. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you were a Pell Grant recipient in UG (or similar), you're probably not pulling huge $ off need-based aid.

On the second point - my parents make a good deal of money, but I don't. It's to my advantage to not let a law school see that, so I can get all the government loans possible.
That makes sense. I was outside the Pell Grant range, but I had a Perkins and my parents are making quite a bit less now than they were when I was in undergrad, so I submitted mine. I suppose choosing what to disclose is going to be different depending on your situation. Thanks for explaining!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Quick question, have any of you checked "YOUR PERSONAL AWARD INFO" on the admitted students site financial aid section?

I received scholarship info via email a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if this section is populated with dummy data... the award year listed is 2017 which doesn't make total sense to me. And the award amount doesn't match the amount in my email.

Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed anything funny.

Thanks!

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:23 pm

zyxwvut2 wrote:Quick question, have any of you checked "YOUR PERSONAL AWARD INFO" on the admitted students site financial aid section?

I received scholarship info via email a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if this section is populated with dummy data... the award year listed is 2017 which doesn't make total sense to me. And the award amount doesn't match the amount in my email.

Thanks!
Mine shows the correct information for one year (my total award / 3)

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:29 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
zyxwvut2 wrote:Quick question, have any of you checked "YOUR PERSONAL AWARD INFO" on the admitted students site financial aid section?

Thanks!
Same

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:35 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:

Thanks!
Same
Just called and it's bc summer starts get an extra semesters worth of schollie in the first year. :oops: I was kinda hoping I just got more money haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:36 pm

zyxwvut2 wrote:
jewkidontheblock wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:

Thanks!
Same
Just called and it's bc summer starts get an extra semesters worth of schollie in the first year. :oops: I was kinda hoping I just got more money haha
Gah, I was hoping, too. Maybe just call back and pull the ol' "now, while we're talking about scholarship...."

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:41 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
zyxwvut2 wrote:
jewkidontheblock wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:

Thanks!
Same
Gah, I was hoping, too. Maybe just call back and pull the ol' "now, while we're talking about scholarship...."
Lol as soon as I have something useful to bargain with I will... their "we don't compete" attitude leads me to believe mere acceptances to better schools won't be convincing enough.

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:42 pm

New poll up!

petosjoh

New

Post by petosjoh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:22 pm

Are there any other admits here who went to Michigan for undergrad?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”