Michigan Law School C/O 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
jumbo2016

Silver

Re: Michigan Law School C/O 2019

Post by jumbo2016 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:30 pm

gsy987 wrote:
Tiddlywinks wrote:
blind squirrel wrote:Hey is anyone else living in the LC and bringing a car? Just wondering what people have heard about parking as a 1L. Should I be looking on Craigslist now to see if I can pay someone for a spot, wait to start looking, go through the school, etc...? Any advice would be appreciated.
Going to be living in the LC as well and was wondering the same thing. Don't really need my car and 1L etc, but I figure it'd be convient to have. I've heard of passes that allow you to park overnight and people renting out spaces but haven't gone farther then that.
This is my situation too... and from what I've heard, there are 3 options here:
1. Rent a space from a private individual. (these typically go for around $50ish a month and can be found on craigslist.)
2. Snag a permanent spot (when I called the parking offices at Michigan, they said that these will open up sometime in June, but they're very limited)
3. Get a yellow/orange spot, and pay an extra fee for overnight hours (I've heard that this is an option, though I haven't explored it much yet.)

I'm going to try option number 1 personally (I think it'll end up being easier.)
I just signed a lease for a spot a company was selling on craigslist. Not far from the LC and pricing was 45/month for a 12 month least starting in august- I won't be using my car often so the low price was worth the slight walk from the LC. Seems like now is the time to get them - a lot of the lots selling spaces only have 1 spot left.

blind squirrel

New

Post by blind squirrel » Thu May 19, 2016 8:29 am

jumbo2016 wrote:
gsy987 wrote:
Tiddlywinks wrote:
blind squirrel wrote:Hey is anyone else living in the LC and bringing a car? Just wondering what people have heard about parking as a 1L. Should I be looking on Craigslist now to see if I can pay someone for a spot, wait to start looking, go through the school, etc...? Any advice would be appreciated.
Going to be living in the LC as well and was wondering the same thing. Don't really need my car and 1L etc, but I figure it'd be convient to have. I've heard of passes that allow you to park overnight and people renting out spaces but haven't gone farther then that.
This is my situation too... and from what I've heard, there are 3 options here:
1. Rent a space from a private individual. (these typically go for around $50ish a month and can be found on craigslist.)
2. Snag a permanent spot (when I called the parking offices at Michigan, they said that these will open up sometime in June, but they're very limited)
3. Get a yellow/orange spot, and pay an extra fee for overnight hours (I've heard that this is an option, though I haven't explored it much yet.)

I'm going to try option number 1 personally (I think it'll end up being easier.)
I just signed a lease for a spot a company was selling on craigslist. Not far from the LC and pricing was 45/month for a 12 month least starting in august- I won't be using my car often so the low price was worth the slight walk from the LC. Seems like now is the time to get them - a lot of the lots selling spaces only have 1 spot left.
Awesome Jumbo, congrats on finding such a great deal! I'm going to start looking around this weekend then (just got my lease this morning). If that company has any spots left, would you mind PM'ing me the details? If they're all full, no worries. Thanks!

leftcross

New

Post by leftcross » Fri May 20, 2016 8:56 am

Summer starter here. I checked out the number of seats taken on the Wolverine Access registration page. The total enrollment for Cooper's class which will include ABCD consists of 79 students. Given that all summer starters are automatically enrolled, this is the final total. If the group is proportionate to the whole class of 2019, there should be around 320 incoming students. Some with seat deposits in may not matriculate, but there are probably plenty of people on the waitlist to fill those spots up. Given that Michigan has a low number of transfers, this number should remain consistent. 305-325 students should be expected for this class.

Any thoughts?

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:26 am

leftcross wrote:Summer starter here. I checked out the number of seats taken on the Wolverine Access registration page. The total enrollment for Cooper's class which will include ABCD consists of 79 students. Given that all summer starters are automatically enrolled, this is the final total. If the group is proportionate to the whole class of 2019, there should be around 320 incoming students. Some with seat deposits in may not matriculate, but there are probably plenty of people on the waitlist to fill those spots up. Given that Michigan has a low number of transfers, this number should remain consistent. 305-325 students should be expected for this class.

Any thoughts?
According to the 2018 class statistics, there were 267 people enrolled last year... so 305-325 would be quite a jump.

After perusing their FAQ, they appear to say that the 2018 class size was a bit of an anomaly and that they were expecting a bigger class for 2019. Here's their exact quote:
We typically receive about 5000 applications for an average entering class of about 315. Each entering class is divided into four equally sized sections, one of which begins in the summer. All first-year students have one core class divided into small sections of about 40 students; that small section is divided in half again for Legal Practice (the required legal writing and advocacy course), making that class about 20 students. (We shrank this year's entering class to 267 in response to a smaller, less credentialed national pool.)

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Everything I've heard from talking with students/adcoms/deans suggests that last year's smaller class size was not intentional (which saddens me) and was a result of students not matriculating after job stats/dropping out of top 10. They expect this year's incoming class size to be in the 300-320 range like the previous years (which once again saddens me) since they're a top school again back in the top 10 :wink:

gsy987 wrote:
leftcross wrote:Summer starter here. I checked out the number of seats taken on the Wolverine Access registration page. The total enrollment for Cooper's class which will include ABCD consists of 79 students. Given that all summer starters are automatically enrolled, this is the final total. If the group is proportionate to the whole class of 2019, there should be around 320 incoming students. Some with seat deposits in may not matriculate, but there are probably plenty of people on the waitlist to fill those spots up. Given that Michigan has a low number of transfers, this number should remain consistent. 305-325 students should be expected for this class.

Any thoughts?
According to the 2018 class statistics, there were 267 people enrolled last year... so 305-325 would be quite a jump.

After perusing their FAQ, they appear to say that the 2018 class size was a bit of an anomaly and that they were expecting a bigger class for 2019. Here's their exact quote:
We typically receive about 5000 applications for an average entering class of about 315. Each entering class is divided into four equally sized sections, one of which begins in the summer. All first-year students have one core class divided into small sections of about 40 students; that small section is divided in half again for Legal Practice (the required legal writing and advocacy course), making that class about 20 students. (We shrank this year's entering class to 267 in response to a smaller, less credentialed national pool.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leftcross

New

Post by leftcross » Sat May 21, 2016 8:35 am

UMich does seem to be expecting a larger class this year. Still, the job prospects would have looked so much better if the classes were to have fewer than 300 students.

What do you all think about Class of 2019's 1L Biglaw prospects? There should be fewer qualified 2Ls taking summer internships over the summer of 2017 due to smaller class sizes throughout T14 schools. Might this translate into better 1L SA pickings, especially at Michigan given the contracted 2018 class?

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:22 pm

leftcross wrote:UMich does seem to be expecting a larger class this year. Still, the job prospects would have looked so much better if the classes were to have fewer than 300 students.

What do you all think about Class of 2019's 1L Biglaw prospects? There should be fewer qualified 2Ls taking summer internships over the summer of 2017 due to smaller class sizes throughout T14 schools. Might this translate into better 1L SA pickings, especially at Michigan given the contracted 2018 class?
I'm quite sure that 2L SA positions =/= 1L SA positions. Also there's no reason why they wouldn't just take in more SAs from other schools, I doubt firms literally have a hard quota of Michigan grads they need. It's too hard to predict the market 2 years from now, this year and the last have been boom years, but nobody has any idea of how long that boom will last (which is why I would have preferred a smaller class size, look at the wonders it does for Cornell & Duke).

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Sat May 21, 2016 12:57 pm

miku015 wrote:
leftcross wrote:UMich does seem to be expecting a larger class this year. Still, the job prospects would have looked so much better if the classes were to have fewer than 300 students.

I'm quite sure that 2L SA positions =/= 1L SA positions. Also there's no reason why they wouldn't just take in more SAs from other schools, I doubt firms literally have a hard quota of Michigan grads they need. It's too hard to predict the market 2 years from now, this year and the last have been boom years, but nobody has any idea of how long that boom will last (which is why I would have preferred a smaller class size, look at the wonders it does for Cornell & Duke).
Yeah the jump back above 300 is annoying especially if it comes with a drop in job numbers followed by a rankings drop because then were doing this dance all over again. One thing to note though is that the most recent job numbers were pretty good and they were for the class of 2015 which had 354 graduates. Our class should be around 15% smaller than that.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:48 am

jnwa wrote:
miku015 wrote:

Yeah the jump back above 300 is annoying especially if it comes with a drop in job numbers followed by a rankings drop because then were doing this dance all over again. One thing to note though is that the most recent job numbers were pretty good and they were for the class of 2015 which had 354 graduates. Our class should be around 15% smaller than that.
Building on this last point, I can't help but wonder if people need to start taking the 2011-2014 class numbers with a grain of salt, considering how bad the legal economy was doing back then. It could be that a lot of the poor-ish performances of the last class didn't have that much to do with size and instead were tied to the larger macro-economic trends of the legal community.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:19 pm

The class of 2015 had 354 graduates, and the BL + FC total was 61.3%. Considering that the class will be around 10% smaller and the legal market is recovering, I can confidently say that I am not at all worried about my BigLaw prospects as an incoming 1L. I'll see all of you Summers in a week!

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Also, is it just me or does the Summer Starter Schedule seem incredibly light? I am in section 002 apparently and my schedule looks like this:

Civ Pro
MTWTh from 8:50 to 10:30

Legal Practice (switches to a different class that takes place on the same days at the same times after the 4th of July apparently)
TTh from 1:15 to 2:35

Torts
MTWTh from 3:15 to 4:45

If this is right, we are in class for less than 20 hours a week. Even if you assume that you will study as much as your are in class, this only accounts for about 35 to 40 hours of work a week. Is this right, or am I mistaken? I know that Summer Starts take only 2 doctrinal classes in their first semester while fall starters take 3. I knew that Summer Start was supposed to be lighter, but this is considerably lighter than any of my semesters in undergrad. Thoughts?

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Mon May 23, 2016 2:29 am

Does anyone have experience and/or suggestions re: any of these apartment complexes in Ann Arbor?

https://www.law.umich.edu/admittedstude ... plexes.pdf

Apartment hunting and the prospect of moving across the country in less than 3 months is slightly overwhelming and would love to hear about anyone's experiences.

Thank you in advance!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Tue May 24, 2016 5:30 pm

GFox345 wrote:Also, is it just me or does the Summer Starter Schedule seem incredibly light? I am in section 002 apparently and my schedule looks like this:

Civ Pro
MTWTh from 8:50 to 10:30

Legal Practice (switches to a different class that takes place on the same days at the same times after the 4th of July apparently)
TTh from 1:15 to 2:35

Torts
MTWTh from 3:15 to 4:45

If this is right, we are in class for less than 20 hours a week. Even if you assume that you will study as much as your are in class, this only accounts for about 35 to 40 hours of work a week. Is this right, or am I mistaken? I know that Summer Starts take only 2 doctrinal classes in their first semester while fall starters take 3. I knew that Summer Start was supposed to be lighter, but this is considerably lighter than any of my semesters in undergrad. Thoughts?
Sounds about right. Summer start was glorious. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Just to reply to the above comments on class size and jobs.

The classes of 2016 and 2017 (entering class sizes of ~317 and ~319) both did very well on the job market. Presumably the class of 2018 is also going to do well. Literally, if you were a normally socialized human with slightly bellow average grades in the class of 2016, you had a satisfactory outcome. I can think of only a few people out of the 230 non-transfer 2016 grads who are still looking for work for September, and with one exception they are either just sadly socially inept or absolutely not interested in for-profit work (and will almost certainly find non-profit or govt work soon if they haven't yet).

320 is still a nice, reasonably small class size, and for the vast majority of you (especially if you've ever worked before) the employment stuff will not be a problem. Enjoy Ann Arbor! If you're a summer starter, enjoy the beauty of the summer in Ann Arbor. Get to know your classmates and find out what areas of law you like most. You made a good choice; you're going to do great.

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:25 pm

CTT wrote:Just to reply to the above comments on class size and jobs.

The classes of 2016 and 2017 (entering class sizes of ~317 and ~319) both did very well on the job market. Presumably the class of 2018 is also going to do well. Literally, if you were a normally socialized human with slightly bellow average grades in the class of 2016, you had a satisfactory outcome. I can think of only a few people out of the 230 non-transfer 2016 grads who are still looking for work for September, and with one exception they are either just sadly socially inept or absolutely not interested in for-profit work (and will almost certainly find non-profit or govt work soon if they haven't yet).

320 is still a nice, reasonably small class size, and for the vast majority of you (especially if you've ever worked before) the employment stuff will not be a problem. Enjoy Ann Arbor! If you're a summer starter, enjoy the beauty of the summer in Ann Arbor. Get to know your classmates and find out what areas of law you like most. You made a good choice; you're going to do great.
NO! WE MUST OVER-ANALYZE MINOR FLUCTUATIONS IN CLASS SIZE AND JOB PROSPECTS!

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Wed May 25, 2016 4:47 pm

gsy987 wrote:
CTT wrote:Just to reply to the above comments on class size and jobs.

NO! WE MUST OVER-ANALYZE MINOR FLUCTUATIONS IN CLASS SIZE AND JOB PROSPECTS!
Ha, soon enough you'll have torts and civ pro to fill your depressing void for analytical opportunities.

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Fri May 27, 2016 12:58 am

Do the windows open up all the way in the LC?

Like if I want to experience a freezing room, is that an option?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gsy987

Bronze

Post by gsy987 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:49 am

Is anyone doing the MAP program that they just emailed us about?

sxyrylqq

New

Post by sxyrylqq » Fri May 27, 2016 11:58 am

Does anyone applied housing for Munger?
I asked LC last week and they said they have put me on waitlist and suggest me to look for off campus housing. =(

gazorpazorp

Bronze

Post by gazorpazorp » Fri May 27, 2016 12:11 pm

sxyrylqq wrote:Does anyone applied housing for Munger?
I asked LC last week and they said they have put me on waitlist and suggest me to look for off campus housing. =(
Wait. You had to actually ask them in order to be made aware that they had put you on the WL?

sxyrylqq

New

Post by sxyrylqq » Fri May 27, 2016 12:56 pm

gazorpazorp wrote:
Wait. You had to actually ask them in order to be made aware that they had put you on the WL?
oh I asked them if there was any room available and they said they already have a waitlist and will put me on it ..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:11 pm

I am moving into Munger in the next few days. Live there! It's better than the LC!

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Fri May 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Li'l Sebastian wrote:Do the windows open up all the way in the LC?

Like if I want to experience a freezing room, is that an option?
Yeah, they do.

sxyrylqq

New

Post by sxyrylqq » Fri May 27, 2016 9:56 pm

GFox345 wrote:
I am moving into Munger in the next few days. Live there! It's better than the LC!
I submitted my application this Tuesday and haven't hear anything back yet. Do you know how long should I expect their response? Thanks!

basedvulpes

Gold

Post by basedvulpes » Sat May 28, 2016 7:45 am

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”