Any insight/advice? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
daniel68

New

Re: Any insight/advice?

Post by daniel68 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Last edited by daniel68 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Ash3460 wrote:Arizona State took 40 transfers from Summit last year. Schools are only concerned with the stats of their incoming 1L class because thats all that matters for rankings. If you really want to be a lawyer and you have decided to go to Summit, go, do the best you can, and apply to transfer next year. I know several people who have graduated from there, every single one employed, one with a clerkship. I'm fully aware of the reputation but don't take advice from people who are only regurgitating other people's opinions. If they don't live in phoenix they don't know.
It's fine to have different opinions from the TLS consensus, but just don't get mad when we point out that our arguments are based on real job statistics and yours are based on anecdotes.

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:48 am

OP I have to stop you!

As a lawyer in AZ fully cognizant of the legal market I stress that you stay far away from this decision. With ASU moving right next to Summit next year it's sure to be closed very soon. The only things Summit has going for it were PT (which ASU has now) and a downtown location (again ASU). Summit students all bank on transferring to ASU or UA whom take around 30 combined. When OCI rolls around (especially at ASU) knowing that you transferred from Summit will put you in a hole that limits you to immigration law or bust(and that's a good result). I know of one person at Jones Skelon Hochuli but he was too smart to be at Summit anyway. OP please don't, Summit defines what a bad Law School is, for profit 2x he cost of UA or ASU with 1/10 the job prospect and 2x the size.

With the status of LS right now you could get a 155-160 and get into a solid T2 like Kansas or Oklahoma or Nebraska or even find a small state niche school like SD or Idaho and have an much better shot. Seriously.

daniel68

New

Post by daniel68 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:32 am

Last edited by daniel68 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniel68

New

Post by daniel68 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:41 am

Last edited by daniel68 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Ash3460 wrote:
FullRamboLSGrad wrote:OP I have to stop you!

As a lawyer in AZ fully cognizant of the legal market I stress that you stay far away from this decision. With ASU moving right next to Summit next year it's sure to be closed very soon. The only things Summit has going for it were PT (which ASU has now) and a downtown location (again ASU). Summit students all bank on transferring to ASU or UA whom take around 30 combined. When OCI rolls around (especially at ASU) knowing that you transferred from Summit will put you in a hole that limits you to immigration law or bust(and that's a good result). I know of one person at Jones Skelon Hochuli but he was too smart to be at Summit anyway. OP please don't, Summit defines what a bad Law School is, for profit 2x he cost of UA or ASU with 1/10 the job prospect and 2x the size.

With the status of LS right now you could get a 155-160 and get into a solid T2 like Kansas or Oklahoma or Nebraska or even find a small state niche school like SD or Idaho and have an much better shot. Seriously.
Things may have changed since fhe numbers you are quoting. Asu accepted 44 from summit in 2014 and im not sure about u of a. I dont know what effect moving to the new campus will have on transfers but i think if anything it would be more. That will be next year so if it is a negative amount that will absolutely affect him but it doenst seem likely that they would want to shrink class size with a new campus.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... der-collar
Ash,

There are a few problems with this.

1. This is an unnecessarily expensive way to do LS, 1,000 for a LSAT class and 250 in fees is a lot less than 40K in tuition from a school that in 2013 had 310 matriculants (per 2013 509 ABA Report) and in 2014 had 56 1L Transfers (to ANY school) that amounts to the top 18% of the class with the ability to transfer out. This includes transferring pointlessly to TTTs and TTs. If OP is able to break 155 (which isn't that difficult at this time his options are much greater). Not to mention the fortunate 14% who transferred to ASU.

2. In regards to ASUs downtown campus, with a flux of Law Students moving closer to Phoenix and away from Tempe there will be a glut of higher quality LS grads that will easily gobble up any clerkship a Summit grad snuck into. I presume that this new building will increase ASUs UNSWR ranking a few spots higher as it will contain things like a bigger library (and other UNSWR bull****). I also presume, that ASUs impressive government attorney score will rise, cutting into Summit's highest asset it's local government attorney placement.

3. For those unfortunate bunch in the bottom 82% of the class they will graduate from a LS with a LST score of 39.4 (excluding LS Funded positions). A deeper dive will show that ~15 of the remaining 254 matriculates will find jobs that aren't Solo/Traffic Ticket defense practice groups of 3. In fact, they have around a 40% underemployment score and 21% working part time (probably for those small practice groups where Summit places 20% of its grads).

4. Even if ASU decides to take on more transfers (which seems likely but probably not in large quantities given their rise in UNSWR and desire to better the school). You should look at their facebook pages 'reviews'. One student gave it 5 stars because they heard from Summit faster than their other applications :lol:

5. And lastly, should OP find himself in the bottom 82% of his class, and Summit is allowing more transfers out I'd imagine the structural stability of the school will be shaken. Summit would likely respond by lowering curves, or instituting the Pass/Fail option they considered a few years ago. They won't be able to make many more offers, last year they had 1300 applications :!: with 910 enrollment offers :roll:

daniel68

New

Post by daniel68 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Last edited by daniel68 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Also in AZ Market (recent grad with employment) and I tend to agree with FullRamboLSGrad. Summit is risky. Statistics are against you to transfer and ASU/UofA grads are instantly a step ahead of you when it comes to snagging a job if you aren't fortunate enough to transfer.

If you can transfer though, you'll be fine. But that's a pretty scary risk IMO

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:19 am

OP update?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”