Because I'm just curious... Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
KDgirl

New

Because I'm just curious...

Post by KDgirl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Anyone want to share or post the best personal statement they read during this cycle on TLS? I like to read them for some reason. Don't judge. :)

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Re: Because I'm just curious...

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Mod edit: don't save a PS that someone has taken down and then post it later, that's just creepy.

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:17 pm

Hand wrote:
weird italian heroes obsession ps
This has to be a joke, right? ...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:19 pm

secadc11 wrote:
Hand wrote:
Are you trying to tell me you don't like italian heroes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Hand wrote:
secadc11 wrote:
Hand wrote:
Probably only enough to write a week's worth of suggestions for the suggestion box.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:23 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=247965

A few posts down.
I don't know what it is about that. But it literally brings to me tears and audible laughter in my office. I legit cannot finish it. Thought it was just maybe the day he posted it, but same story today.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:25 pm

A good ps would have described how this individual overcame that hardship by learning to make his/her own italian hero. The intro is gold though.

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:26 pm

SBL wrote:I’ve been called a zealot. No, not in the traditional sense. In this day and age, I hear it used time and time again to demean, dehumanize, and belittle. Honest passion is radicalized to the point of mockery, not by hatred, but by fear. We are surrounded by it. Fear of change, of difference. I, however, call it something else. I am motivated by love for others and for myself. This is acceptance. I believe in a corporeal form of self-love.

The summer before I turned 8, I went to stay with my Gammy. A woman used to feeding a large family, she took extra delight in giving me all my favorites on a daily basis. We had pancakes and bacon for breakfast and government cheese and grapes at night before we curled up on the couch to sing songs from her hymnal. During the day, I would help pick peas in the garden and shell them on the front porch. I read back issues of my Gammy’s stash of tabloids, like the National Enquirer and Weekly World News. It was a normal summer. But when my parents picked me up, they were horrified. Because their skinny little kid was suddenly kind of fat. My totally normal summer was suddenly not.

My parents immediately put me on a diet. At that age, I didn’t entirely understand what was going on. I suffered, though. I watched my mother lose weight through drinking Diet Coke and not eating anything of substance, because she was so appalled at my weight. I saw her survive bariatric surgery. Her eyelashes fell out due to malnutrition. I knew that fat was a bad thing to be. But, I didn’t understand why. And, much to my family’s consternation, instead of losing weight, I got fatter. By the time I was 14, I was barely over 5 feet tall, and was pushing 200 pounds.

I become so divorced from my body as the seat of myself that it stunted the way I interacted with the world. I stopped doing anything physical unless I absolutely had to. I lost any semblance of friends I had before.

My mind was all that mattered. That is, until I began to feel again. After a memorable and intense evening alone with Britney-era Justin Timberlake covering YouMagazine, I realized I deserved to feel pleasure, too. I began to research online, and became acquainted with the then-underground movement, Health Endures through Individual Feats of External Resilience (HEIFER).

I’ve been involved with this organization for 7 years now, and I have never been more firm in my belief that every individual can and SHOULD love and accept themselves as they are. The fat acceptance movement, as I see it, is primarily about politics and human rights. These are the critical, most important factors determing our experiences as fat people. But because fat is inextricably bound up in matters of health, at least from the perspective of our oppressors, the HEIFER component is a critical tangent of our movement. For this reason, I hope to attend law school. I strive to advocate for this population, to use the law to advance the HEIFER agenda, including amending the Americans with Disabilities Act and striking down the oppressive food pyramid.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:27 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:A good ps would have described how this individual overcame that hardship by learning to make his/her own italian hero. The intro is gold though.
BUT DAT LEADERSHIP!!!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Hand wrote:
secadc11 wrote:
Hand wrote:
i hope it's not a joke because it sucks.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:32 pm

Hand wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:A good ps would have described how this individual overcame that hardship by learning to make his/her own italian hero. The intro is gold though.
BUT DAT LEADERSHIP!!!
He never really did rebel like Washington, though. He didn't even sneak into the dining hall at night dressed in native garb and dump the feta cheese into the closest available body of water. He just meekly protested and wrote letters. He's more like the UN than the thirteen colonies.

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:35 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
Hand wrote:
secadc11 wrote:
Hand wrote:
i hope it's not a joke because it sucks.
I mean, it would certainly be a suck-y joke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”