. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
dabigchina

Gold

Re: Not the Sharpest 2L in the Shed

Post by dabigchina » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Hand wrote:
haus wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Gray wrote:
usn26 wrote:filter the BS from the actual class content.
This is the one skill that law school actually confers though, right?
Was I supposed to develop that skill? B/c I just tune out when people start talking.
People are the primary source of BS, so simply tuning them out would seem to be an efficient practice.
The hard thing for me is to tune back in when the professor starts talking again, after you've gone down some internet rabbit hole when there was a "discussion" in class
Also in this camp. Who are these 2Ls and 3Ls who argue with the professor in lectures with no participation component.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:31 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Hand wrote:
haus wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Gray wrote:
Was I supposed to develop that skill? B/c I just tune out when people start talking.
People are the primary source of BS, so simply tuning them out would seem to be an efficient practice.
The hard thing for me is to tune back in when the professor starts talking again, after you've gone down some internet rabbit hole when there was a "discussion" in class
Also in this camp. Who are these 2Ls and 3Ls who argue with the professor in lectures with no participation component.
You guys have those people?

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Hand wrote:
haus wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Gray wrote:
PR
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Hand wrote:
haus wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Gray wrote:
You guys have those people?
So
Many
of
These
People.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 am

Is anyone actually still driven in law school at this point? If so, please share your secret.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:49 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:Is anyone actually still driven in law school at this point? If so, please share your secret.
Law Review editorial board for next year. (Not me, but if anyone in my class is it would those people.)

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Gray wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:Is anyone actually still driven in law school at this point? If so, please share your secret.
Driven in the sense that I'm exhaustedly plodding forward, trying to get good grades? My secret is not wanting biglaw.
there's my problem. Biglaw

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:
Gray wrote:
Driven in the sense that I'm exhaustedly plodding forward, trying to get good grades? My secret is not wanting biglaw.
I try to use the impending collapse of the economy as motivation. Unsuccessfully, but I give myself credit for the effort.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
Gray wrote:
I try to use the impending collapse of the economy as motivation. Unsuccessfully, but I give myself credit for the effort.
I'm trying: good grades=clerkships=mitigate chance of no offer/downsizing after economic collapse. (Also, clerkships might help when robots take over more legal jobs.)
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:21 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
Gray wrote:
I try to use the impending collapse of the economy as motivation.
Literally the only reason I still show up to class sometimes. Need good grades in case I get shitcanned.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:55 pm

i just like to remember that life is empty and meaningless and then putting in the minimal effort it takes to read for 2l classes seems like just as big as a waste of my time as anything else so i do it!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Does this make you more or less likely to do work?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 pm

dabigchina wrote:Does this make you more or less likely to do work?
more!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:11 am

Gray wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Does this make you more or less likely to do work?
more!
:o !
bucki going from "neither X nor Y is intrinsically worth doing" to "therefore I do Y!" is exceptionally poor reasoning even for a law student

I still give fucks due to skipping on big law. I am ready to bow down to our future robot overlords, though.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
Gray wrote:
economic collapse isn't real right? our economy is growing. we're gonna be winning bigly soon. we will have trumped everyone.

But robot overlords are actually terrifying. Was discussing with SO just last night about when we think consumers and clients will be willing to give up the peace of mind from knowing that a human looked at low level work (mostly law and medical) in exchange for a robot doing it at 1/10 of the price.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
Gray wrote:
economic collapse isn't real right? our economy is growing. we're gonna be winning bigly soon. we will have trumped everyone.

But robot overlords are actually terrifying. Was discussing with SO just last night about when we think consumers and clients will be willing to give up the peace of mind from knowing that a human looked at low level work (mostly law and medical) in exchange for a robot doing it at 1/10 of the price.
More likely 1/1000 of the price. And the comfort of knowing that they are less likely to get screwed over by a rookie mistake for the inexperienced (yet still expensive) person.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
Gray wrote:

Not too worried about that. Will probably really kick in too late to ruin my life (relative to, you know), and I can always jump over to consulting (probably not MBB, but something that would keep me from starving).

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm

haus wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
Gray wrote:

More likely 1/1000 of the price. And the comfort of knowing that they are less likely to get screwed over by a rookie mistake for the inexperienced (yet still expensive) person.
I think once the current generation of 20-40 year olds are running things, they might be more comfortable with the idea of not having the human aspect, but I'm not sure the majority of the 40-60 year old generation will be willing to completely automate low level functions, even if the machine performs at a higher rate and with less mistakes. I think there is still some distrust within that age group, as the tech hasn't been around them their entire lives.

Caveat: I may also be far off-base there and businesses and consumers generally might be more trusting of tech for highly humanized fields than the people I know.

ETA: being extremely young sucks, but knowing that most people in my age group will actually be getting into law later than I am and are more likely to be impacted is comforting

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Interestingly the about old people not trusting technology (side note, I am several years older than the top of your range of young people...). Yet we are turning more and more normal decisions over to computers/machines, often with little to no thought. Few people bother to shift the gears in their car on their own anymore, and more and more computers are stepping into handling tasks such as stopping your car before you hit something (back when I started driving we were expected to apply the breaks ourselves, even crazy stuff like modulating break pressure on slippery surfaces... go figure).

Even older people are becoming more comfortable letting computer programs handle their tax filings (where they are aware that they are handing over control). While a discomfort likely does exist, people as a whole seem to be willing to adapt pretty quickly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Yep, I agree. I think ultimately the real key will be after the first wave of technology-related malpractice suits hit the Courts of Appeals. I think humans will be pretty quick to adapt; the potential cost savings are simply too large. If the cost savings are offset by significant malpractice liability, the growth may well be tempered (a human attorney making a mistake isn't malpractice without negligence. Will relying upon computer software without direct human control and review be considered negligent? We shall see). If those suits favor law firms, computers will be in, and low level work/staff attorney work will become much less necessary.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 pm

zhenders wrote: If when those suits favor law firms, computers will be in, and low level work/staff attorney work will become much less necessary.
FTFY
There is no way BigLaw loses those cases--they will have their best computers working on them :D
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:16 pm

What are you folks doing for Spring Break? Mine doesn't start until tomorrow, but I stopped going to classes yesterday at noon. Jaxx and I will be heading south for our honeymoon in Big Forks TN and then seeing my folks down in GA.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:What are you folks doing for Spring Break? Mine doesn't start until tomorrow, but I stopped going to classes yesterday at noon. Jaxx and I will be heading south for our honeymoon in Big Forks TN and then seeing my folks down in GA.
My spring break starts Sunday (two assignments due on Sat), i will spend time on catching up as things have been a bit crazy in work/life (another round of prep for the continental rescheduled congressional testimony, my daughter is going into the hospital tomorrow morning for corrective procedure because her broken arm is not healing as they had hoped...) which has caused me to be beind on well... almost everything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”