What type of laptop are you going to use for law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What laptop will you use for 1L?

MacBook Air
31%
MacBook Pro
44%
Lenovo Yoga
5%
Lenovo Flex
2%
Dell XPS
7%
Asus Zenbook
3%
Toshiba Chromebook
2%
Surface Pro
5%
Samsung ATIV
0%

Total votes: 405

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Post by bl1nds1ght » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 am

Gray wrote:I have a big laptop that I plan to leave at home and I want to use a small tablet with a keyboard at school (still deciding between surface 2 and iPad). Is that a terrible idea? Should I just get a small laptop?
Boss just replaced her laptop with a Surface 2 and she LOVES it. She's no scrub, either (definitely a power user), so if it works for her, I'd imagine it'd work for you.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:18 am

Eladriel

Bronze

Post by Eladriel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:21 am

Pen and paper for me.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:25 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:35 am

Has anyone tried out any of the new Lenovo Thinkpad Yogas? I'm leaning towards the 12.5" model, although I'm pretty tempted by the new Macbook Pro also. I'm a PC person so I'm also curious about anyone who has recently switched from a PC to a Mac.

usernotfound

Bronze

Post by usernotfound » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:44 am

I think the poll should be changed to reflect what operating system people are choosing. The problem with the current listings is that Apple has a Monopoly on both of their hardware and software offerings, whereas Microsoft products are available on quite literally hundreds of different hardware manufacturers. Only listing a few brands and a couple models isn't going to accurately reflect what people are using, if that matters.

Anyways, I'll be going with a PC. Hopefully Windows 10 retail release will be available by then. Might have to buy a new PC as my laptop is getting old, but I've always used PC's, and if you know how to properly take care of them, they don't ever slow down and have much greater flexibility in terms of software and customization.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:46 am

I am terrible at focusing with a laptop due to internet access. The problem is I write really slow and type like 130 wpm, and I'm a lot better organizing digital files as opposed to physical ones.

I might just install some internet blocking software and see how that works.

Blockofcheese

New

Post by Blockofcheese » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 am

I've had my macbook air for about a year and love it. Fingers crossed that it makes it through law school without my clumsiness destroying it. This one is a replacement for the one that I accidentally spilled 4 drops of tea onto the keyboard and destroyed :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Indy16

Bronze

Post by Indy16 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Gray wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Eladriel wrote:Pen and paper for me.
For in class notes +1, can't focus for shit with a laptop out
+1.
+1

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Gray wrote:I have a big laptop that I plan to leave at home and I want to use a small tablet with a keyboard at school (still deciding between surface 2 and iPad). Is that a terrible idea? Should I just get a small laptop?
My brother's job issued surfaces to all their employees, he's an engineer, said the thing was completely useless and it broke/crashed within the first two weeks.

ladybug_231

New

Post by ladybug_231 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Anyone planning on getting the new 12in macbook retina? I'm tempted but nervous about the solo port...

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:24 pm

I guess I'm one of the few nerdy, tech guys on the forum. I plan on upgrading to a Thinkpad X1 Carbon sometime in the Summer. It's the best balance of portability (battery life, weight, thickness) and productivity (1440p resolution, trackpoint, great keyboard) that I can find.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Dog wrote:I am terrible at focusing with a laptop due to internet access. The problem is I write really slow and type like 130 wpm, and I'm a lot better organizing digital files as opposed to physical ones.

I might just install some internet blocking software and see how that works.
Macs have an app for this. I have a friend who only made it through senior year if undergrad because of it. You can just limit your access so you can still do research but not access social media.

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:39 pm

Gray wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:She's no scrub
hahaha well that just made my decision for me.
lol, happy I could help. An entire management team of ours has them and they seem to have high praise. I can't speak to the concerns from the IT guy above, though, as that's not my bag.
abl wrote:Has anyone tried out any of the new Lenovo Thinkpad Yogas? I'm leaning towards the 12.5" model, although I'm pretty tempted by the new Macbook Pro also. I'm a PC person so I'm also curious about anyone who has recently switched from a PC to a Mac.
The investigation firm in DC where my ex works runs almost exclusively these laptops and she digs hers. She's also been a MBP user for about a decade, so I think that speaks to Lenovo's quality.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:43 pm

I have been in love with my surface at undergrad (had an RT for first couple years, upgraded to pro a few months ago) and plan on continuing to use it for law school. Also have a big, older, (but very good specs, so still decent) laptop I will probably bring as a back up.

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Not to bash on the Surface (I hope ya'll are talking about the Pro/s), but I don't think it's a great choice for anyone that isn't looking for pen functionality. You can find machines with similar specs in a better form factor for cheaper. My roommate owned one for a while before getting a rMBP and I couldn't get past the sub-par (albeit usable) keyboard and the fact that you couldn't easily rest the machine on your lap (because of the kickstand). It's also really, really heavy if you're planning on using it as a tablet (think two-hands, not one).

Just my .02 cents. :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:58 pm

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Post by PrizeFighter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:28 pm

I have been researching getting a Surface Pro 3, and as far as I have seen, the Surface Pro series (not the RT) is the only laptop/tablet hybrid that will run the Examsoft program that most law schools use for finals. Is this the only hybrid that runs full windows?

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:43 pm

I'm gonna get the new Asus Zenbook. It's pretty much a half price macbook air, but I don't like OSX so I'm rolling with Asus

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:38 pm

PrizeFighter wrote:I have been researching getting a Surface Pro 3, and as far as I have seen, the Surface Pro series (not the RT) is the only laptop/tablet hybrid that will run the Examsoft program that most law schools use for finals. Is this the only hybrid that runs full windows?
I'm not familiar with Examsoft, but I assume that it'll run on any Mac OS X or Windows PC. That leaves a lot of options open if you're dead set on a laptop/tablet hybrid.

Honestly though, I think most people are better off with a standalone tablet and laptop. You'll deal with a bit more collective bulk and potentially a few hundred dollars in additional cost, but the benefits are pretty immense. I'd recommend going to a store and trying out the hybrid solution in question before committing because holding and using a surface as a tablet is a heck of a lot different than noodling around on an iPad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Post by PrizeFighter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:01 pm

From Examsoft's website:

Minimum System Requirements:

SofTest can be used on most modern Microsoft Windows based computers (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). Please see specific system requirements as noted below.
SofTest cannot be used on virtual operating systems such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion or any other virtual environments.

For exam taking best practices (including disabling antivirus programs), click Here!

PC Requirements:
•Operating System: 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
•Windows 10 is NOT supported
•Only genuine, U.S.-English, French, Portuguese, Swedish, and British versions of Windows Operating Systems are supported.
•ExamSoft does not support Tablet or Convertible devices other than Surface Pro 1, 2 & 3. See below for those Minimum System Requirements.
•CPU Processor: 1.86Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo or greater
•RAM: highest recommended for the operating system or 2GB
•Hard Drive: highest recommended for the operating system or 1GB of available space.
•Internet connection for SofTest Download, Registration, Exam Download and Upload.
•Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher.
•Adobe Reader (Version 9 or 11) is required for exams containing PDF attachments.
•Administrator level account permissions (Instructions)

Surface Pro Requirements:
•Surface Pro 1, 2 & 3 (Surface RT tablets are not supported).
•External Keyboard (USB or Bluetooth) required. Bluetooth keyboards must be paired prior to launching exam.
•Hard Drive: Minimum of 1GB available space.
•Adobe Reader XI is required for exams containing PDF attachments.
•Internet connection for SofTest Download, Registration, Exam Download and Upload.
•Screen Resolution must be 1920x1080.
•Administrator level account permissions.

SofTest can be used on most modern Mac OS X based computers (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). Please see specific system requirements as noted below.
SofTest cannot be used on virtual operating systems such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion or any other virtual environments.

For exam taking best practices (including disabling antivirus programs), click Here!

Mac Requirements
•Operating System: OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), OS X 10.7 (Lion), OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), and 10.10 (Yosemite). Only genuine versions of Mac Operating Systems are supported.
•CPU: Intel processor
•RAM: 2GB
•Hard Drive: 1GB or higher available space
•Server version of Mac OS X is not supported
•Administrator level account permissions (Instructions)

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:10 pm

PrizeFighter wrote:From Examsoft's website: ...
I imagine that they're trying to point out explicitly that the Surface RT tablets aren't eligible because they run Windows RT, not the full x86 version. Most manufacturers have since caught on and avoid Windows RT like the plague. Consequently, most recent convertibles now use full x86 versions of Windows and should have no problems.

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Post by PrizeFighter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:15 pm

commandercup wrote:
PrizeFighter wrote:From Examsoft's website: ...
I imagine that they're trying to point out explicitly that the Surface RT tablets aren't eligible because they run Windows RT, not the full x86 version. Most manufacturers have since caught on and avoid Windows RT like the plague. Consequently, most recent convertibles now use full x86 versions of Windows and should have no problems.
Yeah, that is exactly what I was wondering about. Like, was the website out of date because the Pro was the only convertible that ran full windows at the time, or is there something else about the Pro that makes it compatible where other convertibles were not. Thanks for the clarification.

Also a bit worried about that "will not work on Windows 10" thing, so we will see how long it takes for compatibility for those of us contemplating upgrading windows when 10 comes out.

CaptainJapan

Bronze

Post by CaptainJapan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:16 pm

ladybug_231 wrote:Anyone planning on getting the new 12in macbook retina? I'm tempted but nervous about the solo port...

I think I'm in this camp. I share your reservations about that port though, and might just pull the trigger one of the retina macbook pros. It's probably more power than I need for law school, but at least it will still be able to hold its own in a few years time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”