What type of laptop are you going to use for law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What laptop will you use for 1L?

MacBook Air
31%
MacBook Pro
44%
Lenovo Yoga
5%
Lenovo Flex
2%
Dell XPS
7%
Asus Zenbook
3%
Toshiba Chromebook
2%
Surface Pro
5%
Samsung ATIV
0%

Total votes: 405

wsag826

Bronze

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Post by wsag826 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:21 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
AlwaysLurking wrote:long time pc user currently debating the switch to mac.
I've stuck with pc for so long because i like to lie to myself and pretend I have time for gaming. When I bought my laptop 5 years ago, 1080p and solid graphics cards for under $1000 kept me in the pc camp. Also windows 7 was almost perfect.

Now it seems like everyone is putting out hybrids and windows 8 is annoying, so I'm thinking about switching to mac for that "pure laptop" experience. I hate how overpriced they are in terms of what you actually get under the hood. I also will always associate macs with obscure ports that need a dongle just to connect to anything in the real world. I'm sure that's a pretty outdated stereotype.

I do like the "one stop shop" aspect of the apple experience. As I think someone said earlier, some pc manufacturers have children and monkeys staffing their customer service depts. Also no one except maybe Lenovo comes close to apple's build quality.

Ugh I'm torn...
Why switch now when you're just going to get used to using OSX for three years and then have to re-acclimate to Windows when you start working? The real word (aside from some art/design) uses Windows.

You can have a "real laptop experience," whatever that is, on a PC. Just pay a little more (still less than a mac) and get a nice slick ultrabook with a high-res screen and whatever bells and whistles you want. And standard ports. And downgrade rights to Win 7 if you really can't deal with 8.
I considered switching from OSX to a PC for this reason, but ultimately could not rationalize it. Windows is legitimately a mess right now. Corporations, businesses, and organizations are not using Windows 8 and they certainly aren't going to be using Windows 10 anytime soon. Frankly, a large percentage are still using XP. I don't think any laptop user is at an advantage buying a Windows ultrabook if their goal is to be acclimated to Windows by the time they enter a firm or public interest organization. Because Windows changes practically every week and it will be a hassle to deal with today, tomorrow, and into the indefinite future until MS just admits Windows 7 was the best thing they've made in a while and stops trying to be Google and Apple.

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 am

Anyone know anything about the processor in the basic $699 Zenbook (Intel M 5Y10, 0.8 Ghz) ? 0.8 Ghz doesn't sound very good, but my knowledge of processors is limited. Would it be better to spend the extra $150 to get a core i5?

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:56 am

FuturePanhandler wrote:Anyone know anything about the processor in the basic $699 Zenbook (Intel M 5Y10, 0.8 Ghz) ? 0.8 Ghz doesn't sound very good, but my knowledge of processors is limited. Would it be better to spend the extra $150 to get a core i5?
It handles mosr basic browser stuff, multiple tabs, common programs, etc.

Gonna come up short for video editing or gaming, for sure. I'm gonna get one myself since it's just gonna be a OneNote/Chrome machine.

breadcarp

New

Post by breadcarp » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:18 am

wsag826 wrote:I considered switching from OSX to a PC for this reason, but ultimately could not rationalize it. Windows is legitimately a mess right now. Corporations, businesses, and organizations are not using Windows 8 and they certainly aren't going to be using Windows 10 anytime soon. Frankly, a large percentage are still using XP. I don't think any laptop user is at an advantage buying a Windows ultrabook if their goal is to be acclimated to Windows by the time they enter a firm or public interest organization. Because Windows changes practically every week and it will be a hassle to deal with today, tomorrow, and into the indefinite future until MS just admits Windows 7 was the best thing they've made in a while and stops trying to be Google and Apple.
In addition to windows being a mess right now, office and outlook for mac are working really really nice. My onedrive syncs to my mac better than it does to my win8 pc. I'm still a huge fan of windows desktops, but for laptops apple is putting out a better product at its price bracket.

Regarding the previous comment on gaming, you may be able to get away with light gaming on a mac, particularly if you dual boot windows onto it with bootcamp. Even with the same hardware, many games run much better that way. Double check with IT to make sure dual booting is allowed since these are the computers you'll use for exams (I know that NYU(?) specifically objects to dual boot software).

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:44 pm

breadcarp wrote:
wsag826 wrote:I considered switching from OSX to a PC for this reason, but ultimately could not rationalize it. Windows is legitimately a mess right now. Corporations, businesses, and organizations are not using Windows 8 and they certainly aren't going to be using Windows 10 anytime soon. Frankly, a large percentage are still using XP. I don't think any laptop user is at an advantage buying a Windows ultrabook if their goal is to be acclimated to Windows by the time they enter a firm or public interest organization. Because Windows changes practically every week and it will be a hassle to deal with today, tomorrow, and into the indefinite future until MS just admits Windows 7 was the best thing they've made in a while and stops trying to be Google and Apple.
In addition to windows being a mess right now, office and outlook for mac are working really really nice. My onedrive syncs to my mac better than it does to my win8 pc. I'm still a huge fan of windows desktops, but for laptops apple is putting out a better product at its price bracket.

Regarding the previous comment on gaming, you may be able to get away with light gaming on a mac, particularly if you dual boot windows onto it with bootcamp. Even with the same hardware, many games run much better that way. Double check with IT to make sure dual booting is allowed since these are the computers you'll use for exams (I know that NYU(?) specifically objects to dual boot software).
These are really good points. I used Macs for years then in grad school had to use a PC (main software used is PC only), and I didn't really feel like it eased the transition to working in jobs where XP is still the norm. Windows desktop PCs are way cheaper than laptops anyway, so I just used my Mac laptop in class for notes/papers and then got a cheap Windows box for when I need to use Windows-only software or play games. That setup worked out great for me (and I still use my PC for gaming and occasional hardware futzing).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:02 pm

I've got my eye on one of those brand new Gold MacBooks!

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:14 pm

FuturePanhandler wrote:Anyone know anything about the processor in the basic $699 Zenbook (Intel M 5Y10, 0.8 Ghz) ? 0.8 Ghz doesn't sound very good, but my knowledge of processors is limited. Would it be better to spend the extra $150 to get a core i5?
Core Ms make for Chromebook-like experiences. If you're OK with occasional slowness and don't use processor-intensive applications/games, a Core M will be fine.
Shelbinole wrote:I've got my eye on one of those brand new Gold MacBooks!
Space grey is my jam. I'd get one if they could somehow squeeze in an i5 processor.

curlietop86

Bronze

Post by curlietop86 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:54 pm

curlietop86 wrote:so i really want one - the lightness and smaller size being my main factors - but the Core M processor speed is really making me hesitate. reviewers have said even having a bunch of tabs open makes their computer speed dragggggggg.
Yeah, avoid Chrome like the plague if you end up with one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:07 pm

commandercup wrote:
curlietop86 wrote:so i really want one - the lightness and smaller size being my main factors - but the Core M processor speed is really making me hesitate. reviewers have said even having a bunch of tabs open makes their computer speed dragggggggg.
Yeah, avoid Chrome like the plague if you end up with one.
The Core M processors kind of suck at this point in their development, and really just speak to the weird fetishization computer manufacturers have with thinness. They're slower and provide less battery life in the name of thinness and I guess being fanless? The 5th Gen Intel processors have had great results thus far and I would much rather have one of those than a Core M. For all te Air lovers, unless you're hooked on Mac OS, the XPS 13 is tcr.

w0w

Silver

Post by w0w » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:36 pm

checkin2014 wrote:I have a MacBook air but will buy another laptop (pc) and take both with me to law school.
Not sure which one to purchase though. Anyone know if Lenovo is good?

Lenovo is awesome. I have one as my work computer and I know that it is at the very least 5 years old. It's a little clunky (size wise) but is still going strong i have had it for three years and there were at least two owners before me that i know of. I'm really impressed by it actually. Also, I leave it in my car during hot Texas summers and (more mild) winters and it's still never had a problem.

Still not sure what I'm going to do for law school though.
Last edited by w0w on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:38 pm

I used to be a ThinkPad fanboy. But my last one, the x200, was very plasticky and fragile, and overall well below the quality of a MacBook. That combined with their recent scandal has me staying away from them for the future

wsag826

Bronze

Post by wsag826 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:45 pm

I love Chrome and am addicted but have to say...it is a battery killer on Macbooks. Safari sucks IMO but doesn't suffer from the same battery drain as Chrome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:56 pm

Thinkpads usually have sweet keyboards and battery life. Two things that will probably be tested pretty heavily in law school.

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:21 pm

My Thinkpad at work is an X1 Carbon and I love it. But the price difference is minimal versus a Mac so I'll be going back to Mac once I turn it in.

eliotb

New

Post by eliotb » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Definitely buying a Mac but I'm torn between the new MBs and MBPs. The air is ultra portable but the pro seems like it would handle bigger files. I've had macs since high school and my current Mac is going on 6 years. It desperately needs a new hard drive but is significantly heavier than the new macs.

Anyone have thoughts on dual screen set ups at home? The new MacBook has that funky C port that doesn't look super useful in terms of setting up external displays.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:10 pm

Just get the MBP retina, same price, better performance, actually has ports, more storage. Only negative is that it's slightly heavier.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cradle6

Bronze

Post by Cradle6 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:11 pm

I still a 15" MacBook Pro that I bought in 2011.

I just now threw in 16gb of RAM (formerly 4gb) and an amazingly good SSD (Sandisk extreme pro) and that gave it some new life for sure.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Cradle6 wrote:I still a 15" MacBook Pro that I bought in 2011.

I just now threw in 16gb of RAM (formerly 4gb) and an amazingly good SSD (Sandisk extreme pro) and that gave it some new life for sure.
Anyone know if you can upgrade the new RMBPs?

rysiir

New

Post by rysiir » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 pm

abl wrote:
Cradle6 wrote:I still a 15" MacBook Pro that I bought in 2011.

Anyone know if you can upgrade the new RMBPs?
From what I understand rMBPs can't really be upgraded because everything is soldered down/together. There are products out there that can expand your storage (such as Transcend JetDrive Lite) without the need to lug around an external drive.

breadcarp

New

Post by breadcarp » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:54 pm

eliotb wrote:Anyone have thoughts on dual screen set ups at home? The new MacBook has that funky C port that doesn't look super useful in terms of setting up external displays.
In the long term the usb-c is sure to be a great thing, but for now its kind of a pain. Apple is already selling a dock that will split your usb-c into a monitor port, a usb3, and another usb-c. They come in vga or hdmi flavors so thats something. You could also split the usb-c into multiple usb ports and get a usb monitor, but you may need to wait for thirdparty companies to actually design those docks. With so few computers using usb-c so far, it may be a while...

Or as you said you could just get the mbp, which is more baller in every way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CaptainJapan

Bronze

Post by CaptainJapan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:31 pm

breadcarp wrote:
eliotb wrote:Anyone have thoughts on dual screen set ups at home? The new MacBook has that funky C port that doesn't look super useful in terms of setting up external displays.
In the long term the usb-c is sure to be a great thing, but for now its kind of a pain. Apple is already selling a dock that will split your usb-c into a monitor port, a usb3, and another usb-c. They come in vga or hdmi flavors so thats something. You could also split the usb-c into multiple usb ports and get a usb monitor, but you may need to wait for thirdparty companies to actually design those docks. With so few computers using usb-c so far, it may be a while...

Or as you said you could just get the mbp, which is more baller in every way.

Pulled the trigger on a new MBP with maxed out memory/processor. It is a beast.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:18 am

ughhh so bummed that the slickdeals X1 Carbon Thinkpad deal ran out before I could buy it :(

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:03 pm

CaptainJapan wrote:Pulled the trigger on a new MBP with maxed out memory/processor. It is a beast.
How much does this run you? Is it worth the upgrade over MBA?

quanteniacma

New

Post by quanteniacma » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:33 am

I bought the Zenbook with a Intel M 5Y71 (1.2~2.9GHz) last month.
It's really lightweight, and it works great while just running Office or doing some light web browsing.
However, freezes from time to time, and battery life is mediocre at best. :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”