What type of laptop are you going to use for law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What laptop will you use for 1L?

MacBook Air
31%
MacBook Pro
44%
Lenovo Yoga
5%
Lenovo Flex
2%
Dell XPS
7%
Asus Zenbook
3%
Toshiba Chromebook
2%
Surface Pro
5%
Samsung ATIV
0%

Total votes: 405

IsThisForReal

Gold

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:33 am

I think I'm gonna get a Inspiron 7000 series 13" with the hybrid 500 gb hard drive. The XPS's look nice but 256 gb just isn't enough for me and there's no way I'm spending $1800 on a laptop.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:26 pm

neubreed

New

Post by neubreed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:Ive never used a mac, is it hard to get used to?

I just want a 14-15" screen that's readable outside, nice keyboard, and ability to do some gaming. So far I've heard that Samsung might be my best bet, but it's expensive.
Sorry for the crazy late reply, but no, absolutely not, macs are incredibly user friendly. One of the majorly attractive things about them is just how intuitive they are. The rMBP 15in with the special graphics card is a decent gaming laptop from what I hear, but yeah that shit ain't cheap.
-------------------------------------------------

As for all the comments re: BATTERY LIFE, I have a 2012 non-retina MBP and my battery life is totally fine. I haven't heard any complaints about the recent rMBP models either, although the longevity certainly isn't on par with the Airs or anything...

I've made my decision btw - I think for the price, rMBP > MBA, despite the extra .5 pounds. That extra weight is negligible (which I determined by waltzing around the house with a 3 pound stack of random crap in one hand and a 3.5 one in the other... very scientific method of comparison, obv), especially when you consider how much xtra sheer power you're getting and how much nicer the screen is.

Now my next agonizing decision is 8gb RAM vs 16gb. I don't code or game or anything anymore, but I'm a gigantic tab whore. Thoughtssss?

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Just purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad T450, and I really love the thing. It has the best/most comfortable keyboard I've ever found on a laptop. With the 6 cell battery I've been able to work on it (just general internet browsing/MS office) for ~12-15 hours between charges, and stream netflix for ~3.5-4 hours. Definitely recommend it.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

neubreed wrote:

I just want a 14-15" screen that's readable outside, nice keyboard, and ability to do some gaming. So far I've heard that Samsung might be my best bet, but it's expensive.
Sorry for the crazy late reply, but no, absolutely not, macs are incredibly user friendly. One of the majorly attractive things about them is just how intuitive they are. The rMBP 15in with the special graphics card is a decent gaming laptop from what I hear, but yeah that shit ain't cheap.

As for all the comments re: BATTERY LIFE, I have a 2012 non-retina MBP and my battery life is totally fine. I haven't heard any complaints about the recent rMBP models either, although the longevity certainly isn't on par with the Airs or anything...

I've made my decision btw - I think for the price, rMBP > MBA, despite the extra .5 pounds. That extra weight is negligible (which I determined by waltzing around the house with a 3 pound stack of random crap in one hand and a 3.5 one in the other... very scientific method of comparison, obv), especially when you consider how much xtra sheer power you're getting and how much nicer the screen is.

Now my next agonizing decision is 8gb RAM vs 16gb. I don't code or game or anything anymore, but I'm a gigantic tab whore. Thoughtssss?
Wow, I think 8gb ram is way more than majority of people need. I know Chrome can use tons of memory but damn 16 is a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:43 pm

neubreed wrote:

Ya you don't need 16. Certainly not if you're mainly web browsing. Intense video editing maaybe.

neubreed

New

Post by neubreed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
neubreed wrote:

Ya you don't need 16. Certainly not if you're mainly web browsing. Intense video editing maaybe.
I agree that it's more than I need now, but since I'm trying to squeeze 4-5 yrs from my macbook, I'd rather upgrade now to future proof it (especially since later upgrades aren't an option). The question is more whether I'm going to need to draw upon that 16gb during that 4-5 yr period.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:53 pm

just buy the dell xps 13 w/ i5 processor and 8gb RAM for $750 new on ebay. shit is insane.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:43 pm

I was thinking about getting a new laptop for LS, but I actually see no reason too. I have a 2012 MBP with 4GB RAM and 500GB HD. All I really need it for is internet/MS Word/Movies/Netflix. Its still running fast and anything I can always upgrade to a SSD and increase RAM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neubreed

New

Post by neubreed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:00 pm

WeeBey wrote:I was thinking about getting a new laptop for LS, but I actually see no reason too. I have a 2012 MBP with 4GB RAM and 500GB HD. All I really need it for is internet/MS Word/Movies/Netflix. Its still running fast and anything I can always upgrade to a SSD and increase RAM.

That's where I'm at, but it's stupid heavy, and I am not a big girl. :roll:
I think if I wasn't so 'light! shiny! new! want!!! neeeeeed' I'd be sticking it out with my old laptop as well

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:18 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:just buy the dell xps 13 w/ i5 processor and 8gb RAM for $750 new on ebay. shit is insane.
That's an awesome deal. Wish I'd found that.

Seriously zero regrets w/the XPS over a Macbook.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:35 am

Flokkness wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:just buy the dell xps 13 w/ i5 processor and 8gb RAM for $750 new on ebay. shit is insane.
That's an awesome deal. Wish I'd found that.

Seriously zero regrets w/the XPS over a Macbook.
I'm debating the XPS vs the HP Spectre x360. Leaning towards the HP, looks like more bang for the buck at the higher end.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:57 am

I'm trying to decide between an XPS 13 and an Inspiron 7000 15. I already have a Surface (not pro- so it runs RT) so I feel like I can go with a bigger, less portable, but cheaper and more powerful laptop.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:11 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:I'm trying to decide between an XPS 13 and an Inspiron 7000 15. I already have a Surface (not pro- so it runs RT) so I feel like I can go with a bigger, less portable, but cheaper and more powerful laptop.
Yeah I feel like if you have a tablet already you can just get a keyboard for that and then get something cheaper and larger that you don't lug around every day

AquafiNa

New

Post by AquafiNa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:40 pm

I'm trying to decide between the XPS13 and the surface pro. I want something windows that will last at least all three years of school + will be able to run the test software (whatever that may be.) What are some pros/cons between the two?

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
AquafiNa wrote:I'm trying to decide between the XPS13 and the surface pro. I want something windows that will last at least all three years of school + will be able to run the test software (whatever that may be.) What are some pros/cons between the two?
I'm also considering an XPS 13. Based on the research I've done it's one of the best, if not the best, ultra-portable available. My roommate has a Surface and it seems pretty cool, but keep in mind that it's not a computer, it's a tablet. My school specifically states that it does not meet the laptop requirement. It would probably work, but I don't plan to take the risk and would advise that you don't either.
Just FYI (well for others anyway) - most Surfaces do not meet the laptop requirement but the Surface PRO generally does. They have different systems.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AquafiNa

New

Post by AquafiNa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:23 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:
AquafiNa wrote:I'm trying to decide between the XPS13 and the surface pro. I want something windows that will last at least all three years of school + will be able to run the test software (whatever that may be.) What are some pros/cons between the two?
I'm also considering an XPS 13. Based on the research I've done it's one of the best, if not the best, ultra-portable available. My roommate has a Surface and it seems pretty cool, but keep in mind that it's not a computer, it's a tablet. My school specifically states that it does not meet the laptop requirement. It would probably work, but I don't plan to take the risk and would advise that you don't either.
Just FYI (well for others anyway) - most Surfaces do not meet the laptop requirement but the Surface PRO generally does. They have different systems.

Okay thanks to both! Is it worth getting touch screen on the xps? I'm not sure how much it would be used? The touch is obv the main sell of the SP and it makes sense to use with onenote. Will the laptop requirements be posted on the schools admitted students site?

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:23 am

I currently own a 2012 Macbook Air 11". Keep using it, or get a new one?

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:16 am

jawsjawsjaws wrote:I currently own a 2012 Macbook Air 11". Keep using it, or get a new one?

If you can wait I would. Skylake is just around the corner, probably in mid 2016, and will be a big change in processors. I would wait myself if I wasn't lugging around a mid 2009 macbook that struggles to turn on. Haha

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:20 am

AquafiNa wrote: Okay thanks to both! Is it worth getting touch screen on the xps? I'm not sure how much it would be used? The touch is obv the main sell of the SP and it makes sense to use with onenote. Will the laptop requirements be posted on the schools admitted students site?
Laptop requirements are posted, but are clearly outdated. Basically anything that can do word processing and runs full windows or Mac OS will be fine.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/admini ... specs.html

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Post by tortsandtiaras » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:56 am

Too excited for after work...FIN-UH-LLY going to be getting a brand new MBP w/ retina.

After having the same dinosaur of a computer for 6 years, it's nice to upgrade. Haven't used my computer in about a year now (been using work comp instead), and turned it on to a lovely 34,000 updates LOL.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:28 am

AquafiNa wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:

Okay thanks to both! Is it worth getting touch screen on the xps? I'm not sure how much it would be used? The touch is obv the main sell of the SP and it makes sense to use with onenote. Will the laptop requirements be posted on the schools admitted students site?
I would skip the touch screen if you plan to switch to Windows 10 when it comes out.

And the Surface Pro is a full laptop. It runs full Windows 8, whereas Windows 8 RT was built specifically for the tablet and is on all of the non-Pro's. You just have to watch out for memory and RAM limitations.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Finally got my new gold MacBook yesterday! I love it so much, would def recommend.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Shelbinole wrote:Finally got my new gold MacBook yesterday! I love it so much, would def recommend.
Pro or Air?

Sorry if only one of them has the color options and I'm just dumb.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”