What type of laptop are you going to use for law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What laptop will you use for 1L?

MacBook Air
31%
MacBook Pro
44%
Lenovo Yoga
5%
Lenovo Flex
2%
Dell XPS
7%
Asus Zenbook
3%
Toshiba Chromebook
2%
Surface Pro
5%
Samsung ATIV
0%

Total votes: 405

haus

Gold

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Post by haus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:49 am

cantyoloforever wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:Exam soft doesn't support windows 10?

Trying to figure out what kind of laptop to get before school. Any recs? I'd prefer to pay for something in a dell's price range.

Also, I read on duke's website that windows 10 pro is required. So I should specify that I get that when going to the store?

Please note I am incompetent with computers lol
Check with your school directly. Examsoft is regularly updated which can change its compatibility, so it's hard for anyone here to say for sure. The IT people at your school will know.
Should I wait to buy a laptop until I make a deposit then?
One of the generic truths about buying computers, and especially laptops, the longer you wait, the better (faster processor, better storage...) the system will be for the same cost, or if you prefer, you can spend less money for the same resources. Although you likely want to have at least a short amount of time to get familiar with your new system before you are really pressed to use it.

If you do not have a really pressing need for a new system, waiting until you are (fairly) sure of where you are going and what system requirements they might have is likely in your best interest.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:53 am

haus wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:Exam soft doesn't support windows 10?

Trying to figure out what kind of laptop to get before school. Any recs? I'd prefer to pay for something in a dell's price range.

Also, I read on duke's website that windows 10 pro is required. So I should specify that I get that when going to the store?

Please note I am incompetent with computers lol
Check with your school directly. Examsoft is regularly updated which can change its compatibility, so it's hard for anyone here to say for sure. The IT people at your school will know.
Should I wait to buy a laptop until I make a deposit then?
One of the generic truths about buying computers, and especially laptops, the longer you wait, the better (faster processor, better storage...) the system will be for the same cost, or if you prefer, you can spend less money for the same resources. Although you likely want to have at least a short amount of time to get familiar with your new system before you are really pressed to use it.

If you do not have a really pressing need for a new system, waiting until you are (fairly) sure of where you are going and what system requirements they might have is likely in your best interest.
I do not currently have a laptop, so it'd be nice to have one. However, I have gone without one for two months, so I can probably wait a few more months

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:18 am

Bought an HP stream for $200. It's okay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”