Arizona State University Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
KamronK

Bronze

Arizona State University Class of 2018

Post by KamronK » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi all,
ASU is one of the two schools I'm choosing between at this point. I would be a "Double Devil." Anyone else?

Sunshine619

New

Re: Arizona State University Class of 2018

Post by Sunshine619 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:57 pm

I am looking at it, though I would be like a husker-devil or something and I think that is frowned upon in my state haha. I have family in AZ and from what I have researched I love the school. So you have been living in Tempe? Maybe you can help me then, I just got into ASU law but I have already visited UofA. I know the two campuses hate each other but what is living in Tempe like?

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:47 pm

Haha why is that frowned upon? '96? :D

I lived in Tempe for part of the time and the nearby suburb of Chandler for most of my life. I'm biased, but I prefer living in the Tempe area for a few reasons. I like the size of the Phoenix area better than tucson. I was actually considering moving because I felt that even Phoenix was too small. There's just more going on with the bars and restaurants at Mill Ave in Tempe, Tempe Marketplace just a couple miles away, and a growing downtown Phoenix area where the new law school building will be.

There's good food, sports, hiking, shows, etc.. The traffic isn't bad outside of the typical rush hour times, and the light rail is pretty convenient and will get you between Tempe and Phoenix in less than 40 minutes (I plan to live within walking distance if I go to ASU.) Our roads are also in much better shape than down south.

A negative compared to Tucson would probably be that everything is more spread out. Our campus is huge and doesn't flow as well, but that's not a huge issue for law school.

So, I'm pretty happy living here when it isn't the summertime. I would love to go somewhere like Chicago for a while, but it would be pretty cool to watch the city continue to develop. Anything specific you were wondering about?

Kobeezy

New

Post by Kobeezy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:34 am

I am strongly considering ASU Law after receiving a rather generous scholarship offer. Still waiting to hear from some schools here in Cali though. This may be a weird question, but coming from Cali, people here are generally liberal and laid back - I have heard that Arizona can be quite conservative?

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Arizona is very conservative, which is good for me in that it offers me a ton of opportunities to be involved with politics. However, when it comes to people's behavior, it's very much a laid back west coast atmosphere. ASU is about as liberal as most universities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LWoodWDE

New

Post by LWoodWDE » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm in and have decided to attend!!! Does anyone need a roommate or know of good places to live? I am from Texas and I go to school in Alabama. I also will not know anyone in the state of Arizona! This whole finding a place to live thing is pretty difficult.

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:49 pm

I will probably be finding a place with my little brother, but I recommend looking for something within walking distance of the light rail in Tempe or Phoenix. The apartments will be a little more expensive, but the light rail has a couple stops at the ASU Tempe campus and also stops right by the downtown campus, where the law school will be beginning our 2L year. Rent will be more expensive, but you'll pay a lot less for gas money/won't get stuck riding your bike for more than a mile in 110 degree temps.

TookDaBait

New

Post by TookDaBait » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:02 am

ASU Class of '16 here. I'm from So Cal originally. It's an amazing program.

PM me your questions.

New

Post by 200135694 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:55 am

ASU is one of two schools I'm considering!

Anyone from the area have the inside on whether it would be smarter to live on or off campus? Also, any recommendations on where to stay?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

james_byrd74

New

Post by james_byrd74 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:40 am

Submitted my deposit and attending. I'll also need a roommate or two. I'm hoping to live within a two mile radius of the Tempe campus. PM me if you're in a similar boat.

TEM

New

Post by TEM » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:00 am

Also attending ASU! I'm finishing up my undergrad at UA so I've made some enemies going up to Tempe but ASU has an awesome program. I was very impressed with the ASW!

CrispDrip

New

Post by CrispDrip » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:45 pm

After admitted students weekend I finally summoned the guts to make a deposit and leave Pennsylvania for a state I don't know anyone in, so I'll just hop on the looking for a roommate train too. I want to stay within walking distance of the current campus so it looks like Apache Blvd. for me, which has some great options. Shoot me a PM if you're in a similar situation.

james_byrd74

New

Post by james_byrd74 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 am

200135694 wrote:ASU is one of two schools I'm considering!

Anyone from the area have the inside on whether it would be smarter to live on or off campus? Also, any recommendations on where to stay?
I'm not from the area but when I visited, my student guide informed me that relatively few of the law students live on campus. He said the ones that did lived in mixed housing with undergrads, and constantly complained about it. Needless to say, he strongly advised against living on campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ericalynn17

New

Post by ericalynn17 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:52 pm

I was not accepted to my alma mater, but I do have a nice condo that I'll likely be renting that's about 15-20 minutes away from Tempe and 25-30 minutes away from Downtown. PM me if you're interested.

mamagreen07

New

Post by mamagreen07 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi all, I have finally made a decision and will not be staying in Phoenix for Law School. However, my husband and I are selling our home in Phoenix if anyone is interested. It is about 20 minutes from the Tempe Campus, and about 10 minutes from the site of the new law school building down town. It is right off the 51 which, for those not from the area, is extremely convenient for traveling downtown and/or to the Tempe Campus. PM me if you would like the listing. Best of luck in the fall Phoenix is a great city (after it cools down in October.) :-)

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Tue May 12, 2015 11:55 am

Wildcat-Devil checking in here. VERY excited about this upcoming year moving up in July.

The Territorial Cup will be conflicting for me :?

johnsont426

New

Post by johnsont426 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:20 am

Hi everyone! I have been waiting for the admission packet for two weeks and still no sign of it... Just curious what's in it? Besides scholarship info which I believe is not available to advanced J.D student like me, does it contain any important information or useful guide that is not on the blackboard site?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Fri May 15, 2015 11:35 am

It was a Memo telling you what they need from you before the school year starts
A binder of information about the School, Phoenix etc.
A Folder with the Scholarship information

Nothing really needed other then the Memorandum which basically said you need to have certain shots, Loan Counseling etc.

johnsont426

New

Post by johnsont426 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:00 pm

JGMotorsport wrote:It was a Memo telling you what they need from you before the school year starts
A binder of information about the School, Phoenix etc.
A Folder with the Scholarship information

Nothing really needed other then the Memorandum which basically said you need to have certain shots, Loan Counseling etc.
thanks, then I guess I still have to email them and find out what happened to my packet.

TEM

New

Post by TEM » Fri May 15, 2015 5:42 pm

JGMotorsport wrote:Wildcat-Devil checking in here. VERY excited about this upcoming year moving up in July.

The Territorial Cup will be conflicting for me :?
I'm in the same boat, but I figure I'll remain loyal to my undergrad alma mater for sporting events when ASU and UA play. ASU is just my grad school. Bear Down!!

Anyways, nice to know there will be some wildcats in Tempe this year with me. Lol

BobbyWarz

New

Post by BobbyWarz » Fri May 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Just withdrew from my only other remaining option. Looks like I'll be a Sun Devil in the fall! :D
Can't wait to join you all there!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:22 pm

Is there a Facebook group set up here yet? Every other school I got accepted to bad something set up.

dpresent

New

Post by dpresent » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a 2L at ASU. I haven't used TLS before, but I wanted to get in touch with potential members of the 2018 JD class.

First, if you decide to attend ASU Law and you are interested in purchasing textbooks to own, I will sell you my 1L year books very cheap. The law professors use the same books almost every year (occasionally requesting that you purchase the newest addition). Contact me by email at dpresent@asu.edu to discuss which professors you have, and I will gladly give you a deal on the books.

Second, if you are deciding whether to live in Phoenix, I highly recommend the Skysong Apartments. I lived there my 1L and they were excellent. I can get anyone $200 off their first month rent if they use my name when they sign a lease. Again, email me for details.

Last, if you have any questions about my experience as a 1L at ASU, feel free to ask in an email.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

David J.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”