UCLA Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
still

Bronze

Re: UCLA Class of 2018

Post by still » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Last edited by still on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:11 pm

minion2018 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
AmicusInimici wrote:
minion2018 wrote:Accepted a studio in Weyburn. Bringing a car so I can drive to see family (I'm originally from the IE) and also buying a cheap bike upon arrival. Totally down to start a biker gang.
Definitely considering joining your biker gang depending on whether or not you come up with an amusing name for it.
If I get some scooter thing, am I eligible to join the biker gang? It's on two wheels..?
Full disclosure: The first two names I thought of were "Deals on Wheels" and "Trials for Miles." Then I spent not much time ruminating on better names. Now I'm thinking I can't come up with anything better and am losing my shot at friends before I even cross the Mississippi. Should you look past this devastating shortcoming, Iwanttolawschool, I think scooter things are acceptable if they can also have baskets, bells, and streamers, as my bike will.
I definitely thought by biker gang we were talking motorcycles...

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:10 am

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
minion2018 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
AmicusInimici wrote:
minion2018 wrote:Accepted a studio in Weyburn. Bringing a car so I can drive to see family (I'm originally from the IE) and also buying a cheap bike upon arrival. Totally down to start a biker gang.
Definitely considering joining your biker gang depending on whether or not you come up with an amusing name for it.
If I get some scooter thing, am I eligible to join the biker gang? It's on two wheels..?
Full disclosure: The first two names I thought of were "Deals on Wheels" and "Trials for Miles." Then I spent not much time ruminating on better names. Now I'm thinking I can't come up with anything better and am losing my shot at friends before I even cross the Mississippi. Should you look past this devastating shortcoming, Iwanttolawschool, I think scooter things are acceptable if they can also have baskets, bells, and streamers, as my bike will.
All are welcome in this group... :lol:

Also, anyone have any comments on yesterday's reception?

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:23 am

minion2018 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
minion2018 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
AmicusInimici wrote:

It was fun! Glad I went, but if you couldn't make it, I wouldn't worry. It wasn't anything too big. One thing I didn't know is that there will be a book sent out at the end of June that everyone needs to read before orientation. Also, there will be a 1 unit class that only half of the 1L's will have to take, and the half that participates will be chosen at random.

I got to talk to a lot of current students and alumni, and they were all really nice people. They gave some good advice, and also sort of made me think about the fact that it all starts in two months :shock: . Hopefully I can deal with my panic now and be calmer once I start.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:48 am

AmicusInimici wrote:
minion2018 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
minion2018 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
AmicusInimici wrote:

It was fun! Glad I went, but if you couldn't make it, I wouldn't worry. It wasn't anything too big. One thing I didn't know is that there will be a book sent out at the end of June that everyone needs to read before orientation. Also, there will be a 1 unit class that only half of the 1L's will have to take, and the half that participates will be chosen at random.

I got to talk to a lot of current students and alumni, and they were all really nice people. They gave some good advice, and also sort of made me think about the fact that it all starts in two months :shock: . Hopefully I can deal with my panic now and be calmer once I start.

Did they mention the title of the book?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote: Did they mention the title of the book?
Not to be THAT kid but...it's "Cracking the Case Method," and it's pretty helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Case-Met ... 1600421598.

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:46 pm

minion2018 wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote: Did they mention the title of the book?
Not to be THAT kid but...it's "Cracking the Case Method," and it's pretty helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Case-Met ... 1600421598.
That's the one :) .

still

Bronze

Post by still » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Last edited by still on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:56 pm

290 students -> 15 transfer out = 275 -> 45 transfer in = 325. Seems pretty normal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bruin2018

New

Post by bruin2018 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Not to be a total psycho/gunner, but did anybody who went to the preview day on the 6th get a copy of the recommended reading list? I couldnt go and am so curious about what's on it

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:43 pm

bruin2018 wrote:Not to be a total psycho/gunner, but did anybody who went to the preview day on the 6th get a copy of the recommended reading list? I couldnt go and am so curious about what's on it
+1 for overachievement

bruin2018

New

Post by bruin2018 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:48 pm

i am currently slacking at work by watching the video of the preview day and am trying so hard not to investigate every single thing/program that gets mentioned haha

still

Bronze

Post by still » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:57 am

Last edited by still on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:56 pm

Any news now that the second deposit deadline has passed?

fishbulb

New

Post by fishbulb » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:31 pm

minion2018 wrote:Any news now that the second deposit deadline has passed?
Just got the "Required Reading" email from Rob Schwartz. Anyone have any idea when we find out whether we are part of the half of the class taking the Law 101 orientation class?

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:01 pm

fishbulb wrote:
Just got the "Required Reading" email from Rob Schwartz. Anyone have any idea when we find out whether we are part of the half of the class taking the Law 101 orientation class?

My email talks about the class. Does yours not? If that is the case then I guess we have already found out.

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:53 pm

hpocket wrote:
fishbulb wrote:

My email talks about the class. Does yours not? If that is the case then I guess we have already found out.
I thought Law 101 is for for everyone--it's the Week One class, and the 1L class only half of us take is different.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fishbulb

New

Post by fishbulb » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:00 pm

minion2018 wrote:
hpocket wrote:
fishbulb wrote:

I thought Law 101 is for for everyone--it's the Week One class, and the 1L class only half of us take is different.
Ohh, this could very well be the case. I didn't go to the preview or watch the recording so I figured this was the 1-unit class.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:10 pm

My understanding was the Aug 17th to 22nd week class is done from all incoming 1L's. Then there's another class that only half the 1L's take throughout the first semester/year

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:52 pm

As others have said, I'm pretty sure the Law 101 class is referring to the orientation week that everyone attends. I am guessing that we won't know whether or not we are in the extra 1 unit class until the schedule comes out in early August.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Family housing is really lagging. Called them yesterday and they are still working on the guaranteed housing students (have not made it to the lottery graduate students yet). The price of the places in University Apartments can't be beat but I am debating getting a place in Hollywood and making the short journey. Anyone else staying off campus know of some good places to look for an affordable place to live (absolute max $2100.00 and avoiding any roommate situations because I will have my son off and on).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cwin25

New

Post by cwin25 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Does someone have the exact dollar amount for how much tuition will be for 2015-2016?

Thanks in advance! :)

Dr Clifford Huxtable

New

Post by Dr Clifford Huxtable » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:28 pm

At the risk of sounding like a complete dunce, how does 1L course selection work? Are our classes pre-selected for us based on whichever section we are put in or is there an actual registration process?

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:02 am

Dr Clifford Huxtable wrote:At the risk of sounding like a complete dunce, how does 1L course selection work? Are our classes pre-selected for us based on whichever section we are put in or is there an actual registration process?
For your first year, everything is set up for you. I believe this is the same for every law school.
They claim there's a process to make balanced ~80 person sections and then they stay the same for the semester and take the same courses.

Kaizen428

New

Post by Kaizen428 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 am

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
Dr Clifford Huxtable wrote:At the risk of sounding like a complete dunce, how does 1L course selection work? Are our classes pre-selected for us based on whichever section we are put in or is there an actual registration process?
For your first year, everything is set up for you. I believe this is the same for every law school.
They claim there's a process to make balanced ~80 person sections and then they stay the same for the semester and take the same courses.
Anyone have an idea when we may get our schedules? Or assigned to our sections?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”