UCLA Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
AmicusInimici

New

Re: UCLA Class of 2018

Post by AmicusInimici » Thu May 28, 2015 5:15 pm

still wrote:question for those with housing offers

did you request this offer? did they include it with your acceptance emails/materials, etc?

for me i have to sign up for the lottery and for some reason i'm still at undergrad status for it...
I kept getting email reminders to apply for housing, but I am not sure what I did to solicit the emails or if instead they were automatically triggered when I was accepted. At any rate, I applied through the housing website at the beginning of May: https://housing.ucla.edu/my-housing/my-housing.

still

Bronze

Post by still » Thu May 28, 2015 8:49 pm

AmicusInimici wrote:

did you request this offer? did they include it with your acceptance emails/materials, etc?

for me i have to sign up for the lottery and for some reason i'm still at undergrad status for it...
I kept getting email reminders to apply for housing, but I am not sure what I did to solicit the emails or if instead they were automatically triggered when I was accepted. At any rate, I applied through the housing website at the beginning of May: https://housing.ucla.edu/my-housing/my-housing.
thanks. I accepted my offer only 2 days ago so maybe thats why I havent got anything yet. have you guys all gotten UCLA LAWNET access info as well as email and username?

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Fri May 29, 2015 8:33 am

still wrote:
AmicusInimici wrote:

thanks. I accepted my offer only 2 days ago so maybe thats why I havent got anything yet. have you guys all gotten UCLA LAWNET access info as well as email and username?
I got the lawnet access info with my acceptance email. You should have access to it, you just need to look it up using the ID number they sent you. But no, I haven't gotten email yet.

applicant15

New

Post by applicant15 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 am

Hi all-

I am wondering how many people plan on bringing cars. I know a car is supposed to be really useful in LA. However, I will be living in Weyburn and not sure how much use I'd get out of my car with everything in the immediate Westwood area. Any thoughts on if you're bringing a car and what you plan on using it for would be great.

Thanks!

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Fri May 29, 2015 11:02 am

applicant15 wrote:Hi all-

I am wondering how many people plan on bringing cars. I know a car is supposed to be really useful in LA. However, I will be living in Weyburn and not sure how much use I'd get out of my car with everything in the immediate Westwood area. Any thoughts on if you're bringing a car and what you plan on using it for would be great.

Thanks!

I'm bringing one, mainly because I wanted to find cheaper housing farther from campus, but also for groceries and weekend outings. I am not from LA and I really want to get the most out of my time there so I decided a car was the way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Fri May 29, 2015 8:17 pm

hpocket wrote:

Thanks!

I'm bringing one, mainly because I wanted to find cheaper housing farther from campus, but also for groceries and weekend outings. I am not from LA and I really want to get the most out of my time there so I decided a car was the way to go.
Can we be friends? and when you go get groceries and stuff, I'll come as well...

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Sat May 30, 2015 9:54 am

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
hpocket wrote:

Thanks!

Can we be friends? and when you go get groceries and stuff, I'll come as well...
I hadn't thought of leveraging it for friendship but add that to my list of what I plan on using it for! Iwanttolawschool, thanks for the idea, you get to ride shotgun.

still

Bronze

Post by still » Sat May 30, 2015 6:23 pm

wheres everyone choosing to live?
weyburn is very nice (at least from the outside) but jeebus its way too expensive

i'm probably gonna live south of wilshire (midvaleish)
might build a fixie bike and put a bunch of chillwave on my phone fo maximum 2009 nostalgia

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Sat May 30, 2015 7:43 pm

hpocket wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
hpocket wrote:

Thanks!

I hadn't thought of leveraging it for friendship but add that to my list of what I plan on using it for! Iwanttolawschool, thanks for the idea, you get to ride shotgun.
I haven't taken any of these so-called "law" courses yet. But I think the above is a binding contract.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Sat May 30, 2015 11:50 pm

still wrote:wheres everyone choosing to live?
weyburn is very nice (at least from the outside) but jeebus its way too expensive

i'm probably gonna live south of wilshire (midvaleish)
might build a fixie bike and put a bunch of chillwave on my phone fo maximum 2009 nostalgia
Just gonna find the best apartment within a reasonable biking distance. Not picky. Unfortunately, nothing's really available right now for an August move-in, so I wait.

Also I hate how much harder it is to find a decent place if you're male who doesn't want to share a room.

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Accepted a studio in Weyburn. Bringing a car so I can drive to see family (I'm originally from the IE) and also buying a cheap bike upon arrival. Totally down to start a biker gang.

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:13 pm

minion2018 wrote:Accepted a studio in Weyburn. Bringing a car so I can drive to see family (I'm originally from the IE) and also buying a cheap bike upon arrival. Totally down to start a biker gang.
Definitely considering joining your biker gang depending on whether or not you come up with an amusing name for it.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:26 pm

minion2018 wrote:Accepted a studio in Weyburn. Bringing a car so I can drive to see family (I'm originally from the IE) and also buying a cheap bike upon arrival. Totally down to start a biker gang.
If I get some scooter thing, am I eligible to join the biker gang? It's on two wheels..?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mohdban

Bronze

Post by mohdban » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:01 am

Hey classmates 8)

Does anyone here know when the summer school starts? I know applications will open in the next days, but when does it start and how long does it last?

still

Bronze

Post by still » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:58 pm

so here I am stoked with my UCLA acceptance and about to withdraw from WUSTL.
Out of nowhere WUSTL bumps my scholarship to full tuition with no minimum GPA req.

i bring this info to UCLA's financial aid office and they bump me from 37500 to 45k... (48k w/ need based aid)

I love UCLA but i feel like it would just be a colossal blunder to choose it over the red carpet treatment at WUSTL
sad to say but my bruin loyalty may have been flat bought by anheuser busch...

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 am

still wrote:so here I am stoked with my UCLA acceptance and about to withdraw from WUSTL.
Out of nowhere WUSTL bumps my scholarship to full tuition with no minimum GPA req.

i bring this info to UCLA's financial aid office and they bump me from 37500 to 45k... (48k w/ need based aid)

I love UCLA but i feel like it would just be a colossal blunder to choose it over the red carpet treatment at WUSTL
Sorry to hear it, but I would do the same thing as you in your position.

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Anyone attending the "Sneak Preview" on Monday?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:16 pm

AmicusInimici wrote:Anyone attending the "Sneak Preview" on Monday?

I wish. Are you? If so let us know how it goes!

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:10 pm

hpocket wrote:
AmicusInimici wrote:Anyone attending the "Sneak Preview" on Monday?

I wish. Are you? If so let us know how it goes!
Yea I live in the area, so I am going to check it out. I actually haven't taken a tour of the law school yet. I want to take a look at where I'll be spending the next three years. I'll let you know if anything interesting happens. I guess there's going to be some mock negotiation session, because they sent us an email a couple days ago with a packet that we're supposed to read.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:29 pm

hpocket wrote:
still wrote:so here I am stoked with my UCLA acceptance and about to withdraw from WUSTL.

+1. The difference in total indebtedness at graduation between full @ WUSTL and $48k @ UCLA is $118,000+ just for tuition and fees. UCLA is a great school and I'd kill to go there, but it's hard to justify with those numbers.

ETA: Just to satisfy my own interest, I used this loan calculator to determine that the difference in scholarship money would cost you an extra ~$1,300 a month over 10 years. Technically more because this is only calculating the payment for the tuition difference and in reality you'd be paying interest on a larger amount that included what you borrow for total COA. That's a lot of dough. I don't think anyone could blame you for picking WUSTL.
Last edited by spencercross on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:42 pm

New dean announced. I wonder what, if anything, this will change.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:04 pm

hpocket wrote:New dean announced. I wonder what, if anything, this will change.
Probably not much, honestly. She's been a part of UCLA Law for a decade already. Looks like a continuity hire.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:55 pm

spencercross wrote:
hpocket wrote:

+1. The difference in total indebtedness at graduation between full @ WUSTL and $48k @ UCLA is $118,000+ just for tuition and fees. UCLA is a great school and I'd kill to go there, but it's hard to justify with those numbers.

ETA: Just to satisfy my own interest, I used this loan calculator to determine that the difference in scholarship money would cost you an extra ~$1,300 a month over 10 years. Technically more because this is only calculating the payment for the tuition difference and in reality you'd be paying interest on a larger amount that included what you borrow for total COA. That's a lot of dough. I don't think anyone could blame you for picking WUSTL.
There's apparently family money to consider, though.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Has anyone figured out when the Summer Program starts? Is this something I should want to do..? They make it sound exclusive and special, but should we really give a shit?

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
AmicusInimici wrote:
Definitely considering joining your biker gang depending on whether or not you come up with an amusing name for it.
If I get some scooter thing, am I eligible to join the biker gang? It's on two wheels..?
Full disclosure: The first two names I thought of were "Deals on Wheels" and "Trials for Miles." Then I spent not much time ruminating on better names. Now I'm thinking I can't come up with anything better and am losing my shot at friends before I even cross the Mississippi. Should you look past this devastating shortcoming, Iwanttolawschool, I think scooter things are acceptable if they can also have baskets, bells, and streamers, as my bike will.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”