Northwestern AJD Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
kcdc1

Silver

Re: Northwestern AJD Class of 2017

Post by kcdc1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:51 am

Besides graduating a year earlier and hitting 2L OCI sooner, the AJD program is mostly the same as the 3-year JD program, so I'd give an entering AJD the same advice I'd give any 1L. Make friends, don't be overly competitive, do the assigned reading, don't stress out. I suppose an AJD could also start light planning for OCI before starting school. Update your resume, think about how you'll frame your narrative, etc.

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:07 am

BruinRegents wrote:Any advice for how to get the most out of AJD?
kcdc1 wrote:I suppose an AJD could also start light planning for OCI before starting school. Update your resume, think about how you'll frame your narrative, etc.
Also a 2L AJD - second this.

Investing time now into recruiting prep is time well spent. Update your cover letter and resume; identify the one or two legal markets you'll target during OCI; research firms in those markets. If you're feeling ambitious - reach out to attorneys in said markets or at said firms with whom you know or share an undergrad/grad/future law school alma mater. Found this paid dividends - particularly in smaller markets.

None of this is necessary - Northwestern holds your hand throughout the entire recruiting process - though this can only empower your search and free up your summer schedule a bit so you can give class your undivided attention.

Just want to reiterate kcdc's framing of OCI prep as building a narrative. Most AJDs have fairly well-defined ST/LT career goals - so half the recruiting battle is selling your career path and anticipated trajectory in a cogent and compelling fashion. And that's one of the beauties of the two-year, accelerated AJD program. It gives you built in answers to the frequent interview questions of "why law school" and "why NU" - and a really powerful way to demonstrate in action - not word - the common themes of diligence, ambition, capacity - that are the subtext of most interview anecdotes.

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:34 am

Two other points:

1) If you can spare the time/expense - definitely recommend admits come out to campus for the AJD admitted students day next month (many of my classmates are participating in the day's events). Those interpersonal connections were invaluable when I made my decision to matriculate into the program last cycle.

2) Yes, the summer semester was a decent amount of work. But the AJD upside potential is tremendous - it's reasonable that by Labor Day 2015 you will be Northwestern 2Ls and have a summer associate offer in hand - before many of your fellow c/o 2018 applicants have started their first day of 1L class.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:31 pm

wojo98 wrote:Half the recruiting battle is selling your career path and anticipated trajectory in a cogent and compelling fashion. And that's one of the beauties of the two-year, accelerated AJD program. It gives you built in answers to the frequent interview questions of "why law school" and "why NU" - and a really powerful way to demonstrate in action - not word - the common themes of diligence, ambition, capacity - that are the subtext of most interview anecdotes.
Well-said. Being in the AJD program is a great complement to your "why law school" narrative because you can use it to project yourself as diligent, ambitious, and capable.

For example, I had work experience relevant to the field I wanted to practice in, so I explained my interest in law school by mentioning my work experience, explaining that I most enjoyed the high-responsibility and more challenging aspects of the field, and that I needed to complete law school in order to engage more in those responsibilities. The AJD program was a perfect fit because it would allow me to reach my professional goals more quickly.

Mentioning that I've chosen to complete 3 years of work in 2 years underscores the themes of maturity, ambition, and capacity that I'm trying to sell with this narrative. This type of line can be used to reinforce any narrative you choose.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:36 am

Helllllooooooo admits! Congratulations! :D

Just checking in as another 2016 AJD available to answer questions. Ask me anything here or in PM, but here are a few topics I may be particularly capable of speaking to:

-OCI in a small market (AKA not Chicago or New York)
-Questions about whether there are any upsides to our crazy curriculum schedule (spoiler alert: there are!)
-AJD involvement in extra-curriculars on campus
-Integrating with the larger student body after the summer

Again, ask me anything! And also if you're able, please PLEASE come to the Open House on March 6th. You will have the opportunity to ask those of us on this thread questions in person, meet many other current AJDs, and get a real feel for what we call the "Northwestern Difference" (corny? sure. a real thing? yes.) beyond what you can on this fun forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Hello pompoms!

I'll bite. What are some upsides of the crazy curriculum??

I just booked my flight so I'll be at the Open House. I'm very excited, although a little scared because my budget is decimated if I don't get that travel stipend…

Also, pm en route re: OCI.

Guynamedjay

New

Post by Guynamedjay » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks for answering our questions. I have a few as well.

First Q: I am a Mac user. Do I need to buy Microsoft office for Mac, or does it not matter?

Second Q: How have your experiences been with the clinics? When can the AJD students start participating, and which ones do you recommend? How much time do they typically take up in a week? Do you get actual substantive experience from them? I am leaning toward litigation vice transactional, if that helps frame your answer.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:04 pm

usn26 wrote:Hello pompoms!

I'll bite. What are some upsides of the crazy curriculum??

I just booked my flight so I'll be at the Open House. I'm very excited, although a little scared because my budget is decimated if I don't get that travel stipend…

Also, pm en route re: OCI.
Hi! (Just responded to your OCI PM)

In my opinion the benefit of this cray curriculum is twofold and the reasons are interrelated:

1. You get the 1L courses out of the way: You haven't even started law school yet and I'm sure you're ALREADY sick of hearing people say that they couldn't wait for 1L to end, but there really is something to that sentiment. 1L classes are your prototype, doctrinal law school classes and while some people might find Civ Pro interesting (cough, kcdc :wink: ), some of us just simply don't. 1L classes are requirements and for many of us with clear career goals in mind (or at least a good inclination towards some particular legal interests) getting these out of the way quickly is a godsend. In the AJD program you get the same benefits of those classes as those in the three-year program (i.e., learning how to think like a law student, learning how to read cases, understanding the court system, learning how to write a memo, etc. etc.) that are essential to future success and understanding in law school. Also, you get some pretty fantastic professors that enjoy teaching AJDs and volunteer to do so year after year. You'll be in much smaller classes so you can ask questions, speak to professors after class, and stumble through these unfamiliar subjects in a less intimidating environment. I'm sure that the benefit of not spreading out most of these requirements over an entire year isn't lost on you, but trust me, once you the summer is over, you realize just how sweet that really is.

2.You get to jump right into your interests in the fall semester: So you will still have to take CLR II, Criminal Law, and Constitutional Law in your fall/spring semesters (I took all of these requirements in the fall, but other 2016 AJDs are taking Crim right now), BUT even if you take all three of them in the fall semester, you still have 2-3 (depending on how you allocate the credits) class slots available to take what you please. I chose to take a feminist law course, a clinic, and a corporations course last fall. It was pretty cool to only have been in law school for 4 months at that point and already be able to take classes that interested me. I felt like my legal education was finally becoming just that - mine - so much earlier than it would have been if I had done the three-year program.

The last thing I'll say is that yeah the summer is really busy and really crazy - you are taking 6 classes after all. My comrades on this thread will attest to the fact that I (possibly/probably more than others) struggled with the workload at times, but it IS doable. You will get through it. I did it and you can do it and after the summer, it does get a bit easier.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:16 pm

some people might find Civ Pro interesting (cough, kcdc :wink: )
Outed, ouch. There goes my social life.

And to add to Pompom's great answers (aside from her baseless attempt at character assassination), I'll chime in with the obvious point that often goes unsaid: saving a year in school is a huge financial benefit. In the third year after matriculation, you're earning a salary (currently 160k + bonus in biglaw) instead of accumulating loan interest. Then you're a year ahead in seniority every year thereafter. In most fields (law firm, gov't, in-house), the extra seniority will translate to higher annual pay for years.

And yes, I think like an engineer. On a related note, I'm also happy take specific questions on how the AJD program intersects with the job search in patent law. (spoiler alert: receiving callbacks before you have grades is fantastic.) Feel free to PM as well.
Last edited by kcdc1 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:18 pm

Guynamedjay wrote:Thanks for answering our questions. I have a few as well.

First Q: I am a Mac user. Do I need to buy Microsoft office for Mac, or does it not matter?

Second Q: How have your experiences been with the clinics? When can the AJD students start participating, and which ones do you recommend? How much time do they typically take up in a week? Do you get actual substantive experience from them? I am leaning toward litigation vice transactional, if that helps frame your answer.
Hi!

I have a Mac too and the first week of class I downloaded Microsoft Office (for Mac) for FREE from this website: http://www.it.northwestern.edu/software ... onalselect. You won't be able to do it until you enroll/etc.

I started participating in a clinic fall semester right after the summer and I am in the same one now in the spring and it is a litigation-focused clinic (you can PM me for which one it is). Some clinics have pre-requisites (i.e., the Entrepreneurship Clinic requires you to take Business Associations/Corporations and Entrepreneurship Law before enrolling) but my Clinic had none so I was able to get involved right away. Clinic has been my favorite, most-rewarding endeavor in law school so far and I know there are many other students who feel that way. All clinics have a weekly meeting (a 2-hour class-type session with the whole class) and then you meet individually with your attorney supervisors for assignments. I spend between 5-15 hours on that work a week depending on the assignment - the Clinic says that all students should expect to do 9-12 hours a week and I think that's a fair estimate. I have gained skills in the clinic that I will definitely be transferring to the firm I will be summering at like motion writing, brief writing, communicating with attorneys, meeting deadlines/expectations, and investigation techniques. If you want to know anything more specific just PM me!

checkin2014

New

Post by checkin2014 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:56 pm

Last edited by checkin2014 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Congrats admitted AJD's!

2L AJD here.
On a journal
In student org
Going to NYC this summer
mainly focused on Transactional Law

Ask me stuff! PM me.

Just want to throw my two cents on the whole benefits/drawbacks:

Do I have regrets about choosing the accelerated program? My only regret is that I spent what was one of the nicest summers in Chicago history stuck inside all day. Other than that, I haven't missed out on a single thing. I'm on a journal, and am an active member of a wonderful student org.

In fact, knowing what I do now, I'm even happier with my choice for a couple of reasons.

First, the AJDs take criminal law in sections with the entering 1L's in the fall or spring. I'm in a 1L criminal law class right now, and it's awful. The teacher is great, and the subject matter is incredibly interesting. But I'm one person in a sea of about 45 faces. My professor barely knows me, and can't take the time to stop and explain things a different way if something isn't clicking. Your professors this summer will know you like the back of their hand, and they will also know a bit more about your personal learning style. For me, at least, it really improved my experience.

Second, I like instant immersion programs. The 10 week summer is legal immersion 101. You really just bathe (9-5 Monday through Friday) in all things legal. Plus, it really forces you to figure out what kinds of studying do and don't work for you. I can't tell you how many sad 1L's I've seen who sit around for hours wasting time on horrible, inefficient studying techniques. Unacceptable. I'm an adult with a life, and I don't want my entire life to be straining my eyes over some casebook. When you get to the fall semester, you feel like you're hardly doing anything, because you've got so much more time.

That brings me to my final point: the amount of time you have. As a 1L, you have 9 months to agonize and stew over your grades, and hoping, praying, and practicing whatever crazy rituals you think will help you through law school final exams. When you get your first round of grades (6 months in), you are miserable and question every life decision you've ever made. The AJD program gets all of that miserable, stewing agony over with in 10 weeks. It's like ripping off a band-aid. While all my fellow non-AJD NU-2L's were having panic attacks and all-nighters last February, I was casually watching my way through Inside Amy Schumer, going to a ton of great shows, and having a healthy reading list. Now, we both have similar GPA's, jobs, and social connections. Winning.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

I think I can speak for all of the current students when I say that we are looking forward to meeting those of you attending the AJD Open House tomorrow! Hope you can make it! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r1tlv50

New

Post by r1tlv50 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:59 pm

Anybody else still waiting on aid? I'm getting a little edgy since we don't have a ton of time left...

Guynamedjay

New

Post by Guynamedjay » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Also waiting. I emailed last week and was told that everything would be sent out this week.

will01

New

Post by will01 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Also waiting...

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 pm

When did you get your paperwork in? I submitted just at the deadline and got the scholarship a few days later, and the full package last Thursday.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pigintheblanket1851

New

Post by pigintheblanket1851 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:26 pm

Hey AJDs,

I am looking to rent out my apartment in the Gold Coast starting in early May. You have the option of taking over my lease (runs through the end of August) or alternatively starting your own lease with the unit owner. You have the option to buy all of my furniture too. Please PM me for more information, if you are interested.

checkin2014

New

Post by checkin2014 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:30 am

Hi, I got some questions regarding OCI and mass mailing.
Will it be a problem that we won't have scores for con law and crime law at OCI?
Do firms care about it?
I am confused about the timing for mass mailing (TLS wisdom: "Always mass mailing") as AJD.
Since we'll have scores back about a week before OCI(?), I guess we won't be able to do mass-mailing before it?
How did you guys do it? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:04 am

I did not mass mail, so it'd be good to get another opinion on this. But based on my interviewing experience, firms usually do not care about individual class grades. They care about composite GPA, and if you're planning to go into a specialized practice, they'll probably care a bit about your grades in classes that are directly relevant to that practice. I don't see why lacking a Con Law / Crim grade in the fall would be a problem for mass mailing.

Anyone else have thoughts?

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:55 pm

checkin2014 wrote:Will it be a problem that we won't have scores for con law and crime law at OCI? Do firms care about it?
No, not at all. Firms don’t care about your 1L summer classes. Only care about overall 1L GPA. And even then – it’s only an initial threshold to clear to progress from the screener to the on-site callback interview. Callbacks are where the proverbial magic happens – but that’s almost entirely a function of communicating a compelling narrative, leveraging your work experience, and connecting interpersonally. Numbers seem to help on the margins in these latter stages, though they are secondary to demonstrated career path, fit, etc.

Career services and AJD upperclassman hold your hands from the moment you’re on campus – so you will have more than sufficient resources at your disposal to make informed, empowered recruiting decisions.

But no, taking Con and Crim as a 2L won’t affect recruiting an iota.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:03 pm

checkin2014 wrote:I am confused about the timing for mass mailing (TLS wisdom: "Always mass mailing") as AJD. How did you guys do it? Any suggestions?
I was curious about this as a 0L AJD, but it’s not an issue at all. For one – it’s doable with the AJD timeline. “Mass mailing” isn’t really a thing – it’s just emailing your 1) grades, 2) resume, 3) cover letter, and 4) writing sample to firms that for whatever reason don’t come to OCI. You’ll have the latter three set by mid-summer – so when you get grades the first week of August, just need to hit send on your pre-prepared materials.

Despite TLS dogma, mass mailing also isn’t necessary for many in the class (most, though not all, land jobs through OCI). You mass mail when you 1) target secondary markets that only sporadically attend our OCI (e.g. Kansas City, Atlanta, etc.) or 2) have weak areas in your resume (grades, uncompelling work experience, etc.) and want as many irons in the fire as possible. Even then – while OCI is a quick process (starts second week of August and have responses by Labor Day) contacting firms directly is more hit or miss. May hear back w/in a week, may hear back w/in a month, or not at all. The difference in mass mailing your materials in early August vs. mid July is rather negligible – because it’s not an efficient way to connect with firms.

Don’t want to get too high on my soapbox, but mass mailing is a blunt tool for a process requiring tact – depth of research and connection. If you’re really concerned about dominating recruiting (or minimizing recruiting downside risk - which is the real subtext of your question) – you should spend the next two months networking w/ lawyers in your target markets and at your target firms. That will pay more dividends in contacts/firm knowledge/interview conversation fodder than mass mailing ever will.

Feel free to PM me about anything recruiting related – probably spent more time than I should have prepping.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:52 am

wojo98 wrote: If you’re really concerned about dominating recruiting (or minimizing recruiting downside risk - which is the real subtext of your question) – you should spend the next two months networking w/ lawyers in your target markets and at your target firms. That will pay more dividends in contacts/firm knowledge/interview conversation fodder than mass mailing ever will.
+1

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Well, I just withdrew. I hope my $$$ frees up some for others. Good luck, everyone.

checkin2014

New

Post by checkin2014 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:20 am

Already posted on the "Ask law students" forum, think I should also put it here.

Class schedule is up for us (from CAESAR):

Contracts :Tiller
CLR: Christopher Martin
Civil Procedure: Redish
Property: Yuracko
Torts: Friedman

Any suggestions? Warnings? Recommended supplements?
Also, anybody with outlines (Please, pm)? (I understand there is a “outline bank”, but do AJDs have access to it?)

Thank you in advance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”