Stanford Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision making process?

Committed to Stanford!
48%
99% sure I'll be at Stanford, 1% room for changing my mind
16%
Still waiting on financial aid
No votes
Still weighing my other options
4%
Definitely attending another school
32%

Total votes: 25

Kimikho

Gold

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Post by Kimikho » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:13 am

cc78 wrote:^^Thanks! That makes sense.

Of the four non-LRW classes you take first quarter, how would you rate their relative difficulty?
Remember--it doesn't matter if you find a specific class difficult or hard, it matters how everyone else feels. This is the great thing about Stanford--a class being hard to you won't matter, since you are (virtually) guaranteed at least a P. You don't think it matters now, but when you are walking into whatever they put the 3rd final to be next year it definitely will.

Conversely, though, it's sometimes hard in a class you feel you aren't doing well in, since the floor is so solid.

foles

Bronze

Post by foles » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobleman300

New

Post by bobleman300 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:49 am

Checking in!

I got in last Friday and have been eagerly awaiting my package, but the snow on the east coast might have delayed thing.

Does anyone know what the ASW schedule looks like? It seems like the last day overlaps with one of my finals.

JER1986

New

Post by JER1986 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Checking in as well. Got the admit package in the mail yesterday, which is pretty impressive considering they sent it Friday and the post office was closed Sunday and Monday. I don't think I'll be able to make it out there for ASW due to work, but I'm trying to set up a time to visit before that.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:18 pm

bobleman300 wrote:Checking in!

I got in last Friday and have been eagerly awaiting my package, but the snow on the east coast might have delayed thing.

Does anyone know what the ASW schedule looks like? It seems like the last day overlaps with one of my finals.
The schedule for this year isn't up, but last year the Monday was just breakfast + a list of classes you can sit in on.

I'm not attending on Monday because I'll be headed back to work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bobleman300

New

Post by bobleman300 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Is there a facebook class page? I can't find one.

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 pm

bobleman300 wrote:Is there a facebook class page? I can't find one.
It exists. Just gotta wait for your invite, I think.

banks

New

Post by banks » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Current 1L here. It's really hard to emphasize enough how wonderful it is to be able to choose so many of your own classes after first semester. There are SO many options and having the power to take whatever you want is amazing.

I think SLS is an incredible place. I turned down H and would do it again in a heartbeat.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:18 pm

cc78 wrote:
yup - just got the invite, actually.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jemthey17

Silver

Post by jemthey17 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:56 pm

ballcaps wrote:
cc78 wrote:
Have you joined the group yet? If so, I might know who you are. You can ask cc, I'm a total creeper.

Fred Norris

Bronze

Post by Fred Norris » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Reading through the admitted students website. I gotta say - I really appreciate Faye's "no pressure" attitude as reflected in the various admissions material.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:56 pm

jemthey17 wrote:
ballcaps wrote:
cc78 wrote:
Have you joined the group yet? If so, I might know who you are. You can ask cc, I'm a total creeper.
nah, for some reason the page won't load.

gonna weirdly email them tomorrow about it. tryna take my newfound prefstige public (isn't that the point? :wink: )

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:43 pm

banks wrote:Current 1L here. It's really hard to emphasize enough how wonderful it is to be able to choose so many of your own classes after first semester. There are SO many options and having the power to take whatever you want is amazing.

I think SLS is an incredible place. I turned down H and would do it again in a heartbeat.
The quarter system is probably the best thing about SLS and I never would have realized that going in. Yes, fall quarter was a bitch but:
1. In winter, the 1L elective plus drop in credits just makes everything better.
2. Spring is full of possibility and autonomy and excitement.
3. Clerkship recommendations: we have tons more professors to choose from than 1Ls at other schools, including several we have elected to take rather than just assigned profs.
4. Also, more grades = more chances to improve, especially if the first quarter kicked your ass.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fred Norris

Bronze

Post by Fred Norris » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Sls17 wrote:
banks wrote:Current 1L here. It's really hard to emphasize enough how wonderful it is to be able to choose so many of your own classes after first semester. There are SO many options and having the power to take whatever you want is amazing.

The quarter system is probably the best thing about SLS and I never would have realized that going in. Yes, fall quarter was a bitch but:
1. In winter, the 1L elective plus drop in credits just makes everything better.
2. Spring is full of possibility and autonomy and excitement.
3. Clerkship recommendations: we have tons more professors to choose from than 1Ls at other schools, including several we have elected to take rather than just assigned profs.
4. Also, more grades = more chances to improve, especially if the first quarter kicked your ass.

This is really cool. I haven't thought about these subtleties. How do HY differ?

How do I even begin researching these differences? Should I just start by going through H's (not in at Y yet) website and look for first year curriculum and compare to that of S?

Fred Norris

Bronze

Post by Fred Norris » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:29 am

How does the quarter system make SLS different than other schools? Also, how is it a quarter system if you have three divions: fall, winter, summer?

Also, for electives how many units is a single class generally ?

Going off this:

http://www.law.stanford.edu/courses/1st-year-program

There is just so much for me to investigate and so little time. What's the best way to learn how my first year curriculum will differ from other schools? My 3 year curriculum?

banks

New

Post by banks » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:07 am

Fred Norris wrote:How does the quarter system make SLS different than other schools? Also, how is it a quarter system if you have three divions: fall, winter, summer?

Also, for electives how many units is a single class generally ?

Going off this:

http://www.law.stanford.edu/courses/1st-year-program

There is just so much for me to investigate and so little time. What's the best way to learn how my first year curriculum will differ from other schools? My 3 year curriculum?
It's a quarter system because we have three sessions of classes and exams (fall, winter, spring) and a summer "quarter."

So I'll try and sum up what I see as the pros and cons of the quarter system as I see them (though I don't think I've been in it long enough to fully grasp all of either) and I'll try and compare with what I know of other schools.

At SLS, you have to average 12 hours per quarter by the time you graduate. I don't think that average includes the initial fall of 1L which is 18 hours but over an entire semester's length. This initial "quarter" is arguably the most intense 1L Fall because it's a semester's length with 4 doctrinal classes plus LRW. It's hard but it's hard for everyone and that's the beauty of the grading system. Then, once your 1L Fall is over, the world is your oyster.

In the Winter, you have to take two doctrinal classes and Fed Lit (like LRW but with oral argument), which totals to 9 hours, plus one elective of your choosing. There are relatively few electives that are closed to 1Ls, so you really can sort of go with what you want. As far as how many hours the electives are - you can choose to not take one at all your 1L winter and just take 9 hours! You just have to make it up over another quarter or two to average 12. The most you can take is a 4 credit class - which will almost always be Evidence if you're a 1L taking a 4 hour elective.* Many, if not most, people take some sort of two hour seminar or non-lecture class that doesn't have a final exam so they only have to take two exams during winter exam time (right before spring break).

Then in your spring quarter,it's all up to you (except 2 more hours of Fed Lit). Most people take 3 courses - a lecture or two and or a seminar or two. Smaller seminars work on a lottery system, so you may not get your top choice, but thrre are so many options it's hard to go wrong really. Then exams are the first week of June and summer work starts. This is probably the worst part about the quarter system is you start summer jobs a bit later, but Stanford does a great job of getting employers on board with hiring us even though we can't start til later and it's not really an issue at all.

Then 2L and 3L year, rinse and repeat, except add in the ability to take clinics and do an externship. Everyone can do up to 2 clinics and 1 extrrnship, so you could possibly have 3 quarters of practical experience before graduating. Stanford also has the best clinical program in the country (obviously not a /fact/ but basically one) and by having the quarter system, all you do for the entire quarter is clinic, so you can fully engage and focus on only clinic. Clinics are also easier to get into because of small class sizes.

Add this all up and you end up taking 36 hours per year, which I think (though am not totally sure) is about 6 more hours (2 extra classes) than most schools average. So by graduation, you will be able to take about 6 more classes than at other schools. Another bonus is getting to take more classes with the same professors - by the end of this year, I'll have taken 2 classes with 2 separate professors. Wonderful for relationship building (which is also easier here at a small school).

In essence, the quarter system means opportunities. To choose your own classes, get to know professors, try things you wouldn't have, and get more practical experience. Exams more often sucks, but changes up the monotony a bit.

Any more questions - feel free to reply or PM.

* if you have interest in criminal work, stanford is one of the only schools that lets you take evidence as a 1L. If you stay in Cali your 1L summer, you can get certified as a 1L and argue motions in court. That's something you couldn't get from almost any other school in this tier as far as I know.

/typed in my phone/

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:54 am

^^Thank you soooooo much! You really went above and beyond to tie it all together for us. It is a welcome relief to see honest questions answered sincerely here on TLS without any snark. What a great representative for SLS... :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gold33

New

Post by gold33 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:32 am

Checking in! The shock still hasn't worn off.

Loving the moleskine :)

Fred Norris

Bronze

Post by Fred Norris » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10 am

banks -

Thanks for the lengthy reply!

So if my math is correct, you'd complete the fall courses in 2/3 the time than at somewhere like HLS?

Wait, for the matter, are classes are completed in 2/3 the time than at other schools?

banks

New

Post by banks » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Fred Norris wrote:banks -

Thanks for the lengthy reply!

So if my math is correct, you'd complete the fall courses in 2/3 the time than at somewhere like HLS?

Wait, for the matter, are classes are completed in 2/3 the time than at other schools?
Fall of your 1L it's the same length of time but with one extra class. So from August-December with 4 doctrinal. For all other quarters, it's ~ 2/3 time (maybe even 1/2) (late sept-early dec, jan-mid March, late March-June 6), but one less class than at HLS (12 hours avg vs 15 hrs avg). So yes, you finish in less time but take less classes. This means your reading load for each class is maybe? A bit heavier than it would be at HLS but I'm not sure cause I have nothing to compare it to! :)

My pleasure - I want everyone to have as much info as possible. It's a tough decision, but you can't go wrong. But, I remember scouring TLS for SLS info and not many students were giving it - probably a size thing.

Fred Norris

Bronze

Post by Fred Norris » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Got it. I really like that. I do enjoy actually being in class and learning - as I imagine many students a S do. The fact that I can really load up on courses is great.

The faculty: student ratio is also fantastic. I definitely feel that about clerkships? that's the logic right? More opportunity to get close with professors = better clerkship recommendations = better clerkships?

I believe Stanford bests HLS by more than 10%. Any idea of the "quality" of clerkships? I won't knock a North Dakota Clerkship, I am sure that would actually be one of the coolest things out there. But in terms of clerking for Courts that are determining fundamental issues likely to impact the country as a whole in huge ways.

Would you say S is on par with H in terms of my VERY SUBJECTIVE definition of quality.

Another thing: cost. I look at the cost of housing and I get shivers already. I've lived in some of the most expensive cities in the world, and they don't even come close. Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:38 pm

Fred Norris wrote:Got it. I really like that. I do enjoy actually being in class and learning - as I imagine many students a S do. The fact that I can really load up on courses is great.

The faculty: student ratio is also fantastic. I definitely feel that about clerkships? that's the logic right? More opportunity to get close with professors = better clerkship recommendations = better clerkships?

I believe Stanford bests HLS by more than 10%. Any idea of the "quality" of clerkships? I won't knock a North Dakota Clerkship, I am sure that would actually be one of the coolest things out there. But in terms of clerking for Courts that are determining fundamental issues likely to impact the country as a whole in huge ways.

Would you say S is on par with H in terms of my VERY SUBJECTIVE definition of quality.

Another thing: cost. I look at the cost of housing and I get shivers already. I've lived in some of the most expensive cities in the world, and they don't even come close. Thoughts?
Dude, you need to cool it with this prestige nonsense. Trying to decide between schools based on the "quality" of the federal clerkships they place graduates into is completely ridiculous. There are so, so many other factors you should be considering ahead of which school puts you in the best place to be a Supreme Court justice or the President, which is an utterly ridiculous proposition when you're 1) already talking about the top few law schools in the country and 2) what, 23 years old? I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling half the time. Go visit the schools you got into, see what you like best, and make your decision.

Fred Norris

Bronze

Post by Fred Norris » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:40 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
Dude, you need to cool it with this prestige nonsense. Trying to decide between schools based on the "quality" of the federal clerkships they place graduates into is completely ridiculous. There are so, so many other factors you should be considering ahead of which school puts you in the best place to be a Supreme Court justice or the President, which is an utterly ridiculous proposition when you're 1) already talking about the top few law schools in the country and 2) what, 23 years old? I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling half the time. Go visit the schools you got into, see what you like best, and make your decision.

Tell you what - I'll pick the factors that concern me. You pick the factors that concern you. I've found that those who offer unsolicited advice are the most vexing to deal with Do you really care that much what I do with my life? I suspect you wouldn't care if I jumped off a bridge (not that I would - it's just that you have absolutely no reason to care about me period), which makes me all the more curious as to why you care what I do regarding law school. Or, is it just that it boil your blood that I have a different opinion than you regarding what I should do with my life.

I was quite clear my goal is to get a clerkship at a court making major decisions. It's not prestige.
Last edited by Fred Norris on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Fred Norris wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

Tell you what - I'll pick the factors that concern me. You pick the factors that concern you. I've found that those who offer unsolicited advice are the most vexing to deal with Do you really care that much what I do with my life? I suspect you wouldn't care if I jumped off a bridge (not that I would - it's just that you have absolutely no reason to care about me period), which makes me all the more curious as to why you care what I do regarding law school. Or, is it just that it boil your blood that I have a different opinion than you regarding what I should do with my life.

I was quite clear my goal is to get a clerkship at a court making major decisions.

Tell you what, since this seems to concern you, I'll shut my trap and allow you to outline my goals. Please don't waste my time, either. I want a list of clear goals for me and perhaps a step-by-step guide.
Not Mets, but if you'll let me outline your goals:

1. Choose Harvard.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Fred Norris wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

Tell you what - I'll pick the factors that concern me. You pick the factors that concern you. I've found that those who offer unsolicited advice are the most vexing to deal with. Do you really care that much what I do with my life. I suspect you wouldn't care if I jumped off a bridge (not that I would - it's just that you have absolutely no reason to care about me period), which makes me all the more curious as to why you care what I do regarding law school.
I don't care what you do with your life. I'm just trying to tell you you're going into law school with some very inaccurate perceptions and expectations, and I think it will hurt you to continually ignore the advice you get back when you ask questions like this one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”