Stanford Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision making process?

Committed to Stanford!
48%
99% sure I'll be at Stanford, 1% room for changing my mind
16%
Still waiting on financial aid
No votes
Still weighing my other options
4%
Definitely attending another school
32%

Total votes: 25

LoganCouture

Gold

Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:49 am

Thank you to xylocarp for the lovely banner!

Most of the info here is basically lifted from everything_bagel's work on the SLS 2018 Applicants thread, so thanks bagel!

Welcome to the Farm!

Please share helpful links to put in the OP.

Key Dates
Deadline to submit FAFSA and NeedAccess: March 15 (to receive a response prior to May 1 commitment deadline)
ASW: April 24-27
Move-In for 1Ls: August 24
Orientation begins: August 26
1L classes begin: August 31

Visiting
Virtual Tour
In-person visits

Housing
MUNGER
UNOFFICIAL Munger Video Tour

Although Munger is by far the most popular living option for incoming SLS students, it is by no means the only option. Many couples (especially those with children) choose to live in the family-friendly Escondido Village. An overview of housing options for law students is available here. Living off campus close to the university is hella expensive, but necessary in certain situations (e.g. you own a pet that is not a companion or service animal).

Awesome Facts
LST Profile
Employment Stats
The "3D Model" of Legal Education

Goings-on
Good People Should Not Be Prosecutors

Reference Threads
SLS 1L Taking Questions

Employment Outcomes

*2.6% of jobs reflected in these numbers are school-funded.
Data from Law School Transparency.

Tuition and Financial Aid
Tuition (2014-2015): $52,350
Total Including Books and COL: $82,761
Average Financial Aid Award: $23,000
Financial Aid Budgeting for Laptops: $3,300
LRAP (note: can cover other student loans/fees incurred in other grad programs)
Financial Aid Handbook (2014-15, to be updated when 2015-16 version becomes available)

Student Body
ABA 509

Data from Law School Transparency.

Academics and Student Life
Student Organizations
Journals
Programs and Centers
Clinics
Areas of Interest

Poll Results
Last edited by LoganCouture on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

cc78

Silver

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Post by cc78 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 am

Good job, LC!

Checking in...:)

dtd5

New

Post by dtd5 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:59 am

Thanks LC and everything_bagel :D Checking in, myself! See you at ASW and good luck with other schools!

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:17 am

Great work on this, thanks!

psychmusic

Bronze

Post by psychmusic » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:56 am

Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jemthey17

Silver

Post by jemthey17 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:18 am

psychmusic wrote:Checking in

I missed a call last night from a Stanford area code. Probably just them letting me know my acceptance was made in error and there's no chance they actually want me there next year
LOL, this will be my thought process until I get the admit packet.

Also, great work on the thread, lc and everything_bagel! Stanford is gorgeous!

foamborn

Bronze

Post by foamborn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:23 am

do y'all know if a travel stipend can be secured outside of ASW? i'd like to visit sooner rather than later.

psychmusic

Bronze

Post by psychmusic » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:55 am

Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:04 pm

psychmusic wrote:
foamborn wrote:do y'all know if a travel stipend can be secured outside of ASW? i'd like to visit sooner rather than later.
Unfortunately I don't think reimbursement is offered outside ASW
Kinda sucks because their ASW is later than (at least) a couple deposit deadlines in the T14. Maybe if you mention that they might be able to hook you up with something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Checking in! Beautiful thread, LC! ;)

I'm so thrilled about this place. I have some good $$$ offers elsewhere but tbh after I got the email I got this catchy song stuck in my head: Call your law school / it's time you had the talk / give your reasons / tell them it's not their fault / but youuu just found somebody newww...

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:30 pm

everything_bagel wrote:Checking in! Beautiful thread, LC! ;)

I'm so thrilled about this place. I have some good $$$ offers elsewhere but tbh after I got the email I got this catchy song stuck in my head: Call your law school / it's time you had the talk / give your reasons / tell them it's not their fault / but youuu just found somebody newww...
And then UChicago was like:

I CAME IN LIKE A WREEEEECKING BAAAAALL

jemthey17

Silver

Post by jemthey17 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Your gif game has been on point, lc.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 pm

jemthey17 wrote:Your gif game has been on point, lc.
Thanks jem :) I debated going with "and then everything changed when the fire nation UChicago attacked" but I figured Miley was a better bet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Alright...I'm ready to offer up the first anxious post of this here little thread...I wrote the contact that the SLS ASW suggests to contact when setting up a campus visit. I emailed her toward the end of last week and still haven't heard anything back. Have other people noticed some lag when communicating with SLS admissions? I am tempted to follow up and I really don't want to annoy anyone, but I'd really like to lock in this cheap airfare I can get out to the Bay.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:09 pm

cc78 wrote:Alright...I'm ready to offer up the first anxious post of this here little thread...I wrote the contact that the SLS ASW suggests to contact when setting up a campus visit. I emailed her toward the end of last week and still haven't heard anything back. Have other people noticed some lag when communicating with SLS admissions? I am tempted to follow up and I really don't want to annoy anyone, but I'd really like to lock in this cheap airfare I can get out to the Bay.
I got an email from Faye this morning and responded and she responded very promptly back. I would just call? The office should be open a while longer.

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:11 pm

lc39 wrote:
cc78 wrote:Alright...I'm ready to offer up the first anxious post of this here little thread...I wrote the contact that the SLS ASW suggests to contact when setting up a campus visit. I emailed her toward the end of last week and still haven't heard anything back. Have other people noticed some lag when communicating with SLS admissions? I am tempted to follow up and I really don't want to annoy anyone, but I'd really like to lock in this cheap airfare I can get out to the Bay.
I got an email from Faye this morning and responded and she responded very promptly back. I would just call? The office should be open a while longer.
Hahahahaha, what's up LC, Faye just emails you? When I grow up I want to be as cool as you. I'll just forward her my original email and see if she can help me out. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I do need to get this sorted out.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:15 pm

cc78 wrote:
lc39 wrote:
Hahahahaha, what's up LC, Faye just emails you? When I grow up I want to be as cool as you. I'll just forward her my original email and see if she can help me out. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I do need to get this sorted out.
Because they've already received my admissions package "return to sender - no longer at this address." I'm having USPS issues that I'm trying to get resolved. So I told Faye I'd let her know when USPS fixes itself so she can re-send the package. At first I definitely thought it was a "We're sorry, we called you by mistake yesterday" email, haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flomotion

New

Post by flomotion » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:05 pm

Hey!! Congrats to everyone here and checking in. Whoo.

Second bit of neuroticism on this thread I suppose: how long did it take for you to receive your packet in the mail? Faye said it was mailed out last Friday but since there's no tracking I just want to make sure I know when to expect it. I live in SF so I am pretty close... Normally mail only takes 1-2 days within CA but I haven't received it yet.

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:41 pm

flomotion wrote:Hey!! Congrats to everyone here and checking in. Whoo.

Second bit of neuroticism on this thread I suppose: how long did it take for you to receive your packet in the mail? Faye said it was mailed out last Friday but since there's no tracking I just want to make sure I know when to expect it. I live in SF so I am pretty close... Normally mail only takes 1-2 days within CA but I haven't received it yet.
I live in the south and I got my package 2 days after Faye's call, so you wouldn't be too crazy to wonder at this point.

jemthey17

Silver

Post by jemthey17 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:44 pm

cc78 wrote:
flomotion wrote:Hey!! Congrats to everyone here and checking in. Whoo.

I live in the south and I got my package 2 days after Faye's call, so you wouldn't be too crazy to wonder at this point.
Whoa! Is their mail sent out express? That's really fast.

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:34 pm

This is the great mystery to me. Maybe they have magic mail at Stanford. I wouldn't be surprised.

On another note, I've gotten my visit email situation resolved and am confirmed to be heading west next month. I am SO excited!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:20 pm

cc78 wrote:This is the great mystery to me. Maybe they have magic mail at Stanford. I wouldn't be surprised.

On another note, I've gotten my visit email situation resolved and am confirmed to be heading west next month. I am SO excited!
The post office is on campus (literally right next to the law school) so that may explain it some?

Also, so glad you got the visit situation cleared up.

foamborn

Bronze

Post by foamborn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 pm

lc, where do u stand on deciding between stanford and yale?

littlepuff

New

Post by littlepuff » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Last edited by littlepuff on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:35 pm

littlepuff wrote:Checking in !
Welcome, pull up a chair...we are very nice people in here :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”