Stanford Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision making process?

Committed to Stanford!
48%
99% sure I'll be at Stanford, 1% room for changing my mind
16%
Still waiting on financial aid
No votes
Still weighing my other options
4%
Definitely attending another school
32%

Total votes: 25

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks Strugglebus!

What did everyone get for housing? I'll be in Munger 4 :D

JER1986

New

Post by JER1986 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:38 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote: What did everyone get for housing? I'll be in Munger 4 :D
I'm looking at off-campus options in the area. (I'll be bringing my dog with me, so living on campus is unfortunately not an option.) I'll probably post something on the Facebook group, but it can't hurt to ask here as well. Housing costs appear to be terrible across the board, but I figure it'd be much more manageable to split a two- or three-bedroom place if anyone is interested. So, anybody who's dog-friendly and looking for potential off-campus roommates, feel free to shoot me a message and we can discuss options. For some basic demographics, I'm a 29-year-old male and I'll be getting out of the Marine Corps this summer and moving from North Carolina to California sometime in mid-August. I'm not hugely picky on roommates as long as we get along.

Anyway, I hope the housing lottery worked out well for everyone and I'm looking forward to meeting y'all in the fall.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:19 am

checking in off the waitlist!!

any ppl who chose S over H or were deciding between the two pls pm! tyia

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:56 pm

koalacity wrote:
littlepuff wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:CHECKING IN :mrgreen:

I also have a question for you lovely people. I'm trying to do some H vs. S research, and I keep seeing in past TLS "H vs. S" threads that Stanford's no-grade policy is something to compare with Harvard's more competitive environment. Some quick google searches, however, seem to indicate that H and S use essentially the same grading system.

Harvard: Honors, Pass, Low Pass, Fail
Stanford: Honors, Pass, Restricted Credit, Fail

Where, then, is the difference in grades? Am I missing something? Has the system changed?
Congrats!

Stanford changed its grading system to the current one in the fall of 2008, a year before Harvard's reform. I can see at least one "H vs S" thread that was posted in the fall of 2008, at which point only Stanford had adopted the four-level grading system.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, almost no student at Stanford receives an RC, while some classes at Harvard do give out LPs to a small number of students. But I think Harvard is also moving toward giving increasingly fewer LPs.

But all in all, I think that the grading systems of the two schools have little difference.

(Edited to add some more comments)
It's unclear how many students receive RCs. I've heard everything from "never" to 10-15 students per year. I do think that LPs are slightly more prevalent at H, though.

Note that the grading scale also includes book prizes (for Stanford) and DS (for Harvard), which are basically the same thing (awarded to the top handful of people per class).

Note also that Harvard's grading scale is a bit more generous (~38% H/rest P) than Stanford's (hard 30% H/rest P) AND that Harvard's curve is discretionary for seminars, which is not true at Stanford. The bolded isn't something I was aware of before coming here, but it's something to seriously consider-having curved seminars sucks.

eta: the source I have for there being something like 10-15 RCs given per year is a pretty reliable one. I don't know of anyone who got one, but it's also true that getting an RC isn't something that people would be likely to share with others (especially given that most people don't talk about grades much anyway).
Beating a long dead horse here, but koala (PM or FB me since I'm genuinely curious) where did you hear that seminars are hard-curved? Two of my spring professors both said to multiple members of our classes that they liked that [because they weren't a required 1L course] they were not constrained by the curve and could go up to (iirc) 50% H's.

turtles

New

Post by turtles » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Vincent wrote:
koalacity wrote:
littlepuff wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:CHECKING IN :mrgreen:

I also have a question for you lovely people. I'm trying to do some H vs. S research, and I keep seeing in past TLS "H vs. S" threads that Stanford's no-grade policy is something to compare with Harvard's more competitive environment. Some quick google searches, however, seem to indicate that H and S use essentially the same grading system.

Harvard: Honors, Pass, Low Pass, Fail
Stanford: Honors, Pass, Restricted Credit, Fail

Where, then, is the difference in grades? Am I missing something? Has the system changed?
Congrats!

Stanford changed its grading system to the current one in the fall of 2008, a year before Harvard's reform. I can see at least one "H vs S" thread that was posted in the fall of 2008, at which point only Stanford had adopted the four-level grading system.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, almost no student at Stanford receives an RC, while some classes at Harvard do give out LPs to a small number of students. But I think Harvard is also moving toward giving increasingly fewer LPs.

But all in all, I think that the grading systems of the two schools have little difference.

(Edited to add some more comments)
It's unclear how many students receive RCs. I've heard everything from "never" to 10-15 students per year. I do think that LPs are slightly more prevalent at H, though.

Note that the grading scale also includes book prizes (for Stanford) and DS (for Harvard), which are basically the same thing (awarded to the top handful of people per class).

Note also that Harvard's grading scale is a bit more generous (~38% H/rest P) than Stanford's (hard 30% H/rest P) AND that Harvard's curve is discretionary for seminars, which is not true at Stanford. The bolded isn't something I was aware of before coming here, but it's something to seriously consider-having curved seminars sucks.

eta: the source I have for there being something like 10-15 RCs given per year is a pretty reliable one. I don't know of anyone who got one, but it's also true that getting an RC isn't something that people would be likely to share with others (especially given that most people don't talk about grades much anyway).
Beating a long dead horse here, but koala (PM or FB me since I'm genuinely curious) where did you hear that seminars are hard-curved? Two of my spring professors both said to multiple members of our classes that they liked that [because they weren't a required 1L course] they were not constrained by the curve and could go up to (iirc) 50% H's.
deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Notareallawyer123

New

Post by Notareallawyer123 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:33 pm

Anyone have any advice for affordable housing off campus for a couple?

Munger's price is ridiculous and Escondido is pretty full (plus 400 square feet for two people sounds a little hard).

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:41 pm

Notareallawyer123 wrote:Anyone have any advice for affordable housing off campus for a couple?

Munger's price is ridiculous and Escondido is pretty full (plus 400 square feet for two people sounds a little hard).
You will not find off-campus housing more affordable than Munger or EV *anywhere* near the law school. If Munger is available to you, take it and don't look back.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:43 pm

koalacity wrote:
Notareallawyer123 wrote:Anyone have any advice for affordable housing off campus for a couple?

You will not find off-campus housing more affordable than Munger or EV *anywhere* near the law school. If Munger is available to you, take it and don't look back.
Really true re: price. Just wanted to add that I have lived in EV couples housing (mid rise 1Br) for a year and don't find it too small. But I guess that depends on what kind of space you're used to and how much stuff y'all have.

But to check out housing other places craigslist and supost.com are where I'd look.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”