Columbia Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Why did you choose Columbia?

16%
Prestige/ranking
39%
Job prospects
24%
Professors and academics
6%
$$ The big fat Hamilton I got $$
16%

Total votes: 122

Hand

Gold

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Post by Hand » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:50 pm

cloudysky wrote:Hi everyone, I've got a bit of a conundrum. I've recently been admitted to Columbia. However, due to a stupid oversight on my part missing the deadline to drop a course, I find myself at risk of failing one of my courses in my last term. Even if I fail this course, I'll still have all my requirements to graduate, and my other marks will be consistent with the GPA that I used to apply with. My question is do you guys think failing a course in my last term will jeopardize my admission to Columbia?
stop posting this everywhere

lester

New

Post by lester » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Hey all,

For those of you who have been working on their financial aid application to Columbia, do you know if the Financial Aid Office allows for the secure upload of tax forms and the questionnaire, or is the only choice mail? I could not find confirmation of either on their site.

Jessasaurus

Bronze

Post by Jessasaurus » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Four Winds wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:
Four Winds wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote: Gym is shitty
How shitty are we talking? And is it normally crawling with undergrads?
Yes crawling with undergrads. And we are talking incredibly shitty. Sign up for use of machines but can only use them a half hour (if any are even available). The place is like always busy and crowded. Really just not enough equipment for all the people who use it.
Yikes. Thanks for the insight. Do most law students brave the stampede or do they opt for non-Columbia options (NYSC etc.)?

Its a mixed bag. I think a lot of 1ls brave the stampede, but after 1l SAs or knowing you will have an SA for 2l people tend to splurge and go elsewhere. There are discounts for columbia students at local gyms, but from what I've heard it's still fairly pricey. Not sure how much, since I (only occasionally) brave the columbia gym.

What's good is when its nice out, we are so close to riverside park or central park that you can run/bike etc outside.

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:
Four Winds wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:
Yes crawling with undergrads. And we are talking incredibly shitty. Sign up for use of machines but can only use them a half hour (if any are even available). The place is like always busy and crowded. Really just not enough equipment for all the people who use it.
Yikes. Thanks for the insight. Do most law students brave the stampede or do they opt for non-Columbia options (NYSC etc.)?

Its a mixed bag. I think a lot of 1ls brave the stampede, but after 1l SAs or knowing you will have an SA for 2l people tend to splurge and go elsewhere. There are discounts for columbia students at local gyms, but from what I've heard it's still fairly pricey. Not sure how much, since I (only occasionally) brave the columbia gym.

What's good is when its nice out, we are so close to riverside park or central park that you can run/bike etc outside.
It's weird that you're acting like a gym expert as if you go there regularly, it just feels disingenuous.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:26 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:
Four Winds wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:

It's weird that you're acting like a gym expert as if you go there regularly, it just feels disingenuous.
very disingenuous

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:28 pm

*Complaints about the gym*

*Can barely remember what the gym is actually like*

Jess,

Can you give us a review of the philosophy department?
Last edited by TheoO on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Sooo, how about that housing PID, Columbia?
Admitted Students Website wrote:A unique Columbia ID that is emailed to you by the Admissions office shortly after you receive your Offer of Admission

Also, thanks for additional responses to the good/bad points question. Sounds like it's best to get the hell out of Dodge.

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Has anyone who didn't get scholly info with their admission letter gotten any information about merit or need awards?

Four Winds

Bronze

Post by Four Winds » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Jessasaurus wrote: Its a mixed bag. I think a lot of 1ls brave the stampede, but after 1l SAs or knowing you will have an SA for 2l people tend to splurge and go elsewhere. There are discounts for columbia students at local gyms, but from what I've heard it's still fairly pricey. Not sure how much, since I (only occasionally) brave the columbia gym.

Woof. Thanks for this!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:25 am

fra wrote:Has anyone who didn't get scholly info with their admission letter gotten any information about merit or need awards?
Also very curious about this. I did get two normal-looking letters from Columbia in the last few days, each of which got Mr. andthenIwaslike very excited about potential finaid news, but no, it just more recruitment material.

... kind of lame to send it in what looks like a finaid letter, Columbia.

try.honesty

New

Post by try.honesty » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:26 am

andthenIwaslike wrote:
fra wrote:Has anyone who didn't get scholly info with their admission letter gotten any information about merit or need awards?
Also very curious about this. I did get two normal-looking letters from Columbia in the last few days, each of which got Mr. andthenIwaslike very excited about potential finaid news, but no, it just more recruitment material.

Same!!! Went to my mailbox yesterday and saw two letters from Columbia, mildly freaked out, and nope.... :shock:

tina

New

Post by tina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:35 am

I didnt get my FinAid award until April last year, so I wouldnt worry about it. Columbia takes their sweet ass time doing stuff like that.

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:56 am

try.honesty wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:

Same!!! Went to my mailbox yesterday and saw two letters from Columbia, mildly freaked out, and nope.... :shock:
Wow so everyone receives two! I found two in my mailbox today in a nice letter-sized envelope but having read this thread earlier in the day, I didn't get any hopes up... still weird; they could have saved postage costs and just sent emails

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

af0890

New

Post by af0890 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Last edited by af0890 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:09 pm

af0890 wrote:Is Columbia the only T14 school that requires your 2014 tax return by March 1 BEFORE they can give you an award? Everywhere else I've seen seems to just need the return at some point to make adjustments. Anywhere else have that March 1 deadline?
Cornell has a March 1st deadline. But both schools accept 2013 forms in lieu of 2014 forms by that date and then you can update them with 2014 when you get them. I don't know if they'll give you an award before then though.

Four Winds

Bronze

Post by Four Winds » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:42 pm

Which package did the Financial Aid Questionnaire come in? Did it come with the original offer of admission? I'm having trouble finding it.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Four Winds wrote:Which package did the Financial Aid Questionnaire come in? Did it come with the original offer of admission? I'm having trouble finding it.
no it's in the admitted students handbook

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:04 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
Four Winds wrote:Which package did the Financial Aid Questionnaire come in? Did it come with the original offer of admission? I'm having trouble finding it.
It is also online

Four Winds

Bronze

Post by Four Winds » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:45 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
It is also online
Thanks! I found it - fyi for those who were lost like me, it's on the Admitted Students website, not the financial aid one.

goldenbear92

New

Post by goldenbear92 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Anyone else attending the 2nd ASW? Admitted Feb. 17 but finally checking in :D

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:33 pm

goldenbear92 wrote:Anyone else attending the 2nd ASW? Admitted Feb. 17 but finally checking in :D
I'll be there (because I couldn't go next week due to work -_-)!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:50 pm

Checking in

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Skool wrote:Checking in
Awesome, congrats :)

Beanie14

New

Post by Beanie14 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Finally made my travel plans for the ASW next week!

Does anyone know what appropriate attire for it is?

lnick93

Bronze

Post by lnick93 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Beanie14 wrote:Finally made my travel plans for the ASW next week!

Does anyone know what appropriate attire for it is?
I believe TCR is look nice, but you don't need to wear business professional.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”