UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW events are you attending?

BJSA Welcome Event
No votes
FGP Welcome Dinner
34%
WOCC Dinner
16%
BHWA Happy Hour
9%
BJIL BBQ
6%
BTLJ Happy Hour
No votes
BJELL Happy Hour
No votes
AAPI Dinner
13%
MELSA Dinner
3%
La Raza Welcome
19%

Total votes: 32

LoganCouture

Gold

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:36 pm

180kickflip,

I took it to mean that the total award will remain constant year over year. The need aid portion of it may become bigger or smaller but that won't change the overall award amount. Basically I think they just say that to clarify that the fellowship and need aid don't "stack" (giving you more $) but rather that need aid is subsumed as part of the fellowship.

hannahp38

New

Post by hannahp38 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:07 pm

breadcarp wrote:So I have a scholarship deadline of April 20 from NYU (not the one I used for matching) and I'm guessing the matching hold wont be done by then. NYU just informed me that my request for more time was declined, so if I want their money I need to deposit by Monday. The stressful thing is that Berkeley hasn't responded one way or another to my request for a quicker decision. If I call them they ask me to e-mail, and when I e-mail they don't respond. :(
I'm in the same boat over here. Really stressing out :(

Blue0613

New

Post by Blue0613 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:30 am

I am an idiot. Please delete.I am an idiot. Please delete.I am an idiot. Please delete.I am an idiot. Please delete.I am an idiot. Please delete.
Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fareslols

New

Post by Fareslols » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:24 pm

0L here, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Still, quality of life was one consideration among many for me, so I dug a little deeper.

I sort of got a negative vibe, too, from other schools. When I visited Columbia, the negativity was muted, but it was definitely there. At Berkeley, however, I was told universally positive stories. And I didn't just limit myself to tour guides and people on Admissions' payroll. I walked around and found several random people and asked them about their student experiences.

The bottom like is that the life of a 1L is hard no matter where you go. But it's not so hard that students come away with a bad taste in their mouths, at least at Berkeley. Many said that their time at Berkeley has been the best years of their life so far -- and I was inclined to believe it. The cultural landscape was awesome, with tons of diversity and a really lovely and lively student culture. Plus, there are perks to being a short train ride from a huge cultural center (SF).

So, life as a 1L is going to be obnoxious, dominated by minutia, and generally overwhelming. But that's law school, and it seems like Berkeley is better than most as far as livability is concerned.

Hope this helps!

Comma.Split

Bronze

Post by Comma.Split » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Fareslols wrote:0L here, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Still, quality of life was one consideration among many for me, so I dug a little deeper.

I sort of got a negative vibe, too, from other schools. When I visited Columbia, the negativity was muted, but it was definitely there. At Berkeley, however, I was told universally positive stories. And I didn't just limit myself to tour guides and people on Admissions' payroll. I walked around and found several random people and asked them about their student experiences.

The bottom like is that the life of a 1L is hard no matter where you go. But it's not so hard that students come away with a bad taste in their mouths, at least at Berkeley. Many said that their time at Berkeley has been the best years of their life so far -- and I was inclined to believe it. The cultural landscape was awesome, with tons of diversity and a really lovely and lively student culture. Plus, there are perks to being a short train ride from a huge cultural center (SF).

So, life as a 1L is going to be obnoxious, dominated by minutia, and generally overwhelming. But that's law school, and it seems like Berkeley is better than most as far as livability is concerned.

Hope this helps!
0L here too, but I have good friends at Berkeley Law and Columbia Law (2Ls and 3Ls). Columbia students keep telling me how much they hated the culture and the cold-hearted competitiveness there. Unless you are a complete sociopath who doesn't care about anything but being the #1 associate at the #1 BigLaw at any cost, you will have a hard time adjusting to Columbia culture. At Berkeley, there is a mix of sociopaths and social butterflies. So, you can always find your niche. Generally, my Berkeley friends had a positive experience, and my Columbia friends had 3 years of depression. The question is whether whatever Columbia has to offer over Berkeley is worth the 3 years of misery to you personally.

Edit: Of course, we are talking in relative terms. Being a 1L at any school is a miserable experience. In my opinion, the difference is whether you will have a chat and a drink with classmates once every month or once every semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

app25

New

Post by app25 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Hey everyone,

Not sure if there is another blog talking about this, but has anyone started thinking about housing?

Is the norm to do on campus housing? My concern with on campus housing is that it's a 12 month lease and I was told you cannot sublet, so what if you want to be somewhere else during the summer?

Any information on housing would be great...Basically I want to be able to find reasonably priced housing and reasonable quality that is on a month-to-month basis.

Blue0613

New

Post by Blue0613 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:03 am

I am an idiot. Please delete.I am an idiot. Please delete.I am an idiot. Please delete.I am an idiot. Please delete.
Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NutellaDipity

New

Post by NutellaDipity » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:07 am

When I visited in March most people I met were paying around $1000-1400 monthly, living either in a nicer place in Oakland or smaller and more dated etc in berkeley not too far from the school.

breadcarp

New

Post by breadcarp » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:19 pm

Has anyone been held on matching past the deadline for the scholarship they sent in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:58 pm

Is anyone else still waiting on administration to respond to an email? Been over a week and a half now, wondering if I should call or if this is normal

trynalaw123

Bronze

Post by trynalaw123 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on administration to respond to an email? Been over a week and a half now, wondering if I should call or if this is normal
I emailed them late March and never got a response.

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:00 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on administration to respond to an email? Been over a week and a half now, wondering if I should call or if this is normal
Yep, I've sent several emails in the last week to like 3 different email addresses with no response

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:05 pm

sheishkabob wrote:
Yep, I've sent several emails in the last week to like 3 different email addresses with no response
Well shoot. That's lame

Edit: at least I'm not alone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

breadcarp

New

Post by breadcarp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:41 pm

The email that just went out is such salt. "Our websites down, email us about important stuff" ... really lol.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:58 am

breadcarp wrote:The email that just went out is such salt. "Our websites down, email us about important stuff" ... really lol.
Probably a response to the saltiness in this thread haha

bingo90

New

Post by bingo90 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Did anyone's deadline pass on the school that you used for the matching app? I'm wondering if they at least will tell us we've been denied before the other school's deadline.

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:17 pm

bingo90 wrote:Did anyone's deadline pass on the school that you used for the matching app? I'm wondering if they at least will tell us we've been denied before the other school's deadline.
My other school's deadline is Friday. I keep emailing Berkeley asking them to let me know before then, but still nothing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bingo90

New

Post by bingo90 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:43 pm

lilith66 wrote:
bingo90 wrote:Did anyone's deadline pass on the school that you used for the matching app? I'm wondering if they at least will tell us we've been denied before the other school's deadline.
My other school's deadline is Friday. I keep emailing Berkeley asking them to let me know before then, but still nothing.
Same. I was still holding out hope, but that hope is basically gone at this point.

breadcarp

New

Post by breadcarp » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Update for anyone still waiting: The deadline I used for matching is Friday and I was given a partial matching a few minutes ago. I used a Cornell offer. My email did reference my upcoming deadline.

Good luck to everyone else!

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:40 pm

Just heard back about my Matching. Combined with my need-based, they offered me more than the other school. So happy!

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Were you guys in the held wave?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:26 pm

sheishkabob wrote:Were you guys in the held wave?
Yep, I was. Got the held email last Tuesday and heard back today after emailing them a bunch of times with a reminder of my deadline.

hannahp38

New

Post by hannahp38 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 pm

I called and they told me anyone with a 4/24 deadline will hear today, but I still haven't gotten an email..

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:37 pm

lilith66 wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Were you guys in the held wave?
Yep, I was. Got the held email last Tuesday and heard back today after emailing them a bunch of times with a reminder of my deadline.
Congrats!!!! I am so, so jealous.

Officially giving up hope now, this is heartbreaking to say the least. My matching request was for Cornell as well (this Friday deadline) and I've sent several emails too...didn't hear anything today

:(

sehunter

New

Post by sehunter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Hey Guys!

Long time lurker here. Just wanted to let you know that I just got my matching today and it was in my spam folder. You might want to check yours!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”