UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW events are you attending?

BJSA Welcome Event
No votes
FGP Welcome Dinner
34%
WOCC Dinner
16%
BHWA Happy Hour
9%
BJIL BBQ
6%
BTLJ Happy Hour
No votes
BJELL Happy Hour
No votes
AAPI Dinner
13%
MELSA Dinner
3%
La Raza Welcome
19%

Total votes: 32

leslieknope

Silver

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018

Post by leslieknope » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Checking in! Just heard back today. I'll definitely be at ASW- just have to figure out if I'm staying with a friend or getting a hotel. So excited!

lawschoolprospect123

New

Post by lawschoolprospect123 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Checking in! So happy to be IN today. Will also definitely be going to ASW, can't wait to meet everyone!

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:18 pm

Should have checked in a while ago, but now I am finally here and excited to meet you all at ASW :)

paragonloop

Bronze

Post by paragonloop » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:30 pm

Welcome new admits!

So excited for the ASW in March!

gold33

New

Post by gold33 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Here! So excited :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi everyone, checking in! Just got in today off of FR. I currently live in Oakland so if people have questions about the area, I can try to answer. To the person concerned about safety - it's not really a concern. There's the homeless kids selling weed and rocks (literally, rocks) on the sidewalk and I dunno if I'd go in People's Park at night but you should be fine. Public transportation is definitely not comparable to NYC. To the person polling who is likely to go - I am like, 99% likely to go. Not sure what could happen to make me not go. It is hella expensive and I don't anticipate getting much aid but am planning on the LRAP route.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Welcome to the new admits!! Are you going to ASW??

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:43 pm

arose928 wrote:Hi everyone, checking in! Just got in today off of FR. I currently live in Oakland so if people have questions about the area, I can try to answer. To the person concerned about safety - it's not really a concern. There's the homeless kids selling weed and rocks (literally, rocks) on the sidewalk and I dunno if I'd go in People's Park at night but you should be fine. Public transportation is definitely not comparable to NYC. To the person polling who is likely to go - I am like, 99% likely to go. Not sure what could happen to make me not go. It is hella expensive and I don't anticipate getting much aid but am planning on the LRAP route.
Welcome! I'm probably going to have a million questions in another month or so.

VPorell

New

Post by VPorell » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:09 am

Hi everyone! I was just admitted on Friday with the big wave and I couldn't be more excited since Berkeley is my dream school. (Nerd confession: I bought a Berkeley Law t-shirt and wore it for motivation while studying for the LSAT.)
I really hope to be able to come for ASW, but I am currently living in Belgrade, Serbia, so it is a bit of a pricey trip (~$600). Hopefully, with some travel assistance I will be able to get there.
Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

titusandronicus

New

Post by titusandronicus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:14 am

Just checking in. I was admitted with the big wave on Friday. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the ASW.

stellaluna

New

Post by stellaluna » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Checking in! Admitted on Friday. Super excited. Not sure if I can attend ASW, though.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:42 pm

VPorell wrote:Hi everyone! I was just admitted on Friday with the big wave and I couldn't be more excited since Berkeley is my dream school. (Nerd confession: I bought a Berkeley Law t-shirt and wore it for motivation while studying for the LSAT.)
I really hope to be able to come for ASW, but I am currently living in Belgrade, Serbia, so it is a bit of a pricey trip (~$600). Hopefully, with some travel assistance I will be able to get there.
Nerd confession: Saturday I went down to the student store and bought a Cal sweatshirt :) I have had to deal with seeing people wear them all over the place and it drove me crazy but I told myself I wouldn't get anything until I actually got in!

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:47 pm

So happy that I can check into this thread. Definitely excited about Berk!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rollingwaves

New

Post by rollingwaves » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:03 pm

VPorell wrote:Hi everyone! I was just admitted on Friday with the big wave and I couldn't be more excited since Berkeley is my dream school. (Nerd confession: I bought a Berkeley Law t-shirt and wore it for motivation while studying for the LSAT.)
Not sure if you were planning on doing this already, but you (and others in a similar situation to yours) should definitely talk to admissions about giving you a bigger travel stipend. The standard amount is $300 or something, but they are flexible for people who have to travel further to attend ASW. Also, they normally reimburse you after you purchase your ticket, but in special circumstances they can purchase your ticket for you. I'm a current Boalt student and we've been advised to let people in your type of situation know about this. I also know other current students who needed a bigger stipend for ASW and were able to get it. The admissions office wants everyone to be able to visit regardless of financial circumstances.

VPorell

New

Post by VPorell » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:02 am

rollingwaves wrote:
Not sure if you were planning on doing this already, but you (and others in a similar situation to yours) should definitely talk to admissions about giving you a bigger travel stipend. The standard amount is $300 or something, but they are flexible for people who have to travel further to attend ASW. Also, they normally reimburse you after you purchase your ticket, but in special circumstances they can purchase your ticket for you. I'm a current Boalt student and we've been advised to let people in your type of situation know about this. I also know other current students who needed a bigger stipend for ASW and were able to get it. The admissions office wants everyone to be able to visit regardless of financial circumstances.
Thanks so much for the tip! I was planning on asking anyway, but it's reassuring that they have a history of granting requests like that.

lawschool20152011

New

Post by lawschool20152011 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi all -

I'm an international student coming to Berkeley Law from Canada. I'm super excited about attending in the fall. I just have a question about financial aid. I was wondering how I might go about filling out FAFSA as a non-US citizen/permanent resident to be considered for financial aid? As far as I know, FAFSA is only processed for local students but its a requirement for needs-based financial aid considerations.

Also, is FAFSA a requirement just for needs-based aid or do we need to fill it out for merit-based scholarship offers, such as the Dean's Scholarships as well?

Thanks for the help! Hope to see you at ASW.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Tr3 wrote:So happy that I can check into this thread. Definitely excited about Berk!
Hi Tr3!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Welcome! I will be there too! Excited!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:15 pm

titusandronicus wrote:Just checking in. I was admitted with the big wave on Friday. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the ASW.
Welcome! Are you planning to visit another time?

NOLAboy

New

Post by NOLAboy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what to expect as far as schedule for ASW. Trying to plan a flight from New York so really just wondering when in the day things start on the 12th and when they would end on the 14th. Would have emailed Admissions but I just got in on Friday and don't want to seem overzealous (even though I've been mentally shouting from the rooftops since Friday!)

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:56 pm

NOLAboy wrote:Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what to expect as far as schedule for ASW. Trying to plan a flight from New York so really just wondering when in the day things start on the 12th and when they would end on the 14th. Would have emailed Admissions but I just got in on Friday and don't want to seem overzealous (even though I've been mentally shouting from the rooftops since Friday!)
Welcome! On the first page post ITT I noted the event day/times. Let me know if you need more details and I'll logon to the asw site.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NOLAboy

New

Post by NOLAboy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 pm

DiniMae wrote:
NOLAboy wrote:Hi everyone!

Welcome! On the first page post ITT I noted the event day/times. Let me know if you need more details and I'll logon to the asw site.
Why thank you! That's very helpful. I'm surprised there's stuff happening Thursday but not on Saturday beyond brunch, but I guess that gives me some free time to explore SF nightlife?

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Anyone planning on staying past the 14th, btw? I haven't been up to the Bay since I was like 8 (bad Californian, I know), so I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay until Sunday night and spend the day in SF.

NOLAboy

New

Post by NOLAboy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:44 pm

leslieknope wrote:Anyone planning on staying past the 14th, btw? I haven't been up to the Bay since I was like 8 (bad Californian, I know), so I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay until Sunday night and spend the day in SF.
That's my plan precisely. I'm coming from New York so I'm trying to extend the trip as long as possible, so I'm aiming to be in SF Sat/Sun and leave Monday.

trynalaw123

Bronze

Post by trynalaw123 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:51 am

I haven't posted much, but I love Boalt - getting accepted was surreal - and I really hope to get the funds necessary to go next year!

For anyone who is thinking about visiting on a weekend other than ASW (I always knew I wouldn't be able to), I just visited this past week and it was amazing! So in love with it; the law building was gorgeous and it's situated on the most beautiful campus I've ever seen in my life AND has a view of the Golden Gate.

If you have any questions about what you can do for a non-ASW visit or if it was worthwhile, feel free to PM me :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”