Texas Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
76%
Most likely attending
12%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
No votes
Probably not attending
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
12%

Total votes: 33

celvreal

New

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Post by celvreal » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Is anyone considering cycling to class? Would this be a good idea while carrying around huge law books?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Plenty of people bike to and from school. You won't be carrying all 3 large casebooks home on a daily basis unless you're a really poor planner, and even if you are, putting all 3 casebooks in your backpack won't be too heavy to bike with.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Anyone hear anything from Vinson and Elkins yet? Some of us have emails that say we should hear by June 1st others have June 10th and I have one email saying each.

EarthdogFred

New

Post by EarthdogFred » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Venison and Elks?

EarthdogFred

New

Post by EarthdogFred » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Anyone ever noticed how when you drive by the Law School, it's extremely hard to get a good look at the building? There are a ton of strategically-positioned trees along the road. What are they hiding?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:02 pm

Along Dean Keeton? They're hiding the monstrosity that is the law library/jones hall.

EarthdogFred

New

Post by EarthdogFred » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Yeah, Dean Keeton, and I knew it. Monstrosity how?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 pm

If this doesn't scream "you will die here" then I don't know what does.

EarthdogFred

New

Post by EarthdogFred » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:11 pm

I take it you've never been to Waco?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:43 pm

Inside is somehow worse.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:49 pm

RancidSumo wrote:Inside is somehow worse.
Yeah, the outside is the nice part.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:25 am

BVest wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:Inside is somehow worse.
Yeah, the outside is the nice part.
We're still talking about Waco right?

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:21 pm

EarthdogFred wrote:Anyone ever noticed how when you drive by the Law School, it's extremely hard to get a good look at the building? There are a ton of strategically-positioned trees along the road. What are they hiding?
Depressed law students

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:22 pm

celvreal wrote:Is anyone considering cycling to class? Would this be a good idea while carrying around huge law books?
Austin has terrible drivers, and I've been hit while riding before, so...

celvreal

New

Post by celvreal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:16 pm

El Principe wrote:
celvreal wrote:Is anyone considering cycling to class? Would this be a good idea while carrying around huge law books?
That's terrible. I'm disconcerted with the whole parking situation. I know the San Jacinto parking garage is already packed so I was considering just cycling to class. Do you know what the commute time via UT shuttle is from the Red River area to the law school?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:55 pm

celvreal wrote:
El Principe wrote:
That's terrible. I'm disconcerted with the whole parking situation. I know the San Jacinto parking garage is already packed so I was considering just cycling to class. Do you know what the commute time via UT shuttle is from the Red River area to the law school?
Taking the Red River shuttle? Maybe like 10 minutes absolute worst case scenario.

"Red River area" might be something I dont know about though, apologies if so.

celvreal

New

Post by celvreal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:20 am

BigZuck wrote:
celvreal wrote:
El Principe wrote:
Taking the Red River shuttle? Maybe like 10 minutes absolute worst case scenario.

"Red River area" might be something I dont know about though, apologies if so.
Thanks! Yeah since San Jacinto is full, I don't think paying for another parking garage would be worth it. I could be wrong though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:51 am

FWIW (and mind you, I came in as a transfer who had attended UT a few years prior, so I already had a UT EID), during the summer prior to starting, I was able to buy a MAG (Manor Garage) pass for the summer which allowed me to get on the waitlist for SJG. By the time I started (actually, by the time my OCI started), my number came up on the waitlist and I had SJG. It required me purchasing a summer permit (like $120, IIRC), but it was worth it to me.

I have no idea how much of my ability to do that was related to my prior attendance of UT (and thus having a full UT EID already), and therefore whether folks who have never attended UT could do that, but look into it if you want.

ETA: If you're wondering how long to commute by bus, including walking time, do Google Maps directions from your apartment to 727 E Dean Keeton and then click the bus. Then select what time you think you'd be leaving. It will tell you how long you'll have to walk to the bus stop, how long before the bus comes, how long the bus takes, and how long to walk to the law school. (It also let's you select from various bus routes. The 600 bus routes are the UT shuttles, but all bus routes are free with UT ID.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

celvreal

New

Post by celvreal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:30 pm

BVest wrote:FWIW (and mind you, I came in as a transfer who had attended UT a few years prior, so I already had a UT EID), during the summer prior to starting, I was able to buy a MAG (Manor Garage) pass for the summer which allowed me to get on the waitlist for SJG. By the time I started (actually, by the time my OCI started), my number came up on the waitlist and I had SJG. It required me purchasing a summer permit (like $120, IIRC), but it was worth it to me.

I have no idea how much of my ability to do that was related to my prior attendance of UT (and thus having a full UT EID already), and therefore whether folks who have never attended UT could do that, but look into it if you want.

ETA: If you're wondering how long to commute by bus, including walking time, do Google Maps directions from your apartment to 727 E Dean Keeton and then click the bus. Then select what time you think you'd be leaving. It will tell you how long you'll have to walk to the bus stop, how long before the bus comes, how long the bus takes, and how long to walk to the law school. (It also let's you select from various bus routes. The 600 bus routes are the UT shuttles, but all bus routes are free with UT ID.
It doesn't hurt to look into it. Thanks! I appreciate it.

EarthdogFred

New

Post by EarthdogFred » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:48 pm

1. Bike or take the free shuttle, if you live reasonably close.
2. Tell your parents or sugar momma you need $$ for parking.
3. Buy beers and drink them with that money.
4. ??
5. Profit

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:To all the current students viewing the thread: would you mind sharing what you did/are doing your 1L summer?
A decent-sized minority of the class works at big firms. Fair amount do judicial internships, some RA, some work in government like the Texas Attorney General's office, some work for public interest organizations.

It's pretty much the same as most other law schools, although there might be a higher percentage at firms than at most places just because a 1L SA is somewhat of a thing in TX.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:59 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:58 am

Hikkomorist wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:To all the current students viewing the thread: would you mind sharing what you did/are doing your 1L summer?
A decent-sized minority of the class works at big firms. Fair amount do judicial internships, some RA, some work in government like the Texas Attorney General's office, some work for public interest organizations.

It's pretty much the same as most other law schools, although there might be a higher percentage at firms than at most places just because a 1L SA is somewhat of a thing in TX.
Thanks! 1L SAs still pretty much determined by first-semester grades, right?
1L grades and possibly some other factors firms really desire (diversity, maybe relevant work experience, etc.)

Eta: and yes, 1L grades=first semester

PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Post by PN-G bamakid » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:19 pm

cannibal ox wrote: [incredible explanation of UT 1L scheduling]
The level of awesomeness that you earned with this post is over 9,000.

So I understand this correctly, this indicates that different sections may take the same classes during different semesters, right? For example, we're all going to take LRW in the first semester of 1L, but one section may take Con Law in the Fall and Crim in the Spring, while the next section has it the opposite way around?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”