Texas Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
76%
Most likely attending
12%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
No votes
Probably not attending
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
12%

Total votes: 33

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Post by BrazilBandit » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Facebook post indicates that class schedules and book information will be released at a later date. Time to continue loading the UHaul...

dallas0013

New

Post by dallas0013 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Section 2 here. And I may be wrong, but the link to this grid says "Fall 2015", so it seems to me these indicate what classes you'll/we'll be in. https://law.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploa ... grid-2.pdf

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:51 pm

dallas0013 wrote:Section 2 here. And I may be wrong, but the link to this grid says "Fall 2015", so it seems to me these indicate what classes you'll/we'll be in. https://law.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploa ... grid-2.pdf
Good job! wouldn't show up on their search bar!

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:13 pm

So four classes? Also, what the hell is going on with the "LRLW" scheduling? Not a bad schedule overall.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:24 pm

If I'm reading it right, I'll end up having a class on Friday after all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:27 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:If I'm reading it right, I'll end up having a class on Friday after all.
I also have one Friday.

vsp12

New

Post by vsp12 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:28 pm

dallas0013 wrote:Section 2 here. And I may be wrong, but the link to this grid says "Fall 2015", so it seems to me these indicate what classes you'll/we'll be in. https://law.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploa ... grid-2.pdf

So section 2 should have Crim law, property, contracts and LRLW? Crim law seems to be the only one that's even further split

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:29 pm

RancidSumo wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:If I'm reading it right, I'll end up having a class on Friday after all.
I also have one Friday.
Count your blessings brother - after a closer reading, I've now found I may have up to three.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:30 pm

vsp12 wrote:

So section 2 should have Crim law, property, contracts and LRLW? Crim law seems to be the only one that's even further split
Yes. If you go to Page 18 on this thread there's a real nice breakdown of each section by Cannibal Ox.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Anyone else get an email from their small section mentor? Wondering if this will help determine which LRLW section we're in (e.g. one of Blinkova's sections in 3(1), another 3(2), etc.).

New_Texan

New

Post by New_Texan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:33 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:Anyone else get an email from their small section mentor? Wondering if this will help determine which LRLW section we're in (e.g. one of Blinkova's sections in 3(1), another 3(2), etc.).
I'm in section 3/Sutton as well, and I haven't gotten an email. Sutton is our small society within section 3, right? So I guess it could have something to do with LRLW. Who was your email from? My mentor listed on Freshlaw is Blair Watler.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 pm

New_Texan wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:Anyone else get an email from their small section mentor? Wondering if this will help determine which LRLW section we're in (e.g. one of Blinkova's sections in 3(1), another 3(2), etc.).
I'm in section 3/Sutton as well, and I haven't gotten an email. Sutton is our small society within section 3, right? So I guess it could have something to do with LRLW. Who was your email from? My mentor listed on Freshlaw is Blair Watler.
Hey! It's great to know another section and society member. Sutton is our small society, but I think we have two coordinators for our society and one for our small section which I assume is our LRLW class. My email was from Lindsey, who is also listed on my Freshlaw page.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

New_Texan

New

Post by New_Texan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:51 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:
New_Texan wrote:
Hey! It's great to know another section and society member. Sutton is our small society, but I think we have two coordinators for our society and one for our small section which I assume is our LRLW class. My email was from Lindsey, who is also listed on my Freshlaw page.
Great to "meet" you too! Ah, okay, that society/section set-up makes sense. In that case, I think the email must be indicating your LRLW class!

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:00 pm

New_Texan wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:
New_Texan wrote:
Great to "meet" you too! Ah, okay, that society/section set-up makes sense. In that case, I think the email must be indicating your LRLW class!
Yeah, there's a solid Section 3 showing on here haha And I think you should be hearing from your mentor pretty soon! If I remember correctly, I read somewhere on the Law site that mentors try to contact their groups before classes start to get to know them, maybe setup events prior to classes, etc.

I'll post it if I can find it again!

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Just confirmed your small section is your writing section. So for anyone wanting to get an idea of your finalized schedule, the .X after your section number (1, 2, 3, or 4) is your LRLW class for the semester. For example: 3.1 and 3.2 are section 3, small sections 1 and 2 and will have LRLW with Prof. Blinkova, whereas 3.3 and 3.4 will have theirs with Prof. Petrie.

Hope this helps anyone wondering!

dizzydg

New

Post by dizzydg » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Last edited by dizzydg on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

allentx

New

Post by allentx » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:46 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:Just confirmed your small section is your writing section. So for anyone wanting to get an idea of your finalized schedule, the .X after your section number (1, 2, 3, or 4) is your LRLW class for the semester. For example: 3.1 and 3.2 are section 3, small sections 1 and 2 and will have LRLW with Prof. Blinkova, whereas 3.3 and 3.4 will have theirs with Prof. Petrie.

Where are you seeing this .X? I don't have any number after my section.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:52 pm

allentx wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:Just confirmed your small section is your writing section. So for anyone wanting to get an idea of your finalized schedule, the .X after your section number (1, 2, 3, or 4) is your LRLW class for the semester. For example: 3.1 and 3.2 are section 3, small sections 1 and 2 and will have LRLW with Prof. Blinkova, whereas 3.3 and 3.4 will have theirs with Prof. Petrie.

Mine was in an email from my section "mentor". It was addressed to members of "Section X.X".

Now how do we find out A, B, or C to determine which prof we have?

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:57 pm

allentx wrote:

For our mentors, our sections use the .X designation (e.g. 3.1, 3.2, etc.). On the grid posted just above, it will be listed as 3(1), 3(2), etc. So the difference is just in the use of a period or parentheses.

Edit: I'm still trying to figure out the ABC sections, though I think the last one isn't a D. It's just C section meeting at two different times during the week (kind of like Section 3's Con Law class schedule). If I'm right, there's only 3 sections.

Also, I found out the faculty mentors for our societies correlates with your LRLW professor. And each section has 2 societies in it. So like Section 3 is Sutton and McCormick, and in that Prof. Blinkova is the mentor for Sutton and Prof. Petrie is the mentor for McCormick (info confirmed on the UT Law Society page). So that should help others that aren't in Section 3 figure out what their LRLW sections are!

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:33 am

BigZuck wrote:But really section 4 just inexplicably had more law review kids, etc. than other sections the past two years. No real reason for that though, I'm sure.
Ehhh, it's pretty evenly distributed, at least this year. I've heard someone from every section say their section has more people on law review or more people having 1LSAs, or has the most gunners.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:47 am

rnoodles22 wrote: Edit: I'm still trying to figure out the ABC sections, though I think the last one isn't a D. It's just C section meeting at two different times during the week (kind of like Section 3's Con Law class schedule). If I'm right, there's only 3 sections.
The ABC section is determined by your 5 hour course. So if Torts is Con Law is 5 hours, it's your small section class, and your section is split with three different professors. So you got it, basically.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:14 am

DJ JD wrote:
BigZuck wrote:But really section 4 just inexplicably had more law review kids, etc. than other sections the past two years. No real reason for that though, I'm sure.
Ehhh, it's pretty evenly distributed, at least this year. I've heard someone from every section say their section has more people on law review or more people having 1LSAs, or has the most gunners.
True, true

My year, I know of a small class of 24 students from section 4 that had at least 6 law review kids in it. That's the type of thing I was thinking of.

vsp12

New

Post by vsp12 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:59 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:Facebook post indicates that class schedules and book information will be released at a later date. Time to continue loading the UHaul...

Anyone have any theories as to why getting our schedules is taking so long?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:32 pm

First lesson of law school (that includes legal hiring): get used to waiting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”