Texas Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
76%
Most likely attending
12%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
No votes
Probably not attending
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
12%

Total votes: 33

DJ JD

Bronze

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Post by DJ JD » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:To all the current students viewing the thread: would you mind sharing what you did/are doing your 1L summer?
A decent-sized minority of the class works at big firms. Fair amount do judicial internships, some RA, some work in government like the Texas Attorney General's office, some work for public interest organizations.

It's pretty much the same as most other law schools, although there might be a higher percentage at firms than at most places just because a 1L SA is somewhat of a thing in TX.
Thanks! 1L SAs still pretty much determined by first-semester grades, right?
Zuck's right. If I were to count just the people I know, I can say between 10-15% of the class had 1LSAs, so accounting for the people I don't know, I'd "guestimate" closer to 20%, give or take. Then maybe 5% do midlaw SAs or in-house internships, which can still pay well. The rest do judicial internships (fed, state, local), DOJ/USAO internships, DA/PD offices, AG's office, public interest, small firms, and RA positions.

Although paid 1L work isn't the norm, I think I was a bit surprised by how many people actually got nice gigs. That being said, a lot more people would be able to get paid work if most of the people who got the less common second half 1LSAs weren't almost exclusively people who had first half clerkships.

And while good grades are necessary for 1LSA position, it's not determinative. Some people who just got law review were working for free this summer. Others who aren't grade-on material (cough *me* cough) have 1L gigs. Interview skills go a long way once you're past their GPA threshold. Important thing to remember is, 1st year work doesn't matter. Just get the grades, because those law review people will be much better off that me at OCI.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 pm

BVest wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:
DJ JD wrote:Idk if you're asking because you see multiple choice as a good thing, because it's terrible. Objectively speaking.
My typing speed is abysmal, so I have somewhat greater faith in my ability to perform on MC exams by default.
I'm faster at them, but LS MC exams are the worst.
True story

bigtex29

New

Post by bigtex29 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:
BVest wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:
DJ JD wrote:Idk if you're asking because you see multiple choice as a good thing, because it's terrible. Objectively speaking.
My typing speed is abysmal, so I have somewhat greater faith in my ability to perform on MC exams by default.
I'm faster at them, but LS MC exams are the worst.
True story
Rising 3L here. Every exam that has had a MC compenent I have made an A or higher on. I LOOOOOOOOVE MC law school tests.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Anyone know whether class schedules/sections are being released the 3rd? Seems like other schools are already getting assignments, and the UT pattern seems to be the first but that's a Saturday this year.

celvreal

New

Post by celvreal » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:14 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:Anyone know whether class schedules/sections are being released the 3rd? Seems like other schools are already getting assignments, and the UT pattern seems to be the first but that's a Saturday this year.
I sure hope so because I'd like to start establishing my schedule already! Btw, nice meeting some of y'all at Party on the Patio!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am

celvreal wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:Anyone know whether class schedules/sections are being released the 3rd? Seems like other schools are already getting assignments, and the UT pattern seems to be the first but that's a Saturday this year.
I sure hope so because I'd like to start establishing my schedule already! Btw, nice meeting some of y'all at Party on the Patio!
You and me both! And it was definitely great seeing some of y'all there too! I showed up a bit late, so I'm wondering if they mentioned anything there or if someone speak to anyone that would know?

allentx

New

Post by allentx » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:27 am

rnoodles22 wrote:
celvreal wrote:
You and me both! And it was definitely great seeing some of y'all there too! I showed up a bit late, so I'm wondering if they mentioned anything there or if someone speak to anyone that would know?
I spoke with someone in career services who asked for me and confirmed that we will be getting our sections on Monday.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:52 am

allentx wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:
celvreal wrote:
I spoke with someone in career services who asked for me and confirmed that we will be getting our sections on Monday.
Best news I've heard yet. Crazy to think by this time tomorrow it all gets just that much realer for us all.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:59 am

As a rising 2L I feel like it's my duty to keep tradition alive and say..

..there's still time to run.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vsp12

New

Post by vsp12 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:03 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:
allentx wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:
celvreal wrote:
Best news I've heard yet. Crazy to think by this time tomorrow it all gets just that much realer for us all.

Anyone heard anything else? Anxiety is taking over..

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:27 pm

vsp12 wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:
allentx wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:
celvreal wrote:

Anyone heard anything else? Anxiety is taking over..
Definitely risking sounding gunnerish here, but I gave in and looked back at some threads to see when the first posts mentioning schedules came up. Hope this helps some with anxiety and anyone in future classes wanting to make predictions!
C/O 2017: Confirmed Aug. 1st (Friday) at about 11:30 AM.
C/O 2016: Confirmed Aug. 2nd (Friday) at about 5:30 PM (after it was reported on FB that schedules would go out a few hours earlier).
C/O 2015: Confirmed Aug. 1st (Wednesday) at about 2:30 PM.
C/O 2014: Confirmed Aug. 5th (Friday) at about 7:30 PM.
C/O 2013: Confirmed Aug. 5th (Thursday) at about 11:20 AM (after it was reported that Monday on a message board by Dean Ingram that schedules would be released by the end of the week).
C/O 2012: Confirmed Aug. 3rd (Monday) at about 10:20 AM.
C/O 2011: Confirmed Aug. 4th (Monday) at about 4:00 PM.

All times are CST. It seems our schedules will likely be released late today, around 2011/2014 times. (Upperclassmen, feel free to come chime in if I'm wrong or missed anything!)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Guys don't be anxious about this

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:Guys don't be anxious about this
Unless you're worried about being in section 4. That's a totally legitimate concern.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:23 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Unless you're worried about being in section 4. That's a totally legitimate concern.
What is bad about section 4 (or did something just go way over my head)?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:12 pm

RancidSumo wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
What is bad about section 4 (or did something just go way over my head)?
If you're in section 4 then enjoy median pwnage because most everyone there will be a lot harder working and smarter than you

Sections 1-3 are filled with baby soft cupcakes. So really it's only a 1/4 chance of section pwnage, which are pretty decent odds IMO.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:14 pm

But really section 4 just inexplicably had more law review kids, etc. than other sections the past two years. No real reason for that though, I'm sure.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Officially calling it. See y'all here tomorrow for round 2.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:36 pm

SECTIONS UP NOW!!!

Section 3 - Reppin Sutton

Anyone else?

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Section3 as well! In case anyone else is wondering, it's listed on your FreshLaw page.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:42 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:Section3 as well! In case anyone else is wondering, it's listed on your FreshLaw page.
Awesome! If I'm not mistake does that mean we're taking CivPro, Con Law, and Torts then?

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Where is the info on section details? Also, what's the deal with being assigned to a "society"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:54 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:Section3 as well! In case anyone else is wondering, it's listed on your FreshLaw page.
Awesome! If I'm not mistake does that mean we're taking CivPro, Con Law, and Torts then?
From what I see on the Grid Torts is split by small groups (A,B,C,D)... but yes to CivPro and Con Law!

vsp12

New

Post by vsp12 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Section 2 here! --- Bradford society!

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:05 pm

So apparently knowing your section doesn't really do us any good regarding our schedules, since the only Grid I can find is from the Spring?

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:07 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:So apparently knowing your section doesn't really do us any good regarding our schedules, since the only Grid I can find is from the Spring?
I've been trying to look around, but even the directory is a bit confusing given the splitting of sections into smaller ones with different instructors. Maybe the bookstore will know if you call or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”