Texas Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
76%
Most likely attending
12%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
No votes
Probably not attending
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
12%

Total votes: 33

cannibal ox

Gold

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:00 pm

I looked it up, I sent it 5 hours before the deadline.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:10 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:Has anyone begun negotiating schollys yet?
When is the deadline?

I would wait until it's closer to that, unless you have all your other scholly duckies in a row
Yeah, I got one big ducky that I assume should put me over the edge, just don't wanna wait so long for the other duckies that the $$$ runs out.
Yeah I don't think the money running out is a real thing. Because they only give you one shot to negotiate, allegedly, they want to incentivize you submitting the request early, when they know your competing offers have not yet peaked.
That makes sense. I'm trying to turn a Darrow into Townes and Rice-level $$$ though, I imagine they're not gonna part w/ that easily. Who knows...

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:17 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:Noon Segway Club:
MtnGinger
ChemEng
bizzy

2PM Segway Club:
BrazilBandit
ellewoods
ITFR
Philippe
whosinthehouse

Should we all switch to the noon group?
I'm in for switching to the noon group, I'm not to concerned with visiting the campus other than the law school
Same here!
Just registered! Noon group!

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:58 pm

lilith66 wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:
MtnGinger
ChemEng
bizzy
ellewoods

2PM Segway Club:
BrazilBandit
ellewoods
ITFR
Philippe
whosinthehouse

I'm in for switching to the noon group, I'm not to concerned with visiting the campus other than the law school
Same here!
Just registered! Noon group!
Just switched to noon group

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:44 pm

just got my aid offer - anyone negotiated up with them? I seem to recall hearing that they are not too amenable to negotiating.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:39 pm

lokikoala wrote:just got my aid offer - anyone negotiated up with them? I seem to recall hearing that they are not too amenable to negotiating.
Scholarship negotiations were discussed on the previous page, but this is what the UT website says
The University of Texas School of Law offers a limited scholarship matching program for admitted students. Through this program, the scholarship committee will review merit scholarship offers exclusively from peer law schools upon request.

The committee will consider the out-of-pocket tuition and fees expense a student will incur after taking the respective scholarship offer(s) into consideration, and overall competitiveness of the admitted student. The scholarship committee reserves the right to decline to offer or increase our previous scholarship.

The scholarship committee will consider one matching scholarship request per admitted student. However, an admitted student may submit multiple offers at one time. Once the committee has made a decision, students will be notified in writing.

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:12 pm

ellewoods817 wrote:
lokikoala wrote:just got my aid offer - anyone negotiated up with them? I seem to recall hearing that they are not too amenable to negotiating.
Scholarship negotiations were discussed on the previous page, but this is what the UT website says
The University of Texas School of Law offers a limited scholarship matching program for admitted students. Through this program, the scholarship committee will review merit scholarship offers exclusively from peer law schools upon request.

The committee will consider the out-of-pocket tuition and fees expense a student will incur after taking the respective scholarship offer(s) into consideration, and overall competitiveness of the admitted student. The scholarship committee reserves the right to decline to offer or increase our previous scholarship.

The scholarship committee will consider one matching scholarship request per admitted student. However, an admitted student may submit multiple offers at one time. Once the committee has made a decision, students will be notified in writing.

Thanks!

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:33 pm

I just switched to the Noon Segway/3pm Law School Tour.

MtnGinger

Bronze

Post by MtnGinger » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Any idea how the financial aid sessions work. I signed up for one but are they helpful and what do we do? If it's just a general info thing then I'll probably just cancel

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:08 pm

lokikoala wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:

Thanks!
what schools are considered "peers?"

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:17 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:I just switched to the Noon Segway/3pm Law School Tour.
MtnGinger
ChemEng
bizzy
ellewoods

2PM Segway Club:
BrazilBandit
ellewoods
ITFR
Philippe
whosinthehouse

I'm going to put the segway groupings on the first post, hopefully we can keep track that way!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:26 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:I just switched to the Noon Segway/3pm Law School Tour.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Sorry, been a little busy recently with job gunning, and finals starting to come around, and "snow days." I will now respond to what I an.
ellewoods817 wrote:
Attax wrote:
Also, protip: skip the campus tour, just do the LS tour.
So it would probably be better to do the 12:00 segway tour and 3:00 law school tour, rather than going on the 4:30 law school + campus tour?
Yes, you can find what you need on campus yourself. The gyms you'll go to are all in the same area. Other than that, I know of few people who use the on campus libraries unless you're there super late. Basically, the places you'll need to know are:

Gyms - there are two you should be concerned with
Lifters: The Rec. It is often the least crowded, more-so in the mornings (maybe 4-5 people there). It can be accessed from the Number 7 bus and hopping off at San Jacinto and 2?th street (it is right in front of the stadium). Or, it is about a 5-10 minute walk from the law school. Last semester I was taking a class at one of the gyms and just left my stuff in my locker at the law school whenever I went.
Basketball, indoor runners (I'd recommend going outdoors because Austin is great), swimmers: Gregory. I really would not lift at Gregory. You get mostly undergrads trying to hook up, who have terrible form and don't understand the concept of switching out. The pools are great though! The outdoor lap pool is open year round, so if you are a swimmer it is available during the winter (and often empty!). The natatorium is also great, and I know of a lot of people who play basketball, racketball, and other sports such as that.

The only other place I'd really think of is the outdoor running track/lacrosse field. But all of these three are within about a 5 minute walk from one another and a quick look at a UT map will show them. I have attached a map at the bottom of this post that will highlight the important areas: the law school is indicated as such, the rec, running field, and gregory gym are circled in red. The pink circle is where you will get your ID made.

Everywhere else the tour will take you will be a waste of time unless you're truly just curious.
IsThisForReal wrote:
idissent wrote:Just checked my calendar, and I'll be at the Duke ASW during the Texas ASW, but hope you guys have great segway tours! And, if anyone is sticking around Austin through the weekend and wants go grab drinks or something, I'd be down!
I'll be there through Sunday.

Don't worry Attax, I only plan on stealing your couch for Wednesday and Thursday night. Thanks again.
No worries! I have a new puppy, so I hope that is alright. He is sweet, but may cry a little at night. Usually doesn't though.
MtnGinger wrote:Any idea how the financial aid sessions work. I signed up for one but are they helpful and what do we do? If it's just a general info thing then I'll probably just cancel
They're mostly helpful if you have specific questions. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:26 pm

Attax wrote:Sorry, been a little busy recently with job gunning, and finals starting to come around, and "snow days." I will now respond to what I an.
lolwut

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Attax wrote:I have a new puppy
Oh man, I'm so excited!

Thanks for putting all of this together!!!
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Attax wrote:Sorry, been a little busy recently with job gunning, and finals starting to come around, and "snow days." I will now respond to what I an.
lolwut
The brief. I'm hoping to have it mostly done by spring break so I can have a little more time to outline this semester than I did last starting after spring break. I figure the best way to maintain how I did is to keep doing what worked, but to do a bit better maybe start a little earlier.

yes, yes, #gunner

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Attax wrote:I have a new puppy
Oh man, I'm so excited!

Thanks for putting all of this together!!!
No problem!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:02 pm

ellewoods817 wrote:
Attax wrote:
Also, protip: skip the campus tour, just do the LS tour.
So it would probably be better to do the 12:00 segway tour and 3:00 law school tour, rather than going on the 4:30 law school + campus tour?
Yes, you can find what you need on campus yourself. The gyms you'll go to are all in the same area. Other than that, I know of few people who use the on campus libraries unless you're there super late. Basically, the places you'll need to know are:

Everywhere else the tour will take you will be a waste of time unless you're truly just curious.

They're mostly helpful if you have specific questions. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.
ellewoods817 wrote:
Attax wrote: Come, see if you can get out of tests/exams. Many profs expect that senior year, so they may allow you to do it. I'd really recommend it, as ASW is pretty fun and a good way to see some of the school. I'll also let you all know where bar review is that Thursday so that you can attend (if you're 21+).
Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely do my best to reschedule and make it on Thursday!
Thank you for all of the advice Attax! I ended up moving my test and presentation, so I'll definitely be at ASD! :D

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:06 pm

Just got the email about ASD, it says "Financial aid advising appointments, which we strongly recommend this year". Kinda tempted to email back and ask if I'm really gonna gain anything in 15 minutes that I don't already know.

Also really frustrated that UT refuses to give me a travel stipend and all the schools I'm forgoing visiting that weekend have offered me one.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:38 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:Just got the email about ASD, it says "Financial aid advising appointments, which we strongly recommend this year". Kinda tempted to email back and ask if I'm really gonna gain anything in 15 minutes that I don't already know.

Also really frustrated that UT refuses to give me a travel stipend and all the schools I'm forgoing visiting that weekend have offered me one.
Was wondering this too - is it recommended because finances are important for all law students or recommended because it might end up helping our negotiation efforts...so, if you do ask, please share :)

ETA: Attax, did you attend this fin aid advising appointment? what were you thoughts?
Last edited by lawschool1741 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:38 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:Just got the email about ASD, it says "Financial aid advising appointments, which we strongly recommend this year". Kinda tempted to email back and ask if I'm really gonna gain anything in 15 minutes that I don't already know.

How'd you request the stipend? I wanna ask for one too...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:05 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:

Emailed Admissions:

Dear Admissions Office,

I am still very excited about my acceptance to Texas Law and really want to attend your Admitted Students Days. Coming from -------, this will be an expensive trip and I was wondering if you offer any travel stipends for prospective students?

Received:

Dear Ms. -------,

Thank you for your email, and congratulations on your offer of admission! Select admitted students will be notified of travel scholarships if they are chosen to receive one; if you have not yet received an offer, you unfortunately did not qualify for this scholarship. If you have any additional questions, however, please let us know and we would be happy to assist you.

Best,

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:05 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:

Emailed Admissions:

Dear Admissions Office,

I am still very excited about my acceptance to Texas Law and really want to attend your Admitted Students Days. Coming from -------, this will be an expensive trip and I was wondering if you offer any travel stipends for prospective students?

Received:

Dear Ms. -------,

Thank you for your email, and congratulations on your offer of admission! Select admitted students will be notified of travel scholarships if they are chosen to receive one; if you have not yet received an offer, you unfortunately did not qualify for this scholarship. If you have any additional questions, however, please let us know and we would be happy to assist you.

Best,
Lame.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:26 pm

The fin aid things are p lame/useless, I imagine/have heard. You found tls; don't waste your visit time w/ this crap

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:55 pm

If the financial aid sessions are anything like the guest speaker they put on for 1Ls, then avoid at all costs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”