Northwestern Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Expected loan debt at graduation?

$0
15%
Under $50k
7%
$50k - $75k
12%
$75k - $100k
12%
$100k - $125k
10%
$125k - $150k
15%
$150k - $175k
10%
$175k - $200k
No votes
$200k - $225k
12%
$225k - $250k+
7%

Total votes: 41

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Class of 2018

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:f you're out of college (because I am, like, for awhile now) and of course admissions has your official/complete transcripts from your applications, do we still need to send these in, again? There's an unclear section about this at the end of the pre-matriculation guide....
The admissions office is always willing to answer these questions, but I THINK the answer to your question is yes. Because I don't think the school does have a copy of your official transcripts from LSAC; I think they have LSAC's distilled version in the academic report.

right after posting it dawned on me that yes, transcripts went to LSAC before so would make sense the school needs official copies as well. Thanks!

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:07 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Has anyone already submitted the AHR form? The pre-matriculation guide says you can either go to a doctor to have them fill it out, or you can submit proof of your immunizations, but the form doesn't say anything about how to submit some other sort of proof, it just says to have a doctor fill it out...any insight? Also the form says its due July 1st, but the guide says July 15th...

im sure you (and others as well) also noticed this, but the link to the "Health Services Website" on p. 7 of the pre-matriculation guide navigates to a form for those enrolling in healthcare graduate programs, there looks to be a different form for law and non-HC grad programs which I found on the same website. The form also says the deadline is July 1 although the pre-matriculation guide states July 15....

mike241

New

Post by mike241 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Is anyone familiar with BJB Properties? Any thoughts on them? I'm looking at some of their studios in the Gold Coast area

Also, it seems that McClurg, Axis, Seneca are the most popular among law students choosing to live right next to school. Is that right?

Thanks!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:41 pm

mike241 wrote:Is anyone familiar with BJB Properties? Any thoughts on them? I'm looking at some of their studios in the Gold Coast area

Also, it seems that McClurg, Axis, Seneca are the most popular among law students choosing to live right next to school. Is that right?

Thanks!
I was looking at some of their properties as well, and had a very difficult time getting in touch with them (but someone eventually emailed me, after weeks of trying to contact them). I also saw some really terrible reviews on them when I googled the company and their properties, and the person I spoke to from StudentSpace said they refuse to work with them because they are not good landlords, so I decided not to pursue any of their listings. I don't know how much of all of this is actually true, but I figured its better safe than sorry.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:16 pm

+1 to the above on all counts, fwiw

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Whats everyone planning to do with the rest of the summer? Any interesting travels? Just relaxing? Still working?

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:25 am

Response to hearsay77 - Unfortunately working (but not with a ton of passion or care!) until beginning of August, need the $$$$$$$

Tangent - Kinky John has the best profile pics ever, especially the current one.

Tangent 2- you all thinking Aetna student health insurance the best bet? I am actively exploring options and also trying to get the right info for the Aetna plan because I am becoming increasingly convinced the pre-matriculation guide student health section is full if incorrect information...for instance, this : Aetna pays the entire cost of covered expenses—up to $500,000—after you’ve met your $1,250 annual out-of- pocket maximum. The online website as well as a PPT I found states the out of pocket is $1300, but what's really nuts is the 500k claim...that is an absurdly low maximum coverage, before Affordable Care Act it was typically 2 million and now it's unlimited for anything in compliance with ACA, which NU again on their websites states this plan is. I think this has to be an error and am looking into it.... (I knew nothing about any of this stuff until the past few days, really exciting)

Tangent 3 - anyone signing up (applying?) or planning to for one of the 2 "bootcamp" programs. I feel like for me this is a situation where right now it sounds great, but once I'm enjoying my last few stress-free weeks of freedom in probably the best month of the year in Chicago I'll be wondering WTF was I thinking....

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 am

I'm flattered :mrgreen:

As for the bootcamp, based on what I've heard students say, your time is better spent relaxing - but if you feel like it will really help you, go for it.

I'll be trying new restaurants/exploring the city

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Kinky John wrote:As for the bootcamp, based on what I've heard students say, your time is better spent relaxing - but if you feel like it will really help you, go for it.
I've heard the same about the bootcamp. As for the health insurance, I've been looking in to it too, and since NU only accepts Gold or Platinum plans from the Obamacare marketplace, I personally think I'm going to go with Aetna. Going through the marketplace and getting a gold or platinum plan might save $200-$400/year, but I figure that much is worth having the convenience of the campus health facilities being (mostly) free and such.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holly45

New

Post by holly45 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:00 pm

I lived at axis my 1L year after touring the seneca, mcclurg and some other nearby buildings, there are plenty of pros (closest to campus, relatively affordable) and cons (slow elevators, thin walls) of axis. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about axis or housing!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:26 am

A very helpful 2L gave me some great information that I've added to the OP: the 1L sections & class schedules! This doesn't actually tell us what section we're in, but it gives a really good idea of what kind of schedule and classes we'll have this fall. Take a look!

I also added a bunch more links and important dates to the OP (and about to add a new poll). Looks like the orientation site is finally updated, and our orientation schedule is posted as well (also in the OP).

I'm getting more and more excited for August!

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 am

Hey class of 2018! I am looking to fill a couple of bedrooms in my apartment for next year, and would love to help out some fellow law students. We have a four-bedroom apartment in the heart of beautiful Lincoln Park -- about a 45 second walk from the Armitage brown line stop--and we are losing two roommates next year to graduations and career changes. I'd say there's not a nicer or safer neighborhood in Chicago, and unlike Streeterville there is actually stuff to do there in terms of non-chain, non-tourist trap bars, restaurants, and shopping. The commute to school is about 30 minutes on the L, and if you're in a real rush about 11 minutes by cab.

Rent will be somewhere between 800 and 900 dollars (our landlord hasn't told us next year's price yet), and utilities run about 50-70 a month depending on how cold it gets in the winter. The apartment is great, with in-unit free laundry and tons of common space. Move-in would be sometime in late August, and we would be pretty flexible about when.

pm or email me if you're interested. g - s c h o n f e l d 2 0 1 6 AT n l a w . n o r t h w e s t e r n . e d u

mickey_mouse

Bronze

Post by mickey_mouse » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:55 pm

For those who were accepted off the waitlist around June 20...have you heard anything from admissions? I sent in the req'd $750 deposit and called the office to make sure they received it, but nothing besides that-- everyone else in the same boat?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:30 pm

UGH did tuition really rise to 58k+ ? That's over a 3% increase from the 2014-14 figure I saw.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... d/tuition/

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:54 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:UGH did tuition really rise to 58k+ ? That's over a 3% increase from the 2014-14 figure I saw.

I for one am excited about all the RIGOR that extra tuition is going to buy me

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Kinky John wrote:
WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:UGH did tuition really rise to 58k+ ? That's over a 3% increase from the 2014-14 figure I saw.

I for one am excited about all the RIGOR that extra tuition is going to buy me
:cry: :cry: :cry:

nemrac11

New

Post by nemrac11 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:23 pm

It may be time for me to send an email asking for some more $$$

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:47 am

Just signed my lease! 12 min. walk to school (gold coast) -- gonna need a coat.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:15 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just signed my lease! 12 min. walk to school (gold coast) -- gonna need a coat.
Congrats on this and congrats on the other stuff :wink:

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Just signed my lease! 12 min. walk to school (gold coast) -- gonna need a coat.
We are going to be very close neighbors - your comment applies verbatim to me. I guess you busted out after all, given we won't be anywhere near Florida Coastal...

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:
We are going to be very close neighbors - your comment applies verbatim to me. I guess you busted out after all, given we won't be anywhere near Florida Coastal...
Lol I guess I did bust. I'll be on Delaware Place just north of the Chicago-Red.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

plaidisrad

New

Post by plaidisrad » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Hey all, looking for a 1br at kind of the last minute; unfortunately, I'm not in Chicago at the moment and don't know it well. Probably don't want to be in Streeterville - would rather live in a homier-feeling neighborhood, which, from what I gather, Streeterville isn't. Coming from a major metro area, accustomed to the cold, gonna walk or use public transit. Anyone have insight or tips from their own searches? Feel free to PM!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:46 pm

plaidisrad wrote:Hey all, looking for a 1br at kind of the last minute; unfortunately, I'm not in Chicago at the moment and don't know it well. Probably don't want to be in Streeterville - would rather live in a homier-feeling neighborhood, which, from what I gather, Streeterville isn't. Coming from a major metro area, accustomed to the cold, gonna walk or use public transit. Anyone have insight or tips from their own searches? Feel free to PM!
The school recommends student space

plaidisrad

New

Post by plaidisrad » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Kinky John wrote:
plaidisrad wrote:Hey all, looking for a 1br at kind of the last minute; unfortunately, I'm not in Chicago at the moment and don't know it well. Probably don't want to be in Streeterville - would rather live in a homier-feeling neighborhood, which, from what I gather, Streeterville isn't. Coming from a major metro area, accustomed to the cold, gonna walk or use public transit. Anyone have insight or tips from their own searches? Feel free to PM!
Ah, thanks! I should have mentioned that I've been in touch with StudentSpace; just trying to cast as wide a net as possible.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:03 pm

plaidisrad wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
Ah, thanks! I should have mentioned that I've been in touch with StudentSpace; just trying to cast as wide a net as possible.
I didn't have much luck with Student Space. I spent the past two-ish months looking at places and finally signed a lease last week as well. I'd suggest looking at all the listing websites - domu, apartments.com, forrent.com, padmapper, craigslist, etc. The specific area to look in would depend on your budget and how far you're willing to commute, but I searched mostly in the neighborhoods north of the law school. Feel free to PM me if you want more info or specifics!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”