Northwestern Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Expected loan debt at graduation?

$0
15%
Under $50k
7%
$50k - $75k
12%
$75k - $100k
12%
$100k - $125k
10%
$125k - $150k
15%
$150k - $175k
10%
$175k - $200k
No votes
$200k - $225k
12%
$225k - $250k+
7%

Total votes: 41

hearsay77

Silver

Re: Northwestern Class of 2018

Post by hearsay77 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm moving in two weeks. We should plan a meet up sometime before orientation!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:33 pm

hearsay77 wrote:I'm moving in two weeks. We should plan a meet up sometime before orientation!
Definitely

R1chardParker

New

Post by R1chardParker » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Last edited by R1chardParker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mragsdale

New

Post by mragsdale » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:04 pm

Hey all, I'm looking for an apartment (really) late. I'm in L.A. until the first week of August and then will be able to visit Chi and house search, if necessary.

I REALLY don't want to spend more than 750/month on rent. I found some studios and shared houses near U of C law that are between 400 and 700... but is it going to be a problem for me to live 50 min away from the school? I'm only going to be using PT.

Any suggestions will be helpful!! Or if you're still looking for a roommate and have a place, let me know.

nemrac11

New

Post by nemrac11 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:06 pm

mragsdale wrote:Hey all, I'm looking for an apartment (really) late. I'm in L.A. until the first week of August and then will be able to visit Chi and house search, if necessary.

I REALLY don't want to spend more than 750/month on rent. I found some studios and shared houses near U of C law that are between 400 and 700... but is it going to be a problem for me to live 50 min away from the school? I'm only going to be using PT.

Any suggestions will be helpful!! Or if you're still looking for a roommate and have a place, let me know.
I wouldn't recommend living in Hyde Park. If you want to stay under $750 I would recommend looking in the northern neighborhoods (Lakeview, Andersonville, etc.). The issue with Hyde Park is there really isn't much there, you can get more of a neighborhood feel and better social scene living in Lakeview for under $750.

Edit: Didn't realize your SO is going to be at UChicago. I would then look for something south of the law school but north of Hyde Park
Last edited by nemrac11 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:32 pm

mragsdale wrote:Hey all, I'm looking for an apartment (really) late. I'm in L.A. until the first week of August and then will be able to visit Chi and house search, if necessary.

You mentioned an SO going to U Chicago, why not South Loop?

mragsdale

New

Post by mragsdale » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:21 pm

Kinky John wrote:

You mentioned an SO going to U Chicago, why not South Loop?
I'm searching in South Loop now! Thanks for the suggestion.

nemrac11

New

Post by nemrac11 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:50 am

Looks like they put us on the law school listserv. I was slightly confused when I got the email about OCI

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:52 am

nemrac11 wrote:Looks like they put us on the law school listserv. I was slightly confused when I got the email about OCI
Welcome to 3+ years of emails that don't apply to you!

(I'm still getting the OCI emails as a graduate, because I'm too lazy to filter. But I did FINALLY unsubscribe from all my student group lists.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Searched a bit for the answer, but anyone know what the turnaround is for our aid refunds? I wouldn't mind getting that $.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:33 pm

czpczp wrote:Searched a bit for the answer, but anyone know what the turnaround is for our aid refunds? I wouldn't mind getting that $.
What is an aid refund? You mean when are loans disbursed? Right around the first day of class (I think like the friday before class starts).

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:11 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
czpczp wrote:Searched a bit for the answer, but anyone know what the turnaround is for our aid refunds? I wouldn't mind getting that $.
What is an aid refund? You mean when are loans disbursed? Right around the first day of class (I think like the friday before class starts).

I meant 'aid refund' as in the cash we get back if our aid is higher than our tuition charges. I was guessing the loans would disburse around that time, but I wasn't sure when we would get the money via direct deposit.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:15 am

czpczp wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I meant 'aid refund' as in the cash we get back if our aid is higher than our tuition charges. I was guessing the loans would disburse around that time, but I wasn't sure when we would get the money via direct deposit.
Ah, sorry. I think it takes a couple of days for the DD to process after you request the refund.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:48 am

lol if you have Dodier for CLR. Enjoy Graceland.

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:53 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
czpczp wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Ah, sorry. I think it takes a couple of days for the DD to process after you request the refund.

No worries, thanks for the info!

Oh wait, do we have to request it? Is it not automatically deposited?
Foghornleghorn wrote:lol if you have Dodier for CLR. Enjoy Graceland.
What??

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:04 am

czpczp wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
czpczp wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

What??
It's automatically deposited in your account with the school (on CAESAR), but unless they changed something, you have to set up a direct deposit account and request that the excess funds be transferred to your bank.

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:14 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
czpczp wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
czpczp wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

What??
It's automatically deposited in your account with the school (on CAESAR), but unless they changed something, you have to set up a direct deposit account and request that the excess funds be transferred to your bank.

Ah sweet, yeah my previous university was setup to where you didn't have to request it at all, it was just deposited as soon as the balance was posted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:05 pm

Set up direct deposit in CAESAR. The excess funds will be disbursed, if I correctly recall my convo w/ the fin aid office, when the loans for everyone are disbursed and will appear in the bank account you linked in CAESAR. Just call for an exact date.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:29 am

Anyone interested in a meet up some time before orientation? Next week or the week after, perhaps?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:41 am

Had Lou Malnati's in Gold Coast yesterday -- damn, it was good.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:32 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Anyone interested in a meet up some time before orientation? Next week or the week after, perhaps?
Just moved in today, I'm down! Also would be up for getting a group to grab lunch or something this Friday if anyone is interested

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:00 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Had Lou Malnati's in Gold Coast yesterday -- damn, it was good.
that's the one on state/rush, right? I went there last week - good, but definitely overrated

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:Anyone interested in a meet up some time before orientation? Next week or the week after, perhaps?
Just moved in today, I'm down! Also would be up for getting a group to grab lunch or something this Friday if anyone is interested
I'm moving in tomorrow! Yea Friday works for me.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:38 am

hearsay77 wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:
I'm moving in tomorrow! Yea Friday works for me.
Awesome, I'll send out some ideas for where we could all meet later this week. Good luck moving in!

MennetoC

New

Post by MennetoC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi all! I will be moving in the Sunday before orientation, but I haven't had any luck getting a friend to help me move-in. My girlfriend and son won't be getting to Chicago until Tuesday, so I will be on my own. I could really use some help, if anyone has some free time. I can offer beer and pizza as compensation!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”