Northwestern Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Expected loan debt at graduation?

$0
15%
Under $50k
7%
$50k - $75k
12%
$75k - $100k
12%
$100k - $125k
10%
$125k - $150k
15%
$150k - $175k
10%
$175k - $200k
No votes
$200k - $225k
12%
$225k - $250k+
7%

Total votes: 41

ILoveYou

Silver

Re: Northwestern Class of 2018

Post by ILoveYou » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:30 pm

suppy183 wrote:Around $1400 hopefully. I'm starting to heavily consider not living in Steeterville, and maybe either doing Ukrainian Village or anywhere close to the red line up to Irving Park. How many of you are looking mainly at Steetetville vs other neighborhoods? I don't want to be the only commuter student.
I'll be right there with you commuting. I'm not looking at anything in Streeterville, right now primarily looking uptown. Considering a few places in the Buena Park area.

suppy183

New

Post by suppy183 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:54 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
suppy183 wrote:Around $1400 hopefully. I'm starting to heavily consider not living in Steeterville, and maybe either doing Ukrainian Village or anywhere close to the red line up to Irving Park. How many of you are looking mainly at Steetetville vs other neighborhoods? I don't want to be the only commuter student.
I'll be right there with you commuting. I'm not looking at anything in Streeterville, right now primarily looking uptown. Considering a few places in the Buena Park area.
Buena Park is a good area if you don't mind the commute. Cheaper than a lot of other neighborhoods but safer/less run down than the rest of Uptown (which isn't that bad, but my wife did witness someone bleeding out in the street after being shot in the head around Sheridan and Lawrence last year, and she still has a little bit of PTSD from it).

BetterThanCraigslist

New

Post by BetterThanCraigslist » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 am

0L's -- we're looking for a person to take a spare room in our apartment. You'd be living with other law school guys. 875/mo plus utilities. We'll throw in outlines, supplements and free advice. PM and we'll talk!

ETA: apartment is in Lakeview right off of the Belmont stop.

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Recently came into some scholarship $$ off a waitlist for an equivalent school, but NU is still where I want to be at.

Those of who you have successfully negotiated, whether pre or post deadline - any advice on email or phone call? I see pros/cons to both. Either way NU Law will be hearing from me soon.

AnyoneLived

New

Post by AnyoneLived » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:22 am

Any news on the stipends? I still haven't gotten mine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nemrac11

New

Post by nemrac11 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:28 am

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:Recently came into some scholarship $$ off a waitlist for an equivalent school, but NU is still where I want to be at.

Those of who you have successfully negotiated, whether pre or post deadline - any advice on email or phone call? I see pros/cons to both. Either way NU Law will be hearing from me soon.
I don't think it'll really matter. I'm pretty sure if you email or call them they will ask you to fill out the reconsideration form which includes another essay (Why Northwestern over xxxxx school if scholarships were equal).

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:44 am

AnyoneLived wrote:Any news on the stipends? I still haven't gotten mine.
got mine about 2 weeks ago - call and ask perhaps

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:05 am

Finally added a new poll! Its a little limited because there are so many damn neighborhoods but TLS polls are apparently a maximum of 10 options.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:44 am

Found a place right near loyola's law school. Can't wait to move in

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:39 pm

I got a good scholarship but would have only around $600 in extra cash/month without loans after rent, health insurance, etc. Really wanted to do school w/o loans but shit, an extra 10k/yr would go a long way.

Anyone not takin out loans?

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:12 pm

suppy183 wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:
Buena Park is a good area if you don't mind the commute. Cheaper than a lot of other neighborhoods but safer/less run down than the rest of Uptown (which isn't that bad, but my wife did witness someone bleeding out in the street after being shot in the head around Sheridan and Lawrence last year, and she still has a little bit of PTSD from it).
I live in that area now. Fairly regular gun shots and gang issues. You'd think since they have a Target, it would be safe. I haven't found it to be, and I often don't feel safe walking to Jewel by myself (I'm a girl). I wouldn't move more north than montrose. Closer to irving park the better.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:26 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I got a good scholarship but would have only around $600 in extra cash/month without loans after rent, health insurance, etc. Really wanted to do school w/o loans but shit, an extra 10k/yr would go a long way.

Anyone not takin out loans?
If you're cutting it that close, take out some minimal level of loans. Better to have the financial flexibility. You don't know what your summer funding situation will be, or whether you'll need to fly yourself to interviews, or buy a new suit on short notice because you ruined one.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Finally found an apartment as well, but doing calculations over and over again is stressing me out so much. Moving expenses, deposits, rent, health insurance, etc is really adding up, I feel like I'm going to really struggle to stay within the loan budget. Damn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:53 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Finally found an apartment as well, but doing calculations over and over again is stressing me out so much. Moving expenses, deposits, rent, health insurance, etc is really adding up, I feel like I'm going to really struggle to stay within the loan budget. Damn.
you can say that again...

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:48 am

Kinky John wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:Finally found an apartment as well, but doing calculations over and over again is stressing me out so much. Moving expenses, deposits, rent, health insurance, etc is really adding up, I feel like I'm going to really struggle to stay within the loan budget. Damn.
Is it just me or does NU's room & board budget seem particularly low? All the other schools I was comparing it to before making my decision had significantly higher budgets relative to the city's COL. I guess its good that we're forced to limit the loans a little, but also for students that are living only off of loans (no savings/stipends/family assistance), not having enough money for food would be a legit problem.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:08 am

I forget - we don't get our section assignments until the week before the Aug. 24 daycare orientation, right?

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:34 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I forget - we don't get our section assignments until the week before the Aug. 24 daycare orientation, right?
Correct

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Has anyone already submitted the AHR form? The pre-matriculation guide says you can either go to a doctor to have them fill it out, or you can submit proof of your immunizations, but the form doesn't say anything about how to submit some other sort of proof, it just says to have a doctor fill it out...any insight? Also the form says its due July 1st, but the guide says July 15th...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:09 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Has anyone already submitted the AHR form? The pre-matriculation guide says you can either go to a doctor to have them fill it out, or you can submit proof of your immunizations, but the form doesn't say anything about how to submit some other sort of proof, it just says to have a doctor fill it out...any insight? Also the form says its due July 1st, but the guide says July 15th...
Some doctor's offices might have their own form.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:Has anyone already submitted the AHR form? The pre-matriculation guide says you can either go to a doctor to have them fill it out, or you can submit proof of your immunizations, but the form doesn't say anything about how to submit some other sort of proof, it just says to have a doctor fill it out...any insight? Also the form says its due July 1st, but the guide says July 15th...
So would it be okay for me to submit my immunization record (from many, many years ago, but filled out and signed by a doctor) instead of the form? I should probably just call and ask lol.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:19 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
So would it be okay for me to submit my immunization record (from many, many years ago, but filled out and signed by a doctor) instead of the form? I should probably just call and ask lol.
If it's from many, many years ago, does it have the shots you're supposed to have gotten as a teenager/adult?

I don't think you want to submit your only copy of an original document. Just call your doctor's office and say you need proof of immunization.

This really is not all that difficult. Just wait until you're applying to take the bar exam!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
If it's from many, many years ago, does it have the shots you're supposed to have gotten as a teenager/adult?

I don't think you want to submit your only copy of an original document. Just call your doctor's office and say you need proof of immunization.

This really is not all that difficult. Just wait until you're applying to take the bar exam!
I know it shouldn't be difficult, but when you've moved countries twice, and moved cities 4 times in the past 2 years and therefore changed doctors countless times it makes it a bit more complicated lol. Thanks though, I'll figure something out!

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:56 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
Is it just me or does NU's room & board budget seem particularly low? All the other schools I was comparing it to before making my decision had significantly higher budgets relative to the city's COL. I guess its good that we're forced to limit the loans a little, but also for students that are living only off of loans (no savings/stipends/family assistance), not having enough money for food would be a legit problem.
It is definitely not low compared to real life costs. I live on far less than the $25K that is estimated for the 9-month period that school is in session and probably under that amount for the entire calendar year (I would have to check to be sure). I live in LP but almost never cook and live a pretty decent life.

Our living expenses are also about the same as UChicago. I understand why you would think the estimate would be low if you are used to NYC's, SF's, or some other similar place's COL. But Chicago is actually just cheap like this and you should have no problem staying within budget unless you live like someone who has the salary or an employed professional and who has the free time of a student.

http://chicagofinancialaid.northwestern ... html#JD115
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... aid/budget

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Bronze

Post by WhatCouldHaveBeen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:24 pm

f you're out of college (because I am, like, for awhile now) and of course admissions has your official/complete transcripts from your applications, do we still need to send these in, again? There's an unclear section about this at the end of the pre-matriculation guide....

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:f you're out of college (because I am, like, for awhile now) and of course admissions has your official/complete transcripts from your applications, do we still need to send these in, again? There's an unclear section about this at the end of the pre-matriculation guide....
The admissions office is always willing to answer these questions, but I THINK the answer to your question is yes. Because I don't think the school does have a copy of your official transcripts from LSAC; I think they have LSAC's distilled version in the academic report.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”