Cornell Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
radio1nowhere

Bronze

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Post by radio1nowhere » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Not sure how appropriate it is to post here before admittance; please humor me, Cornellians! I applied in December and just got an email requesting an interview (can be done online, thankfully). I'm wondering how many of you interviewed before being accepted. Should I view the interview as a positive development? 3.9/178, was hoping for quick acceptance.
Last edited by radio1nowhere on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Not sure how appropriate it is to post here before admittance; please humor me, Cornellians! I applied in December and just got an email requesting an interview (can be done online, thankfully). I'm wondered how many of you interviewed before being accepted. Should I view this as a positive development? 3.9/178, was hoping for quick acceptance.
They're likely gauging your interest to see if you really want to attend Cornell. Your numbers (HYS worthy; congrats!) suggest that you would probably not attend if accepted. USNews calculates 'selectivity' into their rankings formula, and accepting every person with HYS numbers (whereby most will likely not attend) would lead to a plummet in an already 'eh' selectivity score for a T-14 school (many people are wary of upstate NY). This is also known as "yield protect" or YP, and many schools do it.

Kill your interview and you'll likely be in with big, big money.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:06 am

radio1nowhere wrote:Not sure how appropriate it is to post here before admittance; please humor me, Cornellians! I applied in December and just got an email requesting an interview (can be done online, thankfully). I'm wondering how many of you interviewed before being accepted. Should I view the interview as a positive development?
With your numbers, as long as you have a reasonable answer to Why Cornell you should be in with $$$ (Charles Evans Hughes, which is full tuition, comes with the acceptance; everything else is done later). Might have missed something, but I'm not aware of anyone who's interviewed so far and not gotten in. Also not aware of anyone who hasn't found the LikeLive thing incredibly awkward--the average performance seems to be bombing it, so don't be worried about that.

TheatreofDreams1

New

Post by TheatreofDreams1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:25 am

Hello everyone, delighted to join the Cornell Class of 2018!

I recently received an invitation to attend a Cornell Public Service Award nomination ceremony in NYC. Is anyone else attending this? I received the invite and would like to go, but it doesn't seem to be geared towards 0Ls. I don't think I want to be the 0L that's asking a bunch of questions while others are trying to enjoy a moment.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Checking in :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:45 pm

I was looking at the housing application and I see there are a few other buildings for graduate students like Maplewood, Hasbrouck, and Thurston Court. Are 1Ls only allowed to live in Hughes, or are these buildings available as well?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:50 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:I was looking at the housing application and I see there are a few other buildings for graduate students like Maplewood, Hasbrouck, and Thurston Court. Are 1Ls only allowed to live in Hughes, or are these buildings available as well?
Those buildings are available, but only a handful of law students choose to live there.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Lavitz wrote:
supersplittysplitter wrote:I was looking at the housing application and I see there are a few other buildings for graduate students like Maplewood, Hasbrouck, and Thurston Court. Are 1Ls only allowed to live in Hughes, or are these buildings available as well?
Those buildings are available, but only a handful of law students choose to live there.

ok that makes sense, they seem more geared towards students who are married/ have families. Still I am very impressed with Cornell's housing offerings, especially compared to other law schools.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:06 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

ok that makes sense, they seem more geared towards students who are married/ have families. Still I am very impressed with Cornell's housing offerings, especially compared to other law schools.
Habrouck is the one that I know is geared toward families. It's also very far away, on North Campus. Maplewood is ok for single folks, and I know three 2Ls who live there, but it's still a long walk from the law school. I think most people rationalize that if they're going to live further out, they might as well get their own place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:58 am

Lavitz wrote:
supersplittysplitter wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Habrouck is the one that I know is geared toward families. It's also very far away, on North Campus. Maplewood is ok for single folks, and I know three 2Ls who live there, but it's still a long walk from the law school. I think most people rationalize that if they're going to live further out, they might as well get their own place.
Google maps says it's a 26 minute walk from Hasbrouck Circle to the Law School. For Maplewood Park it says it's a 19 minute walk. But those are both for walking the way that's slightly uphill, going the other way it's a few minutes less of a walk.

Maplewood is also for families and people with a SO just like Hasbrouck but it says you can't have more than one child, Hasbrouck you can have more than one child so it's definitely better for people with bigger families or people who might expand their family. I just looked at the Maplewood one bedrooms and the one bedrooms plus study they both cost $1,050 a month. I might be wrong but I feel like that is kind of expensive for Ithaca especially since they don't allow cats, dogs, or rabbits.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Just wondering - what carrier does the letter/admissions stuff come by, if anyone ITT knows please share with me! I have an issue of missing mail and I'm trying to figure out why...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:31 pm

lc39 wrote:Just wondering - what carrier does the letter/admissions stuff come by, if anyone ITT knows please share with me! I have an issue of missing mail and I'm trying to figure out why...
cornell's nice little book showed up with the regular mail (USPS)

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:40 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
lc39 wrote:Just wondering - what carrier does the letter/admissions stuff come by, if anyone ITT knows please share with me! I have an issue of missing mail and I'm trying to figure out why...
cornell's nice little book showed up with the regular mail (USPS)
Ok, thank you. Based on some other responses, I definitely have a USPS issue then. Urrghh now to figure out why exactly mail is failing to get to me...USPS delivered my stuff right up until Christmas and since then have been like lol, nope let's send it back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am

Hi folks! Am I reading Cornell's financial aid/scholarship policy incorrectly or do they really require 2014 tax returns for both you and your parents before March 1st in order to be considered??

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:10 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:Hi folks! Am I reading Cornell's financial aid/scholarship policy incorrectly or do they really require 2014 tax returns for both you and your parents before March 1st in order to be considered??
Should be March 16th, but yes. But parents are only required for need-based aid, which probably doesn't add much, if that's a problem for you. In any case, they need yours for you to be eligible for federal loans. If you're just not done with taxes yet, I think you can send in 2013 and update with 2014 later, but you should probably ask finaid first.

whereselizabeth

New

Post by whereselizabeth » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:21 pm

checking in, yay!

maybe they were entertained by my awful interview :D

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Checking in! Considering the quick moves from interview to admission and the amount of admits who acknowledge bad interviews, I'm getting the feeling that the interview is more of an attempt to screen out the applicants who never had that much real interest in Cornell (and have probably gotten into other schools in the meantime) than it is an important piece of the overall application.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Checking in! Considering the quick moves from interview to admission and the amount of admits who acknowledge bad interviews, I'm getting the feeling that the interview is more of an attempt to screen out the applicants who never had that much real interest in Cornell (and have probably gotten into other schools in the meantime) than it is an important piece of the overall application.
Congrats! And yeah, I definitely agree with that theory.

lawschoolprospect123

New

Post by lawschoolprospect123 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:29 pm

So does anyone know the stats on 1L students that live on campus vs. off campus?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:26 pm

lawschoolprospect123 wrote:So does anyone know the stats on 1L students that live on campus vs. off campus?
This is a pure estimation based on the number of people in the FBook group for Hughes plus a guesstimation on 13 South, but probably like 25 to 35% of the class is On-Campus?

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Currently in East Asia and I haven't received anything in the mail since getting my acceptance in early January...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:31 pm

Got the package in Canada yesterday. Accepted 1/7.

smiles123

Bronze

Post by smiles123 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:41 am

Just saw this now, checking in! Accepted in late January. Hoping the financial situation works out because there is no place I'd rather be next year!

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:57 pm

Does anyone know if we have to fill out any forms to be considered for merit scholarships? Or if we're automatically considered?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:04 pm

Shelbinole wrote:Does anyone know if we have to fill out any forms to be considered for merit scholarships? Or if we're automatically considered?
Lavitz wrote:Financial Aid
  • Deadline to submit forms: March 16, 2014.
  • To apply for merit-based aid, need-based aid, and federal loans, you must submit the Financial Aid Information Sheet available on this page in January.
  • To be eligible to receive federal loans, you must submit the FAFSA and a copy of your 2014 tax returns.
  • To be eligible for need-based aid, you must also submit the Need Access report and submit a copy of your parents' tax returns.
  • FAFSA and Need Access will be available January 1st.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”