Harvard Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
65%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
6%
Absolutely unsure
6%
Already withdrew from HLS
20%

Total votes: 143

TripTrip

Gold

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Post by TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:34 am

romanesque wrote:edit: also, is anyone else nervous that we only have reviews/outlines/exams from 1 class? :cry: :|
One thing you can do is use outlines for the same class from other professors and just Ctrl+F whatever case your on. It's like using a hornbook that's keyed to another casebook: annoying, but still helpful if you just want bullet points.

For Stilt, just use the materials from Singer's Property. She's using the book he wrote anyway.

LawBron James

Bronze

Post by LawBron James » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:54 am

romanesque wrote:section 1 - any idea what/where the "attached form" prof stilt mentions in the welcome letter is? also, we haven't gotten any emails from profs about courses/books etc., right?

edit: also, is anyone else nervous that we only have reviews/outlines/exams from 1 class? :cry: :|
Yeah that was dissapointing, I was hoping some of the other profs would have some info. I think I like the sound of a take home exam, though, so that seems nice.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:03 am

romanesque wrote:section 1 - any idea what/where the "attached form" prof stilt mentions in the welcome letter is? also, we haven't gotten any emails from profs about courses/books etc., right?

edit: also, is anyone else nervous that we only have reviews/outlines/exams from 1 class? :cry: :|
It's not attached to the email - if you go to the Canvas page --> Home you'll see a link for the "Questionnaire". Click that and it will download a word document that you fill out and add a picture to. Then you go to to "Assignments" --> "Questionnaire" --> "Submit Assignment" --> hit the "File Upload" tab (I was staring at the "Text Entry" tab for a while before I realized that lol) and then upload your document.

It's crazy how long it took me to figure out how to submit this questionnaire lol.

I haven't gotten any emails or seen anything on Canvas yet :(

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:48 am

Bye bye $500! :(

Also how important do you guys think the "Federal Civil Rules Supplement" is to have on time? Amazon New (~$32) is sold out and for whatever reason the used prices are >$1000. Should I just wait or get it from one of the other recommended sources (ecampus, etc.)?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:57 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:Bye bye $500! :(

Also how important do you guys think the "Federal Civil Rules Supplement" is to have on time? Amazon New (~$32) is sold out and for whatever reason the used prices are >$1000. Should I just wait or get it from one of the other recommended sources (ecampus, etc.)?
Just wait a week. Amazon will probably restock.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:16 pm

TripTrip wrote:
foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
mujiali wrote:Any chance books change between now and class starting? Was gonna go ahead and get mine, but don't want to get shafted. (This is something my undergrad profs would do sometimes).
I've never heard of that happening. A lot of these professors have used the same book for years (esp. Torts and Property). For Civ Pro it's usually the same casebook but the newer edition since the rules are constantly changing. (Or a course packet from the professors who actually care about students.)
dont have a casebook posted for civpro, crossing my fingers i get a course packet
Professors Hubbard and Cohen will provide course packets. Cohen always does and I emailed Hubbard before I listed him without any.
great :D on that note, im assuming a course packet is the same thing it is in UG? professors will distribute on the first day of class and you dont need any other materials for the semester...?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:44 pm

foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
mujiali wrote:Any chance books change between now and class starting? Was gonna go ahead and get mine, but don't want to get shafted. (This is something my undergrad profs would do sometimes).
I've never heard of that happening. A lot of these professors have used the same book for years (esp. Torts and Property). For Civ Pro it's usually the same casebook but the newer edition since the rules are constantly changing. (Or a course packet from the professors who actually care about students.)
dont have a casebook posted for civpro, crossing my fingers i get a course packet
Professors Hubbard and Cohen will provide course packets. Cohen always does and I emailed Hubbard before I listed him without any.
great :D on that note, im assuming a course packet is the same thing it is in UG? professors will distribute on the first day of class and you dont need any other materials for the semester...?
Usually they provide them online via H2O so you don't have to lug around 500 pages of looseleaf. But they will also provide them in physical form for pickup at the copy center, since you'll need to have read the first section before the first class.

The only other materials you would need would be a supplement, if you want one. I'll update the course lists with supplements prior student have recommended this weekend and shoot out an email about them once I have.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:17 pm

TripTrip wrote:Usually they provide them online via H2O so you don't have to lug around 500 pages of looseleaf. But they will also provide them in physical form for pickup at the copy center, since you'll need to have read the first section before the first class.

The only other materials you would need would be a supplement, if you want one. I'll update the course lists with supplements prior student have recommended this weekend and shoot out an email about them once I have.
thats fantastic, thank you!

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:35 pm

Got mine for under $400. Will have to see what kind of shape they are in. But found a great site that basically works as an ISBN google, that compares prices across internet sellers. Saved me a bunch. If anyone else wants the link I can post it here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:40 pm

mujiali wrote:

Got mine for under $400. Will have to see what kind of shape they are in. But found a great site that basically works as an ISBN google, that compares prices across internet sellers. Saved me a bunch. If anyone else wants the link I can post it here.
Shoot me a pm. I'd be curious to see whether it's finding lower prices than the Dope ISBN search engine.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:48 pm

mujiali wrote:

id def be interested. i went ahead and bought everything brand new bc i like to take notes in books, but i'd probably want cheaper books in the future :D ty!

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:58 pm

foxes wrote:
mujiali wrote:

id def be interested. i went ahead and bought everything brand new bc i like to take notes in books, but i'd probably want cheaper books in the future :D ty!
This is the site I used. You still have to compare a little to make sure you aren't buying shit, and it can be annoying to use multiple sites, but an extra login is worth 50-60 bucks for me.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:26 pm

Where are you guys seeing syllabi? My courses on Canvas are all unpublished.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:00 pm

leslieknope wrote:Where are you guys seeing syllabi? My courses on Canvas are all unpublished.
same, i think it might vary by section...i got nada :(

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Last edited by foxes on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:40 pm

foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Shoot me a pm. I'd be curious to see whether it's finding lower prices than the Dope ISBN search engine.
hey triptrip, thanks so much for the email update just now. quick question--if we signed up on dope using gmail verification, will we still get email updates? i think im misunderstanding the email. also, http://hlsdope.org/1l?section=4 are there supposed to be so many supplements listed? looks like 2 profs names disappeared and there multiple repeating supplements listed, some of which are unrelated to the class?
Yup! Just as long as you logged in somehow you'll get the emails. There's not a ton of them; usually it's just when there's feature that's about to become especially relevant to you (course registration, EIP preferencing, that kind of thing). When it's super important, Harvard will link you to the relevant HLS Dope page via a blog post or something. It's just more reliable to get them directly from me. (Plus then you get my witty sign offs and sarcasm, and access to outlines and exam answers and all that other stuff I'm not allowed to post publicly but the Deans don't mind so much if I post where only students can see it.)

The listing of literally every supplement ever on Section 4's page was indeed a bug. One of your classmates pointed it out in an email while I was on my way to destroy in a game of volleyball at Carson Beach. I had to pull my bike over and install and FTP client on my cell phone to fix it. It's working now, and I should have a permanent fix to keep that from ever happening again by the end of the day.

On the plus side, we still dominated in volleyball.

asdlfjsafn

New

Post by asdlfjsafn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Apologies is this is super obvious, but if professors have uploaded syllabi then we should be able to see them on Canvas without too much searching, right? At the moment, the only option under my Courses list on Canvas says "Section X."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:37 pm

asdlfjsafn wrote:Apologies is this is super obvious, but if professors have uploaded syllabi then we should be able to see them on Canvas without too much searching, right? At the moment, the only option under my Courses list on Canvas says "Section X."
That's all that I see right now too. Can someone who can see their syllabi let us know where they're seeing it?

Eta and thanks triptrip!

New

Post by 2666 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:37 am

I guess everyone have received the email about the casebooks? The thing is, I noticed that it came from HLSdope instead of some school official. It seems pretty legit to me but I guess you can never be too careful when every book causes nearly $190.Thoughts? Is it okay if I just go grab whatever it lists?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:46 am

2666 wrote:I guess everyone have received the email about the casebooks? The thing is, I noticed that it came from HLSdope instead of some school official. It seems pretty legit to me but I guess you can never be too careful when every book causes nearly $190.Thoughts? Is it okay if I just go grab whatever it lists?
The law school administration doesn't have a list of the required books for each class. They just flatly don't ask for that information from professors. It's absurd and I'm working to change it. Dope lists are taken from the Coop's website, so you can cross check them there. The most accurate source will obviously be your professor's syllabus, but as mentioned above they haven't all posted syllabi.

If you think these methods are archaic and outdated, you'd be right. It's borderline illegal, but they get around this problem through a little loophole in the text of the HEOA.

In other words, you will never get an email from a school official about casebooks. The email from me will be the only one unless your professors reach out.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:55 am

2666 wrote:I guess everyone have received the email about the casebooks? The thing is, I noticed that it came from HLSdope instead of some school official. It seems pretty legit to me but I guess you can never be too careful when every book causes nearly $190.Thoughts? Is it okay if I just go grab whatever it lists?
Lol yes go ahead and buy them.
TripTrip wrote:
The law school administration doesn't have a list of the required books for each class. They just flatly don't ask for that information from professors. It's absurd and I'm working to change it. Dope lists are taken from the Coop's website, so you can cross check them there. The most accurate source will obviously be your professor's syllabus, but as mentioned above they haven't all posted syllabi.

If you think these methods are archaic and outdated, you'd be right. It's borderline illegal, but they get around this problem through a little loophole in the text of the HEOA.

In other words, you will never get an email from a school official about casebooks. The email from me will be the only one unless your professors reach out.
Jeeeez :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by 2666 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:02 am

TripTrip wrote:

Thanks, and thanks for the email apparently:)

morimoto1991

New

Post by morimoto1991 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:04 am

kind of a stupid question...but is it okay if i put "Rm" instead of "#" for gropius address? i know HLS housing specifically said to put all addresses in exact forms (ex 1585 MASSACHUSETTS AVE #000) but some of my shipping/bank accounts etc are not accepting the hashtag sign for whatever reason. thanks :o

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:10 am

morimoto1991 wrote:kind of a stupid question...but is it okay if i put "Rm" instead of "#" for gropius address? i know HLS housing specifically said to put all addresses in exact forms (ex 1585 MASSACHUSETTS AVE #000) but some of my shipping/bank accounts etc are not accepting the hashtag sign for whatever reason. thanks :o
It would be better to put "Mlbx" since your Room number is a totally different number that is only vaguely mathematically related to your Mailbox number.

Don't fret if you screw it up. The mailroom is on top of their game. When they aren't too busy they double check names against the directory to make sure things get where they are supposed to.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:49 am

all hail HLS Dope

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”