0Ls, what are you doing the summer before law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Plans?

Prepping for 1L
15%
Work
46%
Travel
29%
Other
10%

Total votes: 272

kanthandleit

New

Re: 0Ls, what are you doing the summer before law school?

Post by kanthandleit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:05 am

LawBron James wrote:
kanthandleit wrote:If all goes as planned..Bahamas, working my paralegal job until last minute (probably until June or July), moving from Texas to some shit yall call "snow". It'll be a nice last summer, RIP me.
Shoutout to the empanada avatar.

And I'll be backpacking europe like the stereotypical college grad, can't wait.
Holler! It's a carne empanada, FYI. None of this dessert empanada crap.

Have fun in Europe! Here comes the unsolicited advice: actually backpacking with a backpacking backpack will suck a lot if you over-pack, especially during those times you get lost and end up walking 5 miles the wrong way. Enjoy!

LawBron James

Bronze

Post by LawBron James » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 pm

kanthandleit wrote:
LawBron James wrote:
kanthandleit wrote:If all goes as planned..Bahamas, working my paralegal job until last minute (probably until June or July), moving from Texas to some shit yall call "snow". It'll be a nice last summer, RIP me.

Have fun in Europe! Here comes the unsolicited advice: actually backpacking with a backpacking backpack will suck a lot if you over-pack, especially during those times you get lost and end up walking 5 miles the wrong way. Enjoy!
Thanks!

I've actually backpacked before, and with an actual backpack, so I know the drill. But you are totally right about keeping that bag light, it can get brutal. I've seen people do it with regular luggage, which doesn't seem like a bad idea, but it's part of the experience for me (and you don't get charged extra on EasyJet/RyanAir).

kanthandleit

New

Post by kanthandleit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:47 pm

LawBron James wrote:
kanthandleit wrote:
LawBron James wrote:

Thanks!

I've actually backpacked before, and with an actual backpack, so I know the drill. But you are totally right about keeping that bag light, it can get brutal. I've seen people do it with regular luggage, which doesn't seem like a bad idea, but it's part of the experience for me (and you don't get charged extra on EasyJet/RyanAir).
Right on! Have fun...and uh, hold on to your hat flying RyanAir. You are a much braver person than I! :P

twitterati

Bronze

Post by twitterati » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Is anyone else planning to run down all of their non-retirement accounts to travel before law school starts? I'd keep an emergency savings acct of course, but I've received a lot of advice from law students and professionals saying that I'll never have this time again to travel and I shouldn't let $ be a constraining factor...

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:25 pm

twitterati wrote:Is anyone else planning to run down all of their non-retirement accounts to travel before law school starts? I'd keep an emergency savings acct of course, but I've received a lot of advice from law students and professionals saying that I'll never have this time again to travel and I shouldn't let $ be a constraining factor...
I took a 2 month trip to Europe last summer (in between undergrad and starting at my job) using a good chunk of my savings. I basically thought about it the same way: while I may have money in the future, I'll probably never again have an uninterrupted 2 month break to just travel. And I'd never been to Europe before! It was really fun, I highly recommend it. Except for spending that long on a plane, that wasn't the greatest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 am

twitterati wrote:Is anyone else planning to run down all of their non-retirement accounts to travel before law school starts? I'd keep an emergency savings acct of course, but I've received a lot of advice from law students and professionals saying that I'll never have this time again to travel and I shouldn't let $ be a constraining factor...
Yup.

maroon175

Bronze

Post by maroon175 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 am

everything_bagel wrote:
Yup.
+1

twitterati

Bronze

Post by twitterati » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Speaking of running down bank accounts though--I'm feeling a little pinched. I was checking TLS last night on my macbook pro from high school and it just died. RIP. You stuck with me through some dark times in college.

Time to shell out some money for a new law school laptop! I'm thinking the refreshed 13" macbook pro w/ retina. Any thoughts?

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:30 pm

twitterati wrote:Speaking of running down bank accounts though--I'm feeling a little pinched. I was checking TLS last night on my macbook pro from high school and it just died. RIP. You stuck with me through some dark times in college.

Time to shell out some money for a new law school laptop! I'm thinking the refreshed 13" macbook pro w/ retina. Any thoughts?
I just purchased the Asus Zenbook (UX305) but I also considered the 13" MBA (2014). I like portability/battery life and don't really put emphasis on processing power though (I don't game or use resource-intensive applications).

Whenever a refresh comes out, I typically buy the old one on mark down but that's the poor in me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:10 pm

twitterati wrote:Speaking of running down bank accounts though--I'm feeling a little pinched. I was checking TLS last night on my macbook pro from high school and it just died. RIP. You stuck with me through some dark times in college.

I think most schools have an extra laptop allowance you can get in loans (...if you're willing to pay an extra 7% anyway).

I increasingly feel like apple computers aren't worth the huge markup but some people really get burned by PC's dying too quickly. Tcr is probably having a good online/hard drive backup whatever device you get...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:13 pm

everything_bagel wrote:

I think most schools have an extra laptop allowance you can get in loans (...if you're willing to pay an extra 7% anyway).

I increasingly feel like apple computers aren't worth the huge markup but some people really get burned by PC's dying too quickly. Tcr is probably having a good online/hard drive backup whatever device you get...
My SO got an apple air around the same time I purchased a samsung ultrabook. While the former cost several hundred dollars more, the difference in overall performance a couple of years later is pretty stunning - my computer is sloooooooow these days while the apple is still as quick and fresh as on the first day. Pretty convinced I'll be switching over this fall.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 pm

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:38 pm

The Macbook I got for UG lasted 5 years and was still as good as the day I bought it when it had an unfortunate encounter with a cup of tea. Prior to that I was burning through PCs every other year. Between that and being able to take it to an apple store for an overnight and free fix when I had a problem, I probably ended up breaking even on the $$. I admittedly know very little about computers, but I stuck with macs just for the durability and reliability factor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Gray wrote:
hereisonehand wrote: My SO got an apple air around the same time I purchased a samsung ultrabook. While the former cost several hundred dollars more, the difference in overall performance a couple of years later is pretty stunning - my computer is sloooooooow these days while the apple is still as quick and fresh as on the first day. Pretty convinced I'll be switching over this fall.
ugh but the $$$
yes the only reason this is happening is that I'll be taking out that laptop loan ETA #yolo-ans

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:58 pm

twitterati

Bronze

Post by twitterati » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:10 pm

Ooh good points all around. Yeah, I considered the Surface but once you add in extra storage and the keyboard cover, it's right at what the newest macbook pro w/ retina is going for. So I'll probably end up getting that later today even though the new 12" macbook weighs 1.5lbs less! *drool*

P.S. does anyone know if apple accepts admittance to school as qualifying for the education discount? I don't have any .edu addresses at the moment...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:17 pm

twitterati wrote:Ooh good points all around. Yeah, I considered the Surface but once you add in extra storage and the keyboard cover, it's right at what the newest macbook pro w/ retina is going for. So I'll probably end up getting that later today even though the new 12" macbook weighs 1.5lbs less! *drool*

P.S. does anyone know if apple accepts admittance to school as qualifying for the education discount? I don't have any .edu addresses at the moment...
Apple website wrote:Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions in the United States; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution in the United States are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.
Seems like you're in the clear.

twitterati

Bronze

Post by twitterati » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:33 pm

lc39 wrote:
Apple website wrote:Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions in the United States; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution in the United States are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.
Seems like you're in the clear.
Thanks!

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:44 pm

hereisonehand wrote:My SO got an apple air around the same time I purchased a samsung ultrabook. While the former cost several hundred dollars more, the difference in overall performance a couple of years later is pretty stunning - my computer is sloooooooow these days while the apple is still as quick and fresh as on the first day. Pretty convinced I'll be switching over this fall.
How long have each been running? My MacBook Pro is about 5-6 years old and is pretty damn slow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:48 pm

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:08 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:44 pm

twitterati

Bronze

Post by twitterati » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:55 pm

downbeat14 wrote:
Gray wrote: yes I got mr. grey a surface for christmas last year and he loves it. Definitely planning on getting one for LS because it's so easy to carry around.
What a good gift!

@twitterati I think it's better than the new macbook FWIW.
Bah, I don't know. I'm probably the bane of Microsoft's existence when they are trying to convince consumers that a tablet/laptop combo is better than a laptop. Here's the way I see it: (1) I already have a tablet (2) for the same price, I'd prefer what the macbook offers: better trackpad, bigger display, longer battery life. Overall, I'm looking for a solid, primary computer kind of machine and I don't think the Surface is going to do it. But you know what--there's a Microsoft store right near the apple store in the mall. You've convinced me that I should at least play with the Surface and see what it's like! I'll report back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”