. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
ldlamb

New

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Post by ldlamb » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:03 pm

section 1- be ready for CivPro

gjohnson

New

Post by gjohnson » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to change your loan amounts after you've submitted the blue application?

motoman92

New

Post by motoman92 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:55 pm

gjohnson wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to change your loan amounts after you've submitted the blue application?
I believe you just have to fill out this form: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... ation2.pdf

CaptainJapan

Bronze

Post by CaptainJapan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:56 am

ldlamb wrote:section 1- be ready for CivPro
go on...

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:11 am

CaptainJapan wrote:
ldlamb wrote:section 1- be ready for CivPro
go on...
Section 1 must have Abernathy for CivPro. Brutal cold caller. I didn't have him (former § 3 here), but I've heard horrendous stories.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:57 pm

To those that waived the school insurance, what kind of documentation did you need to provide? Certificate of coverage from your insurance provider?

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:05 pm

Hand wrote:To those that waived the school insurance, what kind of documentation did you need to provide? Certificate of coverage from your insurance provider?
Its a survey you have to fill out on MyAccess. They ask questions about the extent of your coverage and I think a policy number and contact info for the provider. I don't remember having to give any documentation beyond that though.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:37 pm

theotherone823 wrote:
Hand wrote:To those that waived the school insurance, what kind of documentation did you need to provide? Certificate of coverage from your insurance provider?
Its a survey you have to fill out on MyAccess. They ask questions about the extent of your coverage and I think a policy number and contact info for the provider. I don't remember having to give any documentation beyond that though.
Thanks; I gave 'm a call and it sounds like they indeed just want you to produce the required info. Which I don't have yet, but whatever.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:44 pm

navykev wrote:Figured I'd share some info about getting your GoCard done so it's waiting for you at orientation.

You need a passport type photo showing your head and shoulders against a white or blue background. I took my photo with my cell against a white door and they accepted it. Email the picture to gocard@law.georgetown.edu along with your GUID number (that will be your GoCard number as well).

I sent mine to them this morning and got this email in the afternoon. "Your GOCard has been produced and will be ready for pick up during the week of orientation."
That's weird, I did all that two weeks ago and never got a response.

Anyone else get silence back?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:33 pm

usn26 wrote:
navykev wrote:Figured I'd share some info about getting your GoCard done so it's waiting for you at orientation.

You need a passport type photo showing your head and shoulders against a white or blue background. I took my photo with my cell against a white door and they accepted it. Email the picture to gocard@law.georgetown.edu along with your GUID number (that will be your GoCard number as well).

I sent mine to them this morning and got this email in the afternoon. "Your GOCard has been produced and will be ready for pick up during the week of orientation."

It's been at least a week since I submitted a pic, haven't heard a thing

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Hand wrote:
usn26 wrote:

If you didn't hear anything back, I would definitely follow up with the GoCard office. I never heard anything from them after I submitted last summer, and then when I went to pick up the card during orientation they didn't have it ready for me.

Also, if you haven't submitted a pic for your GoCard yet do it ASAP! Do not wait until the last day to do it! Last year the email inbox at the GoCard office got filled up to capacity by people who waited until the deadline to do it, and a lot of people (myself included) had to send to an alternate address.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Hello little 0L's! Shameless self promotion from a fellow GULC'er. Vote for me here in a silly Lounge popularity contest:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=9875

Also do check out the lounge if you haven't before. The people are uniformly awful, the discussion alternates between ridiculous, offensive, and stupid, but we can't let those T13 people have all the fun!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:26 pm

theotherone823 wrote:
Hand wrote:
usn26 wrote:

If you didn't hear anything back, I would definitely follow up with the GoCard office. I never heard anything from them after I submitted last summer, and then when I went to pick up the card during orientation they didn't have it ready for me.

Also, if you haven't submitted a pic for your GoCard yet do it ASAP! Do not wait until the last day to do it! Last year the email inbox at the GoCard office got filled up to capacity by people who waited until the deadline to do it, and a lot of people (myself included) had to send to an alternate address.
I emailed them a "what's up?", and they told me they never got my photo (which was attached to the same email with the form they said they did have). I resent it and it looks like everything is g2g (unless they screw it up again).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Manifest

New

Post by Manifest » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Anyone buying supplements ahead of time? If so, how did you decide which ones? (Section 4 BTW...)

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Manifest wrote:Anyone buying supplements ahead of time? If so, how did you decide which ones? (Section 4 BTW...)
I would suggest waiting until class starts to see if there are specific ones your professor recommends. That said, there are a handful that are almost ubiquitous. Glannon's E&E for CivPro and Chemerinsky's Constitutional Law: Practices and Policies for ConLaw are the two that immediately come to mind.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

http://store.westacademic.com/Civil-Pro ... ement.html

My civ pro professor lists this supplement as a requirement. Generally speaking is it worth buying these? Will there be assigned reading from this kind of book?

CaptainJapan

Bronze

Post by CaptainJapan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:34 am

supersplittysplitter wrote:http://store.westacademic.com/Civil-Pro ... ement.html

My civ pro professor lists this supplement as a requirement. Generally speaking is it worth buying these? Will there be assigned reading from this kind of book?
Where's this info?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:30 am

supersplittysplitter wrote:http://store.westacademic.com/Civil-Pro ... ement.html

That is going to have all of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, certain federal statutes, portions of the constitution, and occasionally cases that are too recent to have made it into the casebook. You are going to want to buy that. You can find everything that's in there elsewhere, but it's nice to have it all in one place for easy reference/marking up, etc. Especially for CivPro, where basically the whole class is about learning and interpreting those rules.

Manifest

New

Post by Manifest » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 am

CaptainJapan wrote:

Where's this info?
+1 please, I haven't been able to find anything like that from my professors.

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:01 pm

Manifest wrote:
CaptainJapan wrote:

Where's this info?
+1 please, I haven't been able to find anything like that from my professors.
http://apps.law.georgetown.edu/curricul ... Letter=ALL

Find your section & professor, then click the link on the left that says "View Textbooks." Some classes may have additional materials from the professor that you can download/have printed. You should get an email about that sometime soon.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:47 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:If any of you are looking for books, I have a bunch with no highlighting. They were all bought new and only have pencil notes in the margins. Specifically:

Yeazell, Civil Procedure, 8th edition
Barnett, Contracts, 5th Edition
Dukeminier, Property, 8th edition
Prosser, Torts, twelfth Eddition
Stone, Constitutional Law, Seventh Edition

I also have a bunch of the E&E's and supplements. The only ones that have highlighting are Chemerinsky, which has heavy highlighting (had to learn con law in a day and a half), and The Estates in Land supplement which has some highlighting, but isn't too bad.

No Highlighting:
Glannon, Torts E&E, Fourth Edition
Glannon, Civ Pro E&E, Seventh Edition
Freer, Civ Pro, Third Edition (a must have imo)
Sprankling, Understanding Property Law, Third Edition

Some Highlighting:
Edwards, Estates in Land and Future Interests, Third Edition (Critical, especially for Dukeminier)

Heavy Highlighting:
Chemerinsky, Constitutional Law, Fourth Edition (also a must have, this class is awful)
Bump if anyone's still looking for books.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NimChimpsky

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Post by NimChimpsky » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Hey, I'd be interested in the Sprankling, both of the Glannon E&Es, and the Freer. Want to send me a PM?

Hi, everybody, btw. Section 4, here.

ETA: Scratch the Torts E&E...I think I'd want the 5th.

CaptainJapan

Bronze

Post by CaptainJapan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Did anyone's section switch in the last 2 weeks? I was listed as Section 1 originally, and at some point in the last few days the ASW says I'm in section 5, with an updated .pdf class schedule. I guess it's not a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:00 pm

kray

Bronze

Post by kray » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:03 pm

FYI, if you're taking COL loans, you can now request a refund via myaccess.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”