Michigan Law c/o 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW will you attend?

March 19-21
34%
April 9-11
42%
Neither
24%

Total votes: 71

smoneill88

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2018

Post by smoneill88 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:58 am

Congrats to everyone on this thread! Welcome to MLAW!

This is for any confirmed Summer Starters.

I'm a 3L graduating in spring looking to sublet my room in a fully furnished 2BR newly renovated apt that's 2 blocks from campus. Move in is flexible (I graduate May 10-ish), lease ends 8/20/2015. 817 Arch Street, Ann Arbor, 48104 is the address if you want to check out the location. I have photos I can send you, but the gist of it is hardwood in the living area, full granite in the kitchen + bathroom, new appliances, gas range, a nice sunny balcony, etc.

The apt is located one block from one of Ann Arbor's central intersections (Packard & State St), so you've got plenty of liquor stores, coffee, quick bites to eat, etc. very nearby.

You'd likely have the 2BR apartment to yourself because I don't think my roommate will be filling his room over the summer. Rent is $975/mo. The property owners (who are SERIOUSLY great, best landlords I've ever had) cover all utilities except power and cable (power is usually less than $20 total per month).

PM me if you're interested, I have pics I can email you.

And once again, CONGRATULATIONS!

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:23 am

Checking in! Summer starter.

Still waiting for that scholly info but as long as they don't totally stiff me I don't really see myself going anywhere else. Had my LC app accepted a few weeks ago.

mina_ami

New

Post by mina_ami » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Got a few questions I was hoping someone could answer!

I'm planning on attending the first preview weekend in March. I'll be riding the train in from home through Chicago. Unfortunatly, in order to make any of the Thursday events, I'll have to ride in on Wednesday, and they don't offer the event Hotel Wednesday night. Having only been to Ann Arbor once, I was wondering which Hotels would be easiest to get to from the train station for as inexpensively as possible? Train arrives at 6:15, and I'd rather not have to walk too far. Also, is there anyone else rolling in Wednesday of the first preview weekend and anyone else taking the train either from the Chicago direction on Wednesday or towards Chicago on Saturday?

warby93

Bronze

Post by warby93 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:37 pm

We should be getting scholly info soon right?? I got a letter from admissions yesterday, got all excited, then realized it was just confirming that they got my security deposit :roll:

BFrazer05

New

Post by BFrazer05 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Visiting friends and family in Ann Arbor this week.

Just stopped by the M-Den and picked up my MICHIGAN LAW SHIRT! Yahoooooooooo

If anyone is around and wants to grab a beer or something, lemme know. I understand everyone is probably slammed with finals and whatnot, but if you need a breather... shoot me a PM!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcdetroit

New

Post by jcdetroit » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:50 pm

warby93 wrote:We should be getting scholly info soon right?? I got a letter from admissions yesterday, got all excited, then realized it was just confirming that they got my security deposit :roll:
Isn't it unlikely for them to throw any $ to those that ED? (I'm ED too)

warby93

Bronze

Post by warby93 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:53 pm

jcdetroit wrote:
warby93 wrote:We should be getting scholly info soon right?? I got a letter from admissions yesterday, got all excited, then realized it was just confirming that they got my security deposit :roll:
Isn't it unlikely for them to throw any $ to those that ED? (I'm ED too)
Well... they say that they give us equal consideration but who knows. I'd (obviously) be willing to pay sticker but I'd be reaaalllyyyy happy with anything Michigan would want to throw my way.

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:32 pm

rebexness wrote:
jcdetroit wrote:Do most people try to live in the Lawyers Club? I think I'll send my LC application out this week.
Very seriously considering it, even though I am an old.
Eh, I wouldn't be worried about that. There's plenty of people in the LC this year that fall into the category of "old" relative to the rest of the class, it's fine.

The convenience of it is really the best part, being able to roll out of bed and stroll over to class in 5~ minutes is pretty clutch. The social benefits are pretty obvious, a solid majority of the class is living here and you just end up meeting people. There's a lot of "common" rooms outfitted with kitchens & living room arrangements that are littered throughout the halls that people end up hanging out in, watching TV, etc. The LC doesn't play by the same alcohol rules as the undergrad dorms, so a lot of pregaming goes on here, since it's a pretty short walk from most of the South U bars.

The food is pretty meh, not sure if that's entirely worth the price that they quote. Not having to find a subletter for the summer months is also a pretty big deal that people don't really think of... Unless you plan on working in the area, you're obviously going to want to find someone to sublet your lease for the months you'll be out of town with your 1L job, and the demand just isn't there. Almost everybody has to end up eating some of the cost of rent to get it down to a rate that someone will sublet for.

I don't know if they're giving out info to your class yet, but the Munger Graduate Residences also open this fall and are open to law school students as well. Their lease agreements are pretty flexible (only run as long as the school year, can opt out if you end up studying abroad, etc.), and most are slightly cheaper than the monthly rate that the LC's website projects out for rent, but there's no required meal plan. It's pretty close to the law school, about as close as you can get without being in the LC. The setup is the only weird part - all of the apartments are either 7, 6 or 3 bedrooms. Each bedroom has its own separate bath and provided bed/desk/etc. (very similar to the LC's setup), while all of them share a "common" area which consists of a living room & kitchen.

If anybody has any questions about housing or Michigan Law in general I'm free to answer either here or via PM. It's been pretty great out here so far, excited to see what next year's class ends up bringing to the community!

taptaptop

Bronze

Post by taptaptop » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:36 am

Checking in!

I'm planning on visiting the states before school starts, probably around March. Would love to see you guys in preview weekend!!

Also, when is the proper time to start searching for summer sublet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Styx91

New

Post by Styx91 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:26 pm

taptaptop wrote:Checking in!

I'm planning on visiting the states before school starts, probably around March. Would love to see you guys in preview weekend!!

Also, when is the proper time to start searching for summer sublet?
Yes, when should we start looking for a sublet? Sucks they don't offer lawyers club for summer start...

terrier27

Bronze

Post by terrier27 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Last edited by terrier27 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:45 pm

terrier27 wrote:Can you apply to Lawyers Club before you are even sure you're going to Michigan? I'm scared to wait and then miss out
Yeah, they're pretty loose with the leases up until about July. They just fill in your spot with someone off of a waitlist they keep.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 pm

Anyone get an email about a deans scholarship today? (40k yr)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:57 pm

james.bungles wrote:Anyone get an email about a deans scholarship today? (40k yr)
Yup, I got an email as well. Very exciting! Congrats, man.

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:52 am

everything_bagel wrote:
james.bungles wrote:Anyone get an email about a deans scholarship today? (40k yr)
Yup, I got an email as well. Very exciting! Congrats, man.
Congrats!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:06 am

Has anyone been able to find detailed info on costs of LC housing vs. off campus housing? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

hangree

New

Post by hangree » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:17 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Has anyone been able to find detailed info on costs of LC housing vs. off campus housing? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
The LC's website has a cost breakdown that shows that the cost of living there is roughly equal to $1000/month room and $500/month board or something like that. I haven't seen any sort of side-by-side cost comparison but you can get an idea off craigslist or trulia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:38 pm

hangree wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:Has anyone been able to find detailed info on costs of LC housing vs. off campus housing? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
The LC's website has a cost breakdown that shows that the cost of living there is roughly equal to $1000/month room and $500/month board or something like that. I haven't seen any sort of side-by-side cost comparison but you can get an idea off craigslist or trulia.
thank you!

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Dean's scholarship email today! (20k per year)

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:31 pm

Dean's Scholarship from Mich! PM for details.

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Congrats on the $$$!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:15 am

Has anyone pre-registered for a Preview Weekend? The ASW makes all sorts of references to registering online but I have no idea where...

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:37 am

giantswan wrote:Has anyone pre-registered for a Preview Weekend? The ASW makes all sorts of references to registering online but I have no idea where...
Speaking of this, does anyone remember/know if there is any reason to choose one over the other (stuff that happens at April vs March?)

I can probably do either but April is easier bc i'm not fighting for spring break mileage tickets.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Mich's Twitter wrote: News from #FinAid: now reviewing Oct/Nov/Dec admits for merit aid! After catching up, will proceed with new admits on rolling basis

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:07 pm

hillz wrote:
Mich's Twitter wrote: News from #FinAid: now reviewing Oct/Nov/Dec admits for merit aid! After catching up, will proceed with new admits on rolling basis
:D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”