www.top-law-schools.com Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
commandercup

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Post by commandercup » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:37 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Kip wrote:Anyone try negotiating lately?
I think right after the first deposit deadline might be the best/only time to try. Just my opinion ofc and I'm a rando, so grain of salt, etc.
How does this work if you're not dead-set on UVA? Do you deposit just at UVA and then negotiate or do you double deposit for leverage?

darla2013

New

Post by darla2013 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:50 pm

double deposit for leverage

elliot12345

New

Post by elliot12345 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:30 pm

If we intend on negotiating, would it be better to send out an email to the generic finaid email address or to someone in particular like Josh Black?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Someone in admissions for sure. Financial aid deals with need based stuff/loans; admissions officers are the ones who award merit-based aid
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:15 pm

elliot12345 wrote:If we intend on negotiating, would it be better to send out an email to the generic finaid email address or to someone in particular like Josh Black?
When I spoke to Josh Black he told me he has nothing to do with merit based aid decisions and that Dean Grace Cleveland and Cordel are the ones who handle that. So I would email one of those two!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:16 am

withdrew, 164.4k back in the pot, so now u know they're lying if they say theres no money lol

mccllln2

New

Post by mccllln2 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:51 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:withdrew, 164.4k back in the pot, so now u know they're lying if they say theres no money lol
checking in, 95% sure i'll be in cville next fall but haven't sent my deposit yet. Like most of us i'm hoping i can tap into this to make my life a little bit easier.

edit: also thank you to everyone who's posted housing information, it's tough to figure out from afar. i'm looking forward to meeting everyone in a few months!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Officially signing a lease today!!
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:45 pm

new employment numbers out today btw

http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/aba/2014employment.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamaicanSaiyan8

New

Post by JamaicanSaiyan8 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:32 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:withdrew, 164.4k back in the pot, so now u know they're lying if they say theres no money lol
Received the "we have no money" spiel today :(

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:42 pm

JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:
tell them u know theyre lying

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:24 pm

JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:
lol i withdrew 165k this morning

queerqueg

New

Post by queerqueg » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they already earmarked it for '16-'17

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:39 pm

queerqueg wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they already earmarked it for '16-'17
They've probably had too many people already accept large scholarships, so they're running low on available funds. I would assume they budget strictly (or loosely in this case) for each academic year. This is TLS hearsay, but I read a post that suggested that admissions offices offer more scholarships than they can reasonably pay for because they know that a decent portion will decline to matriculate at other schools. Makes sense to me.

queerqueg

New

Post by queerqueg » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:46 pm

commandercup wrote:This is TLS hearsay, but I read a post that suggested that admissions offices offer more scholarships than they can reasonably pay for because they know that a decent portion will decline to matriculate at other schools.
Phrasing is a bit confusing but yeah, I'm sure that's the case. UVA seems to be the only school having this problem though

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:new employment numbers out today btw

http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/aba/2014employment.pdf
These seem pretty good

hitherim

New

Post by hitherim » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Seat Deposit down!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

darla2013

New

Post by darla2013 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 am

They've probably had too many people already accept large scholarships, so they're running low on available funds. I would assume they budget strictly (or loosely in this case) for each academic year. This is TLS hearsay, but I read a post that suggested that admissions offices offer more scholarships than they can reasonably pay for because they know that a decent portion will decline to matriculate at other schools. Makes sense to me.
spoke with an admissions officer and was told this is the case. so, the "we're out of money" spiel is probably accurate, regardless of people with money withdrawing.

i also have a little more specific info on this if anyone wants to pm!

psychmusic

Bronze

Post by psychmusic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:09 am

Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

darla2013

New

Post by darla2013 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:31 am

I'd agree that they seem to be "out of money" because they offered sooooo much big $$ to a small group of people (I mean, this is my guess). I don't understand the strategy behind this--clearly their median/slightly above median candidates will get $ from peer schools and then have little reason to consider a $0 offer from uva (what happened to me). Plus they're a big YP school? Doesn't make sense to me. So will this fall's class be comprised of only big scholly people/EDs/borderline people with no $ offers at peer schools? I'm super interested to see how this plays out in terms of medians/rankings.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:17 am

psychmusic wrote:Baseless speculation alert-

It seems like UVA was uniquely aggressive in offering large scholarships (Dillards) this year early on, and I imagine that it was a very deliberate decision. For me, at least, getting a Dillard in October meant months and months of essentially being mentally deposited at UVA before other real options started popping up. It's almost in the same vein as Duke's Priority Track strategy. The upside is they might have been able to snag a few high numbers candidates early on, shoring up their medians. The downside is that applicants who were highly qualified but submitted late, or who were early YP candidates who went on demonstrated interest, were left out in the cold. It also seems to have cut down on the number of less-than-full scholarships they offered, meaning apps with numbers closer to median might have been tougher to pull.

I'll be really interested to see how it all plays out in terms of their medians for this year (and to see if they got their class's diversity more in check).
Yea, can't wait to see their medians! And UVA's scholly approach this cycle really emphasizes how submitting even as late as November could hurt you, i/r/t obtaining scholarships.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:52 pm

I finally received my official acceptance packet. :evil: It's postmarked 2/4 and showed up today (4/10). That's impressive even for the USPS. :mrgreen:

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Okay all, here's a question - I see on the online seat deposit page that you're first "discouraged from", and then outright prohibited from double-depositing after May 17th. I also think I read somewhere that schools can't penalize you for staying on other schools' waitlists past the deposit deadline because those aren't other offers, merely the possibility of offers. But does anyone know how other schools' waitlists would affect a scholarship, if at all? I just have a regular Dean's scholarship, no Dillard or anything, but I still wouldn't want to jeopardize it just by being on a waitlist. Sorry if this is a dumb question. Meanwhile:
xylocarp wrote:Officially signing a lease today!!
Where'd you end up?? I saw the beautiful coke loft pop up on craigslist again a few weeks ago...

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:47 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:Okay all, here's a question - I see on the online seat deposit page that you're first "discouraged from", and then outright prohibited from double-depositing after May 17th. I also think I read somewhere that schools can't penalize you for staying on other schools' waitlists past the deposit deadline because those aren't other offers, merely the possibility of offers. But does anyone know how other schools' waitlists would affect a scholarship, if at all? I just have a regular Dean's scholarship, no Dillard or anything, but I still wouldn't want to jeopardize it just by being on a waitlist. Sorry if this is a dumb question. Meanwhile:
xylocarp wrote:Officially signing a lease today!!
Where'd you end up?? I saw the beautiful coke loft pop up on craigslist again a few weeks ago...
You can stay on the waitlist at another university past May 17 and accept your scholarship offer without any penalty. There's nothing to worry about here.

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:01 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:You can stay on the waitlist at another university past May 17 and accept your scholarship offer without any penalty. There's nothing to worry about here.
Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”