UVA Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where will you be living in the fall?

Pavilion
7
16%
Jeffersonian
4
9%
Ivy Gardens
6
14%
Arlington Park
3
7%
Stonefield Commons
0
No votes
City Walk
2
5%
Jefferson Ridge
0
No votes
In a house/townhouse/non-apartment complex
3
7%
Other - Cville Area (feel free to mention ITT!)
8
18%
Other - Elsewhere (and I just like to vote in polls because I want to feel like I'm a part of something)
11
25%
 
Total votes: 44

User avatar
BorisDiaw
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby BorisDiaw » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:49 pm

sooooo many options on activities. I just sent the survey to a 2L friend who's helping out with orientation to see what he advises.

Regarding living quarters: I found Arlington Court Condos on the student housing website. The apartment doesn't look to be luxurious but I plopped my name on a lease without seeing it because 1) it was cheaper than the big three (Ivy, Jeffersonian & Pavilion) and 2) it's a 2 minute walk to the school. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be a shambolic locale.

User avatar
andthenIwaslike
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby andthenIwaslike » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Yeah, I found myself torn between the groups I wanted to get to know and the activities that seemed best. Why isn't every group doing ice cream??

smile0751
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby smile0751 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:22 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:Why isn't every group doing ice cream??


Exact same thought went through my mind. What other activities are there during orientation?

User avatar
andthenIwaslike
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby andthenIwaslike » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:35 pm

smile0751 wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:Why isn't every group doing ice cream??


Exact same thought went through my mind. What other activities are there during orientation?


I think the email they sent out a few weeks ago had a skeleton itinerary - seems like it's a lot of getting to know your section, advisors, faculty, that kind of stuff.

User avatar
andthenIwaslike
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby andthenIwaslike » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:37 pm

jj2014 wrote:If we don't get our class schedules until orientation are we basically forced to buy the books at the bookstore, or is there usually enough time to order from Amazon before we need them?


No idea - maybe ask in the current students thread?

smile0751
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby smile0751 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:49 am

Anyone else moved to Charlottesville yet?

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4935
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:35 am

smile0751 wrote:Anyone else moved to Charlottesville yet?

I'm in the process currently! Won't be down for good for another week or so though.

User avatar
andthenIwaslike
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby andthenIwaslike » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:36 pm

smile0751 wrote:Anyone else moved to Charlottesville yet?


In a few weeks. We should definitely organize something once we're all here!

User avatar
february1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby february1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:51 pm

I am so ready to get started...this summer is killing me. Anyone else tired of hearing endless horror stories about law school? Very few from people who actually went to UVA tho - hoping that makes a difference!

User avatar
whats an updog
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby whats an updog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 pm

february1 wrote:I am so ready to get started...this summer is killing me. Anyone else tired of hearing endless horror stories about law school? Very few from people who actually went to UVA tho - hoping that makes a difference!


law school is seriously fine. a little stressful around exam times, but otherwise nbd

smile0751
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby smile0751 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:24 pm

february1 wrote:I am so ready to get started...this summer is killing me. Anyone else tired of hearing endless horror stories about law school? Very few from people who actually went to UVA tho - hoping that makes a difference!



I'm ready too. I quit my job over a month ago, and while I've been appreciating my time off.... I'm ready to meet people and get started!!!

User avatar
JuanitaFromTheDiner
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby JuanitaFromTheDiner » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Moved in 2 weeks ago. Like everyone above, I'm ready to quit reading books about how awful law school is and start...I know we get section assignments the Friday before Orientation, so does that mean we won't know our class schedule till then? Trying to buy plane tickets for a wedding in September and wondering what time I could leave Friday (ideally not missing class)...

Wahoowa18
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby Wahoowa18 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:23 pm

JuanitaFromTheDiner wrote:Moved in 2 weeks ago. Like everyone above, I'm ready to quit reading books about how awful law school is and start...I know we get section assignments the Friday before Orientation, so does that mean we won't know our class schedule till then? Trying to buy plane tickets for a wedding in September and wondering what time I could leave Friday (ideally not missing class)...


Checking in! Pretty hyped to start law school in less than two weeks now!

People are reading books about how awful law school is? What's the point? I haven't done anything law school related all summer, I feel like I'm way less stressed about this whole thing than everyone else going to law school by reading these forums. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing haha.

Yea we won't know our exact class schedule until then probably, but it will probably be the same as last years so you could just ask a current student. Or if you wanted to be extra sure you could probably just call the registrars or admissions office at the law school and they'd be able to tell you probably what time would be safe.

User avatar
february1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby february1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Wahoowa18 wrote:
JuanitaFromTheDiner wrote:Moved in 2 weeks ago. Like everyone above, I'm ready to quit reading books about how awful law school is and start...I know we get section assignments the Friday before Orientation, so does that mean we won't know our class schedule till then? Trying to buy plane tickets for a wedding in September and wondering what time I could leave Friday (ideally not missing class)...


Checking in! Pretty hyped to start law school in less than two weeks now!

People are reading books about how awful law school is? What's the point? I haven't done anything law school related all summer, I feel like I'm way less stressed about this whole thing than everyone else going to law school by reading these forums. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing haha.

Yea we won't know our exact class schedule until then probably, but it will probably be the same as last years so you could just ask a current student. Or if you wanted to be extra sure you could probably just call the registrars or admissions office at the law school and they'd be able to tell you probably what time would be safe.


By looking at the ten section schedules that were published I think it's safe to say that time-wise they are all pretty terrible compared to the TR-only schedule I had devised for myself for my last semester of undergrad. Just look at Section E! First class on Friday starts at 8:50 am and last one ends at 5:00 pm.

Wahoowa18
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby Wahoowa18 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:47 pm

february1 wrote:
Wahoowa18 wrote:
JuanitaFromTheDiner wrote:Moved in 2 weeks ago. Like everyone above, I'm ready to quit reading books about how awful law school is and start...I know we get section assignments the Friday before Orientation, so does that mean we won't know our class schedule till then? Trying to buy plane tickets for a wedding in September and wondering what time I could leave Friday (ideally not missing class)...


Checking in! Pretty hyped to start law school in less than two weeks now!

People are reading books about how awful law school is? What's the point? I haven't done anything law school related all summer, I feel like I'm way less stressed about this whole thing than everyone else going to law school by reading these forums. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing haha.

Yea we won't know our exact class schedule until then probably, but it will probably be the same as last years so you could just ask a current student. Or if you wanted to be extra sure you could probably just call the registrars or admissions office at the law school and they'd be able to tell you probably what time would be safe.


By looking at the ten section schedules that were published I think it's safe to say that time-wise they are all pretty terrible compared to the TR-only schedule I had devised for myself for my last semester of undergrad. Just look at Section E! First class on Friday starts at 8:50 am and last one ends at 5:00 pm.


Where were the section schedules published? I missed that.

User avatar
february1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby february1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Wahoowa18 wrote:
february1 wrote:
Wahoowa18 wrote:
JuanitaFromTheDiner wrote:Moved in 2 weeks ago. Like everyone above, I'm ready to quit reading books about how awful law school is and start...I know we get section assignments the Friday before Orientation, so does that mean we won't know our class schedule till then? Trying to buy plane tickets for a wedding in September and wondering what time I could leave Friday (ideally not missing class)...


Checking in! Pretty hyped to start law school in less than two weeks now!

People are reading books about how awful law school is? What's the point? I haven't done anything law school related all summer, I feel like I'm way less stressed about this whole thing than everyone else going to law school by reading these forums. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing haha.

Yea we won't know our exact class schedule until then probably, but it will probably be the same as last years so you could just ask a current student. Or if you wanted to be extra sure you could probably just call the registrars or admissions office at the law school and they'd be able to tell you probably what time would be safe.


By looking at the ten section schedules that were published I think it's safe to say that time-wise they are all pretty terrible compared to the TR-only schedule I had devised for myself for my last semester of undergrad. Just look at Section E! First class on Friday starts at 8:50 am and last one ends at 5:00 pm.


Where were the section schedules published? I missed that.


It's one of the links on this page: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/studen ... etails.htm.

You can also start planning for your final exams if you so choose.

Wahoowa18
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby Wahoowa18 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:10 pm

february1 wrote:
Wahoowa18 wrote:Where were the section schedules published? I missed that.


It's one of the links on this page: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/studen ... etails.htm.

You can also start planning for your final exams if you so choose.


Thanks for the link, man, I remember seeing that but didn't click the link for the section schedule the first time. You guys are really on the ball around here haha

User avatar
JuanitaFromTheDiner
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby JuanitaFromTheDiner » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks everyone! Not sure how, but also totally missed the link to first year class schedules, thank you February!

Fingers crossed I'm not in section E, but it's pretty nice to see no class ends later than 5pm. After being a 9-5'er for several years, I can plan to continue cocktail hour accordingly. Kidding. Sort of.

User avatar
february1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby february1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:34 pm

No problem! Just another way to break up the summer boredom a little bit before we find out the truly useful information in about a week or so.

efeinste
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby efeinste » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Rising 2L here. PM me if you want free textbooks.

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby TasmanianToucan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:35 am

Finally moved! Shoot me a PM if you're here and would like to hang.

User avatar
potatoes
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:58 am

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby potatoes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:58 pm

one. week.

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:51 am

It's so hard to believe that in one week we will actually be setting in class.

smile0751
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby smile0751 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Uh, how do I access Law Web? Is this something I missed in an email or buried on the website?

Edit: Nvm. Figured it out.

smile0751
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Postby smile0751 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:54 pm

So sections are up. Below are instructions lifted from UVA Class of 2018 page. Some syllabuses seem to be up too.

LawWeb -> Under Current Fall Courses on the left, click the link that says "canvas" or something. Then at the top is a link to "Courses." hen if you look at the classes offered for everyone, you can see when each class is offered for each section! (Back on the main page, under Curricular Info is a "current courses" link. Select Fall 2015, and they should all come up!)




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest