www.top-law-schools.com Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Br3v

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Post by Br3v » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:10 am

North wrote: Seconding Brev on C-ville being excellent.
8)

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:21 am

As long as I get a decent scholarship Id like to possibly be there in the fall!

Does anyone know anything about pet friendly housing options? I have a dog and don't wanna end up in some crappy apt. It's super hard to find pet friendly places here in Tally.
Last edited by Shelbinole on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:42 am

fra wrote:As a current Cville resident I can chime in on this. Charlottesville is amazing. There are a surprising number of things to do here. The restaurants and bars are amazing. I've heard that it has one of the highest numbers of restaurants per capita in the US.
There are also a ton of concerts/shows that come to Charlottesville, and you are only 2 hours from DC so you can go see anything there with minimal effort.

There are also amazingly fun things that you can only get in Charlottesville - for example Foxfield, which is basically a law school wide activity.

If Charlottesville is the only thing holding you back from deciding to go to UVa then you're bonkers. Charlottesville's the best.

ETA: everything_bagel is totally correct. The nature here is awesome. I know tons of people who do rock climbing / hiking/ camping pretty often. It can't be beat.
ALSO - Wineries. Drive 15 minutes (which is a fricking long drive in Charlottesville) and you can get to like 10 awesome wineries where you can watch polo matches or have lunch and wine while looking out over the most picturesque scenery you can imagine.
yeah I realize that I'd be a dullard to decline a dillard because of C-Ville

it sounds great and now im like 99% certain that I'll be heading to UVA next fall

can't wait to see all you guys IRL

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:49 am

Shelbinole wrote:As long as I get a halfway decent scholarship I should be there in the fall!

Does anyone know anything about pet friendly housing options? I have a dog and don't wanna end up in some crappy apt. It's super hard to find pet friendly places here in Tally.
Hey what's up fellow Nole

I have no firsthand knowledge, but I understand that there are several places on Arlington that are fine with pups (including Pavilion, but that's insanely expensive and there's pretty much no readily accessible outside space). There's a place right across the street from Pavilion that has little fenced-in backyard areas that you might want to check out.

Generally speaking, Arlington is where you want to be at least for 1L.

tal18

New

Post by tal18 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:49 am

This was my first acceptance two weeks ago and got me really pumped to consider the school! I haven't visited but I have a few friends there so I'm looking forward to doing that in the Spring, probably ASW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LahUGA

New

Post by LahUGA » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Hey everyone! Checking in. I got admitted last year and deferred so I'm 100% gonna see y'all in the fall. :D
But also, did somebody say we have to apply for certain apartment buildings in December? What was that?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:46 pm

LahUGA wrote:Hey everyone! Checking in. I got admitted last year and deferred so I'm 100% gonna see y'all in the fall. :D
But also, did somebody say we have to apply for certain apartment buildings in December? What was that?
yes, it's the Jeffersonian. I think lots of students live there because it's close, inexpensive, and fairly nice. personally I won't be applying - basically my only deal breaker is communal laundry haha
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:44 am

I looked at a bunch of the big apartment complexes this week because I was nearby for the holiday and I wanted to check out the town anyway. here are my thoughts, and I can expand if anybody is interested in one or two in particular. I also have pictures.

Pavilion at North Grounds: easy walking distance to the school, which is the main appeal. the community amenities and apartment finishes seem pretty high end (although I've heard bad things in the past, so idk). granite countertops, full size washer and dryer, walk in closets, etc. pretty modern. they're building a new phase currently, and apparently the construction sounds have been pretty annoying to current tenants, but that will be done by august 2015. I don't know if they have any construction planned for after that though. of course, the proximity to the law school + the high end finishes come at a price that's way higher than most places in charlottesville. one exception to that is...

Locust Grove: this is a brand new apartment complex (as in, nobody has moved in yet), and it's super nice. the apartments are gorgeous and it's close to downtown, but it's also MEGA expensive and about a 10 minute drive to the law school. I mostly looked at this one because I was curious.

Arden Place: they have a one bedroom that's GIGANTIC (900+ sqft.) and absolutely gorgeous. seems like a really nice community with lots of amenities. from what I saw, the location was kind of in the middle of nowhere though, and the closest thing nearby is a shopping center that appears to be dying other than a nice Fresh Market and a Taco Bell. I don't really know charlottesville though, so maybe I'm missing something. 10 minute drive from the law school, and also on the higher end pricing-wise, but if you're looking for tons of space with high end finishes, this seems like a great place to get it.

Reserve at Belvedere: closeby Arden Place iirc, so the same location issues apply. seems pretty similar to arden place in terms of community amenities and nice finishes, but with somewhat smaller floorplans and at somewhat lower prices. ~12 minutes from the law school.

Villas at Southern Ridge: two and three bedrooms only. seems like a pretty great value here price-wise — the two-bedroom I looked at was less expensive than all of the one-bedrooms listed above, and it seemed really nice inside too. the community amenities looked great online, but I didn't see them in person. ~10 minute drive from the law school.

Carriage Hill: seems like mostly old people, families, and young professionals. not a ton of grad students (and no undergrads allowed). the community features seemed super nice and are currently under construction (but will definitely be done by august). all of the units have private entrances, and a lot have garages. this seems like a great place to be if you have a family. 12 minutes from the law school.

Abbington Crossing: this place isn't super cheap, but it's relatively inexpensive, especially compared to places like Pavilion. it seems like a great value — the one bedrooms have really high end appliances, full-size washers and dryers, and bottom floor units have hardwood floors. the washer-dryers are stacked and in the kitchen though, so that was a little bit weird. 10 minutes from the law school.

Oxford Hill: I was expecting this one to be my favorite going in, but the unit I looked at was really weird and dark (for some reason the current tenant had like one dim lamp in the whole apartment), and the leasing agent kept talking about how most of the units had chicken wire covering one of the walls in the spare room (???). idk, I was disappointed, but it's in a huge complex with lots of UVA students so maybe I was just there on a bad day and in a bad unit. the leasing agent also warned that you definitely want to look at the actual unit you'll be renting before you sign a lease, because apparently some are awful. he really didn't seem like he was trying to sell me, haha. the "madhouse" (the community clubhouse that covers oxford hill along with a few other complexes in the area) was really nice though. 6 minutes from the law school, more in the area of main grounds.

anyway, overall all of these places (except for oxford hill, but that seemed like it could have been a one-off weird experience) seemed super nice. I'd be happy living in any of them I think, though my SO (who will be paying living expenses) is heavily leaning toward Pavilion, of the places we saw.

disclaimer, I don't think that this is representative of most people's apartment hunt, since I didn't look at that many places that were super close to the law school and I was only looking at places with washer/dryers in unit because I have a weird hang-up about that. and obviously, most of them aren't leasing for august any time soon (though Pavilion is). I just thought it'd be cool to check some places out while I was here anyway bc I'm a weird HGTV junkie who thinks looking at apartments is fun.
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Great job on the thread xylocarp! Also great job on UVA being the first to the C/O 2018 forum. Congrats to all of you! I've been a terrible TLS-er this semester - true testament to how fun (and distracting) C-ville is (for those of you worried about that aspect). We'll all see each other during ASW, but if y'all want to get together outside of the law school definitely set it up! It will give you a chance to see areas other than North Grounds. Congrats again!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lions1913

Bronze

Post by Lions1913 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Last edited by Lions1913 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for these awesome details, xylo! If anyone has a chance to check out lower -budget places and is willing to share impressions here it would be so so appreciated!

Is everyone planning to bring a car?

ETA I have no idea what the price points in xylo's post are but since I am a lazy slob and dgaf about communal laundry I thought I'd throw it out there
Last edited by everything_bagel on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hangree

New

Post by hangree » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:33 am

Checking in! Accepted before Thanksgiving. What an honor.
everything_bagel wrote:Thanks for these awesome details, xylo! If anyone has a chance to check out lower -budget places and is willing to share impressions here it would be so so appreciated! Love from the other side of the world :(

ETA I have no idea what the price points in xylo's post are but since I am a lazy slob and dgaf about communal laundry I thought I'd throw it out there
I'm planning to bring my car.

I think the buildings in xylo's post are a little out of my price range as well. I do, however, make private laundry a major priority so my findings may not be relevant to you, but I've bookmarked a couple of one bedroom apartments around the $900/mo price point: Norcross station, Eagles landing, Abbington crossing. I know absolutely nothing about Charlottesville so I have no idea how close these buildings are to campus.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:36 am

hangree wrote:Checking in! Accepted before Thanksgiving. What an honor.
everything_bagel wrote:Thanks for these awesome details, xylo! If anyone has a chance to check out lower -budget places and is willing to share impressions here it would be so so appreciated! Love from the other side of the world :(

I'm planning to bring my car.

I think the buildings in xylo's post are a little out of my price range as well. I do, however, make private laundry a major priority so my findings may not be relevant to you, but I've bookmarked a couple of one bedroom apartments around the $900/mo price point: Norcross station, Eagles landing, Abbington crossing. I know absolutely nothing about Charlottesville so I have no idea how close these buildings are to campus.
Abbington Crossing seemed really nice. especially the one-bedrooms, if that's what you're looking at.

btw, update: I am now adamantly anti-Pavilion. I don't want to disclose much publicly, but feel free to PM me if you want to know why. DOWN WITH PAVILION
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

darla2013

New

Post by darla2013 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:52 am

Are we gonna get an agenda for ASW at any point? I guess I'm spoiled and expecting one because of michigan's nice little itinerary, but I also could have missed info that was already sent out. If the answer is no...any 1Ls care to elaborate on what happened this past spring?

beingreal

New

Post by beingreal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:16 pm

RCO2012 wrote:Great job on the thread xylocarp! Also great job on UVA being the first to the C/O 2018 forum. Congrats to all of you! I've been a terrible TLS-er this semester - true testament to how fun (and distracting) C-ville is (for those of you worried about that aspect). We'll all see each other during ASW, but if y'all want to get together outside of the law school definitely set it up! It will give you a chance to see areas other than North Grounds. Congrats again!
Hey guys, current 1L at UVA and have followed RCO2012's posts quite a bit. I do not know who he is personally and do not wish to attack him, however I have been following his posts since last year and just want to advise everyone to take his advice with a grain of salt. I have seen many comments that looking back were not only wrong but have the danger to mislead people. In addition, please only discuss your personal financial aid questions with those in the financial aid office, not random people asking you to PM them on this forum.

UVA Law is a great and accepting environment and remember that one person is not representative of all of us. Best of luck with you decisions!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:43 pm

darla2013 wrote:Are we gonna get an agenda for ASW at any point? I guess I'm spoiled and expecting one because of michigan's nice little itinerary, but I also could have missed info that was already sent out. If the answer is no...any 1Ls care to elaborate on what happened this past spring?
I was an admitted student that went to ASW a few years ago and it's basically like all other ASWs. On Friday, check in and Dean speech and a BBQ in the courtyard with kegs, followed by the bar review. On Saturday it's a few mock classes and seminars on financial aid, clinics and stuff like that.

And I'll add that you should try to meet as many ppl as possible at ASW. I'm still friends w/ a bunch of UVA students even though I didn't end up attending and have noticed that the groups of friends that formed at ASW stayed largely the same throughout law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:32 am

ASW will be different this year. Fun time in store for you all ;).

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:36 am

beingreal wrote:Hey guys, current 1L at UVA and have followed RCO2012's posts quite a bit. I do not know who he is personally and do not wish to attack him, however I have been following his posts since last year and just want to advise everyone to take his advice with a grain of salt. I have seen many comments that looking back were not only wrong but have the danger to mislead people. In addition, please only discuss your personal financial aid questions with those in the financial aid office, not random people asking you to PM them on this forum.

UVA Law is a great and accepting environment and remember that one person is not representative of all of us. Best of luck with you decisions!
Shots fired?

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:32 am

Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. Words of wisdom for online in general. No shots fired. With fin aid stuff, I agree with the above poster, but w/r/t general questions about previous cycles, I know pointing admits in the direction of data from past cycles can calm the nerves.

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:56 pm

beingreal wrote:Hey guys, current 1L at UVA and have followed RCO2012's posts quite a bit. I do not know who he is personally and do not wish to attack him, however I have been following his posts since last year and just want to advise everyone to take his advice with a grain of salt. I have seen many comments that looking back were not only wrong but have the danger to mislead people. In addition, please only discuss your personal financial aid questions with those in the financial aid office, not random people asking you to PM them on this forum.

this is so weird and intense without examples

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:35 pm

so I got a check in the mail today from UVA for $250. it says "admitted student travel subsidy," but I never requested anything like this and it didn't come with a letter explaining it or anything. I am super confused haha. did anyone else get this?
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:50 pm

xylocarp wrote:so I got a check in the mail today from UVA for $250. it says "admitted student travel subsidy," but I never requested anything like this and it didn't come with a letter explaining it or anything. I am super confused haha. did anyone else get this?
I won't be able to get to my mailbox till a couple weeks. Does it say anything about it in your status checker under "mailings"?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:52 pm

pulstar1 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:so I got a check in the mail today from UVA for $250. it says "admitted student travel subsidy," but I never requested anything like this and it didn't come with a letter explaining it or anything. I am super confused haha. did anyone else get this?
I won't be able to get to my mailbox till a couple weeks. Does it say anything about it in your status checker under "mailings"?
nope, I still only have one mailing ("applicant status online email")
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chelseamorgan

New

Post by chelseamorgan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Checking in! Got my acceptance phone call two days ago so now I'll be eagerly awaiting my packet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”