www.top-law-schools.com Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:54 am

pulstar1 wrote:checking in.

Does anyone here think of UVA's location in Charlottesville as a pro rather than a con?

C-ville is pretty much the only reason I don't want to commit at this moment. The Dillard makes UVA my best choice by pretty much all objective criteria... although I'm not opposed to making objectively bad decisions.
why would it be a con lol

I guess if you only like really big cities or something, but it seems really nice to me

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:04 am

james.bungles wrote:
pulstar1 wrote:checking in.

Does anyone here think of UVA's location in Charlottesville as a pro rather than a con?

C-ville is pretty much the only reason I don't want to commit at this moment. The Dillard makes UVA my best choice by pretty much all objective criteria... although I'm not opposed to making objectively bad decisions.
why would it be a con lol

I guess if you only like really big cities or something, but it seems really nice to me
Idk it's a nice looking town but it just seems to me that cville is comprised of just UVA and that one street (that downtown mall area). It doesnt seem like there would be as much to do there as the would be in ... well... literally any city that a T-14 is located in (minus New Haven maybe).

I visited over the summer, but I didnt stay for very long so maybe I didnt do enough exploring. But UVA law students generally seem to be having a good time so I guess I shouldnt worry about it too much.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:48 am

I find Charlottesville quite charming personally, and I love love love the COL. I've lived in a big city with lots of nightlife for a few years now though so I'm ready for change. UVA students do seem to have a lot of fun, so I'm not worried about getting bored.
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:01 am

xylocarp wrote:I find Charlottesville quite charming personally, and I love love love the COL. I've lived in a big city with lots of nightlife for a few years now though so I'm ready for change. UVA students do seem to have a lot of fun, so I'm not worried about getting bored.
+1 on COL. I love cities too, pulstar, but what's the point of wracking up debt+interest when you won't even have time or $ to enjoy them?

I think the biggest pull of Charlottesville is the proximity of awesome nature.
Last edited by everything_bagel on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:22 am

As a current Cville resident I can chime in on this. Charlottesville is amazing. There are a surprising number of things to do here. The restaurants and bars are amazing. I've heard that it has one of the highest numbers of restaurants per capita in the US.
There are also a ton of concerts/shows that come to Charlottesville, and you are only 2 hours from DC so you can go see anything there with minimal effort.

There are also amazingly fun things that you can only get in Charlottesville - for example Foxfield, which is basically a law school wide activity.

If Charlottesville is the only thing holding you back from deciding to go to UVa then you're bonkers. Charlottesville's the best.

ETA: everything_bagel is totally correct. The nature here is awesome. I know tons of people who do rock climbing / hiking/ camping pretty often. It can't be beat.
ALSO - Wineries. Drive 15 minutes (which is a fricking long drive in Charlottesville) and you can get to like 10 awesome wineries where you can watch polo matches or have lunch and wine while looking out over the most picturesque scenery you can imagine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:42 am

Re:housing, TCR is Ivy Apartments unless you are married/have a SO/don't want to party often.

liawy

New

Post by liawy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:29 pm

So I went to visit UVA today (was visiting my sister down there so it was a good time to stop by the law school).
I met with the admissions guy who interviewed me as well as a professor who is an advisor for Dillards.
Definitely let the admissions office know ahead of time if you plan on visiting on your own before that weekend in March. They're super into organizing things for you to do.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 pm

liawy wrote:So I went to visit UVA today (was visiting my sister down there so it was a good time to stop by the law school).
I met with the admissions guy who interviewed me as well as a professor who is an advisor for Dillards.
Definitely let the admissions office know ahead of time if you plan on visiting on your own before that weekend in March. They're super into organizing things for you to do.
Impressions?

liawy

New

Post by liawy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Campus was nice. They just redid a lot of the buildings apparently so it's all new (disclaimer: my college is located in three super run down buildings with an average of .5 functioning toilets per floor so I could be a little biased).
The law school is a bit separate though not too far from the university campus so it's pretty quiet. The buildings are continuous with each other around a central courtyard and there's a lot of places to study.
The professor I talked to was super nice and very open about pros and cons of attending under the Dillard.
Everyone I saw had their head buried in a book or was sitting around and studying with friends. I mentioned this to the professor who said it's just that time of the year. Usually people are more relaxed.
Overall, I quite liked it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:34 pm

liawy wrote:Campus was nice. They just redid a lot of the buildings apparently so it's all new (disclaimer: my college is located in three super run down buildings with an average of .5 functioning toilets per floor so I could be a little biased).
The law school is a bit separate though not too far from the university campus so it's pretty quiet. The buildings are continuous with each other around a central courtyard and there's a lot of places to study.
The professor I talked to was super nice and very open about pros and cons of attending under the Dillard.
Everyone I saw had their head buried in a book or was sitting around and studying with friends. I mentioned this to the professor who said it's just that time of the year. Usually people are more relaxed.
please elaborate on this if you don't mind!
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:20 pm

xylocarp wrote:
liawy wrote:Campus was nice. They just redid a lot of the buildings apparently so it's all new (disclaimer: my college is located in three super run down buildings with an average of .5 functioning toilets per floor so I could be a little biased).
please elaborate on this if you don't mind!
+1
I am very curious to know about the downsides of a full-tuition scholarship

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Might get called a nerd

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:30 pm

james.bungles wrote:Might get called a nerd
people will probably call you worse things if you go around telling randos the dollar amount UVA offered you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

liawy

New

Post by liawy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:15 am

Overall, he said that the school isn't too competitive. But he seemed to be hinting that there might be the tinniest bit of resentment floating around.
And he basically said that going to a lower ranked school (though I mean it's not like UVA is far down haha) may eventually hurt your chances slightly for jobs that care a lot about prestige of the law school, especially because the Dillard isn't as well known as some other scholarship programs.
Wasn't anything that made me fall off my chair and bolt for the door but it was interesting that he mentioned them.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi everyone! Excited to visit Charlottesville. The location is a pro for me because it seems like a nice place + I have a crazy dog.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:49 pm

hillz wrote:Hi everyone! Excited to visit Charlottesville. The location is a pro for me because it seems like a nice place + I have a crazy dog.
hooray!!!! hi hillz :D

curlietop86

Bronze

Post by curlietop86 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:26 pm

curlietop86 wrote:joining this thread - just admitted at the end of my conversation with dean faulk!!

dillards, when did you hear about your scholarship?
The day after I interviewed!

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 pm

xylocarp wrote:
hillz wrote:Hi everyone! Excited to visit Charlottesville. The location is a pro for me because it seems like a nice place + I have a crazy dog.
hooray!!!! hi hillz :D

Hiiiii!

UVA Pros
Xylo
Cheap housing
Nice admissions staff
Close to DC

curlietop86

Bronze

Post by curlietop86 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

dyrg

New

Post by dyrg » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Checking in! So happy I love UVA!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:10 am

Congrats everyone. Jesus , I'll be a 3L when you guys show up.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 pm

North wrote:Congrats everyone. Jesus , I'll be a 3L when you guys show up.
Why did you choose UVA?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Happy to answer questions. Good luck!

And I personally chose UVA for utility reasons. Was a great school (jobs) that I had a good shot at getting accepted to. Turns out this is a really awesome city to live three years in.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:20 pm

hillz wrote:
North wrote:Congrats everyone. Jesus , I'll be a 3L when you guys show up.
Why did you choose UVA?
Same reasons as Brev, but I was also certain I wanted to work in the Southeast after LS. UVA can get you to a secondary market in the Southeast pretty well (note: it's still really hard to do) and better than the other T14s (save Duke, but they didn't take splitters when I applied).

Seconding Brev on C-ville being excellent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”