www.top-law-schools.com Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
BorisDiaw

New

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Post by BorisDiaw » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:49 pm

sooooo many options on activities. I just sent the survey to a 2L friend who's helping out with orientation to see what he advises.

Regarding living quarters: I found Arlington Court Condos on the student housing website. The apartment doesn't look to be luxurious but I plopped my name on a lease without seeing it because 1) it was cheaper than the big three (Ivy, Jeffersonian & Pavilion) and 2) it's a 2 minute walk to the school. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be a shambolic locale.

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Yeah, I found myself torn between the groups I wanted to get to know and the activities that seemed best. Why isn't every group doing ice cream??

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:22 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:Why isn't every group doing ice cream??
Exact same thought went through my mind. What other activities are there during orientation?

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:35 pm

smile0751 wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:Why isn't every group doing ice cream??
Exact same thought went through my mind. What other activities are there during orientation?
I think the email they sent out a few weeks ago had a skeleton itinerary - seems like it's a lot of getting to know your section, advisors, faculty, that kind of stuff.

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:37 pm

jj2014 wrote:If we don't get our class schedules until orientation are we basically forced to buy the books at the bookstore, or is there usually enough time to order from Amazon before we need them?
No idea - maybe ask in the current students thread?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:49 am

Anyone else moved to Charlottesville yet?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:35 am

smile0751 wrote:Anyone else moved to Charlottesville yet?
I'm in the process currently! Won't be down for good for another week or so though.
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:36 pm

smile0751 wrote:Anyone else moved to Charlottesville yet?
In a few weeks. We should definitely organize something once we're all here!

february1

New

Post by february1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:51 pm

I am so ready to get started...this summer is killing me. Anyone else tired of hearing endless horror stories about law school? Very few from people who actually went to UVA tho - hoping that makes a difference!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 pm

february1 wrote:I am so ready to get started...this summer is killing me. Anyone else tired of hearing endless horror stories about law school? Very few from people who actually went to UVA tho - hoping that makes a difference!
law school is seriously fine. a little stressful around exam times, but otherwise nbd

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:24 pm

february1 wrote:I am so ready to get started...this summer is killing me. Anyone else tired of hearing endless horror stories about law school? Very few from people who actually went to UVA tho - hoping that makes a difference!

I'm ready too. I quit my job over a month ago, and while I've been appreciating my time off.... I'm ready to meet people and get started!!!

JuanitaFromTheDiner

New

Post by JuanitaFromTheDiner » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Moved in 2 weeks ago. Like everyone above, I'm ready to quit reading books about how awful law school is and start...I know we get section assignments the Friday before Orientation, so does that mean we won't know our class schedule till then? Trying to buy plane tickets for a wedding in September and wondering what time I could leave Friday (ideally not missing class)...

Wahoowa18

New

Post by Wahoowa18 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:23 pm

JuanitaFromTheDiner wrote:Moved in 2 weeks ago. Like everyone above, I'm ready to quit reading books about how awful law school is and start...I know we get section assignments the Friday before Orientation, so does that mean we won't know our class schedule till then? Trying to buy plane tickets for a wedding in September and wondering what time I could leave Friday (ideally not missing class)...
Checking in! Pretty hyped to start law school in less than two weeks now!

People are reading books about how awful law school is? What's the point? I haven't done anything law school related all summer, I feel like I'm way less stressed about this whole thing than everyone else going to law school by reading these forums. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing haha.

Yea we won't know our exact class schedule until then probably, but it will probably be the same as last years so you could just ask a current student. Or if you wanted to be extra sure you could probably just call the registrars or admissions office at the law school and they'd be able to tell you probably what time would be safe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

february1

New

Post by february1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Wahoowa18 wrote:
JuanitaFromTheDiner wrote:Moved in 2 weeks ago. Like everyone above, I'm ready to quit reading books about how awful law school is and start...I know we get section assignments the Friday before Orientation, so does that mean we won't know our class schedule till then? Trying to buy plane tickets for a wedding in September and wondering what time I could leave Friday (ideally not missing class)...

People are reading books about how awful law school is? What's the point? I haven't done anything law school related all summer, I feel like I'm way less stressed about this whole thing than everyone else going to law school by reading these forums. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing haha.

Yea we won't know our exact class schedule until then probably, but it will probably be the same as last years so you could just ask a current student. Or if you wanted to be extra sure you could probably just call the registrars or admissions office at the law school and they'd be able to tell you probably what time would be safe.
By looking at the ten section schedules that were published I think it's safe to say that time-wise they are all pretty terrible compared to the TR-only schedule I had devised for myself for my last semester of undergrad. Just look at Section E! First class on Friday starts at 8:50 am and last one ends at 5:00 pm.

Wahoowa18

New

Post by Wahoowa18 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:47 pm

february1 wrote:
Wahoowa18 wrote:

By looking at the ten section schedules that were published I think it's safe to say that time-wise they are all pretty terrible compared to the TR-only schedule I had devised for myself for my last semester of undergrad. Just look at Section E! First class on Friday starts at 8:50 am and last one ends at 5:00 pm.
Where were the section schedules published? I missed that.

february1

New

Post by february1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Wahoowa18 wrote:
february1 wrote:
Wahoowa18 wrote:

Where were the section schedules published? I missed that.
It's one of the links on this page: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/studen ... etails.htm.

You can also start planning for your final exams if you so choose.

Wahoowa18

New

Post by Wahoowa18 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:10 pm

february1 wrote:
Wahoowa18 wrote: Where were the section schedules published? I missed that.
It's one of the links on this page: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/studen ... etails.htm.

You can also start planning for your final exams if you so choose.
Thanks for the link, man, I remember seeing that but didn't click the link for the section schedule the first time. You guys are really on the ball around here haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JuanitaFromTheDiner

New

Post by JuanitaFromTheDiner » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks everyone! Not sure how, but also totally missed the link to first year class schedules, thank you February!

Fingers crossed I'm not in section E, but it's pretty nice to see no class ends later than 5pm. After being a 9-5'er for several years, I can plan to continue cocktail hour accordingly. Kidding. Sort of.

february1

New

Post by february1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:34 pm

No problem! Just another way to break up the summer boredom a little bit before we find out the truly useful information in about a week or so.

efeinste

New

Post by efeinste » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Rising 2L here. PM me if you want free textbooks.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:35 am

Finally moved! Shoot me a PM if you're here and would like to hang.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

potatoes

New

Post by potatoes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:58 pm

one. week.

Nothing but the Funk

Bronze

Post by Nothing but the Funk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:51 am

It's so hard to believe that in one week we will actually be setting in class.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Uh, how do I access Law Web? Is this something I missed in an email or buried on the website?

Edit: Nvm. Figured it out.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:54 pm

So sections are up. Below are instructions lifted from UVA Class of 2018 page. Some syllabuses seem to be up too.

LawWeb -> Under Current Fall Courses on the left, click the link that says "canvas" or something. Then at the top is a link to "Courses." hen if you look at the classes offered for everyone, you can see when each class is offered for each section! (Back on the main page, under Curricular Info is a "current courses" link. Select Fall 2015, and they should all come up!)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”