T20JD Law School Advisors - Admissions Help Forum

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
Tracy_T20

New

T20JD Law School Advisors - Admissions Help

Post by Tracy_T20 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:28 pm

It's easier to hike Mount Ever­est in heels than figuring out the law school application process. There are two types of people that go to law school: (1) those who have lawyers in their families (who have the upper hand), and (2) everyone else. I fell into the latter. If you are like I was, you know you have to take the LSAT and apply to law school. That’s about as much as I knew. But there is a whole slew of information out there that you need in order to make the best decisions.

For example: what law school should you apply to? Once accepted, which law school should you choose? If a lower ranked law school is offering you financial aid but a higher ranked law school that accepted you isn’t, what to do? Is it worth going to a lower ranked law school? Should you strategize based on transferring after your 1L year?

Here, at T20JD we've been through the same thing. We graduated from two top-notch law schools (Harvard and the University of Minnesota), we are still connected in the legal employment arena ("Big Law" and public sector), and we understand how to get you to where you want to go.

We are also offering a free 30-minute consultation for anyone with questions or anxieties about law school. Reach out to me (Tracy) through (1) this forum, (2) the website http://www.t20jd.com, (3) my email at tracy@t20jd.com, or (4) call me or text at (818) 821-0652.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Re: T20JD Law School Advisors - Admissions Help

Post by bitter_melon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:38 am

Tracy_T20 wrote:It's easier to hike Mount Ever­est in heels than figuring out the law school application process.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... nt_Everest

hcss11

New

Post by hcss11 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the work you do here.

I have a question mainly about contextual admissions metrics: I'm a URM (AA, LGBT) with a 3.4 coming from a state school. Since I was a transfer student with my GPA from my original school being a 2.9, I estimate LSAC will average my overall GPA to a 3.1 (am I right about this?).

Like many on these boards, I want to attend a top 13 program. With this in mind, I'm studying extremely hard for the LSAT, with the the intent to utilize my hybrid career (startup + politics/policy/nonprofit boards—my LinkedIn profile is in your DM) to leverage a legal career at the intersection of social good and innovation. After having done a good bit of research, I seem to be seeing that URMs, even with below-median stats in one area (mine would be my GPA), can still gain admission to these schools if their remaining stat, the LSAT, is at or above median for the school they want to attend.

Is this true? I'm asking you specifically since you're an admissions counselor and I'm not, but I would love some clarity in this area if you can provide it. Thanks a bunch and I hope to hear from you.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Tracy_T20 wrote:http://www.t20jd.com
Your website does not work/is down (just a heads up).

If it helps at all since I had to go through a whole mess of hosts (although I suspect the nature of my website requires significantly more resources to run), GoDaddy CPanel worked best for me. I tried BlueHost, and they are good if you are semi-technical but hard on the back end. Hostgator did not work for me, and I found the access to the back end on my type of hosting to be extremely lacking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”