Former T14 Dean of Admissions taking your questions Forum

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
ms9

Gold

Re: Former T14 Dean of Admissions taking your questions

Post by ms9 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Is Spivey going to require you to change your tar to some kind of fox?
Good question. I imagine our lawyers discussed for a few dozen hours and will send us the bill.

iceballoon

New

Post by iceballoon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:56 pm

deanmeekerconsulting wrote:
Smoking Gunner wrote:
iceballoon wrote:Hi Dean Meeker,

Thanks for your super informative and helpful posts!

I'm pessimistic about my situation. I only got LSAT 164 at the third attempt with a 3.83 GPA, which means I can't retake recently.

I only have worked in a start-up in my home country, but graduated from an American college. Since that start-up was small and newly established with less employees, I worked with its CEO&Founder and reviewed contracts and contacted with legal counsels for her. I was learning to analyze and helping to revise some clauses under professional helps. And it's a chance to know how a start-up to run and grow and what legal helps and supports it needs. However, I worked there only for several months. So I doubt whether this experience can help my application. Overall, I think I got a very slim chance to get in T14 and don't know if I should apply the 2015-2016 cycle or not.

Thank you!

A friend of mine got into GULC, Cornell, UVA, and Duke this cycle with a 164/3.8, and he doesn't have any softs or real work experience, so it's definitely possible for you to get into a T14. The real question is how you'll be financing law school. If you're taking out loans I would probably go for a T2 with a significant scholly, or rethink law school all together. I'm sure Dean Meeker can speak more to this, but that's just my 2 cents.
It is definitely worth applying to T14 schools at which your GPA is at or above median, and there are several. You might also consider applying ED to your top choice. (In any case, it is important that you submit your apps in general very early in the process.) The strong academic record, combined with solid LORs, excellent essays, and a clear articulation of why you are interested in law school and what your career goals are will significantly improve your chances. That said, you will want to apply broadly given the LSAT, and have plenty of target schools in the 15-25 range. (And possibly even broader for greater scholarship consideration as the the post above notes.)
Thanks for your advice!

I rechecked my LSAC account and found it allows me to retake October test in a mind before that the earliest date I can retake is December. But I don't know whether I should take 4th attempt. If the same score and even worse lower one comes out, it can hurt my application. If I apply before I take the 4th test or get score, should I indicate to schools that a new score is en route? Or if it comes out great, then reapply in the same cycle? Do I have that option? I know higher score definitely booster my chance, but really need to consider upsides and downsides.
Sorry for those following questions and thank you again!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Congrats Dean Meeker!

DerekMeeker

Bronze

Post by DerekMeeker » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:17 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Is Spivey going to require you to change your tar to some kind of fox?
Good question. I imagine our lawyers discussed for a few dozen hours and will send us the bill.
I believe their conclusion was a silver fox.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:39 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
I believe their conclusion was a silver fox.
Haha, that was good. You are okay in my book, Dean Meeker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:23 pm

haus wrote:Congrats Dean Meeker!
+1

DerekMeeker

Bronze

Post by DerekMeeker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi, everyone,

Thank you for visiting this thread and for your messages. Please note, as I am now part of the Spivey Consulting team, this thread will be locked. I encourage you to visit the Spivey thread and post questions there.

All the best,
Derek 'Dean' Meeker

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”