Odyssey's Free LG Explanations + Q&A Forum

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
Jon McCarty

New

Odyssey's Free LG Explanations + Q&A

Post by Jon McCarty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Here are links to Odyssey's Free Logic Games explanation videos for PrepTests 56-72.

Don't forget to comment, like, and subscribe to help me keep making free resources like this available.

Odyssey YouTube Channel

June 2007 PrepTest _ Game 1
June 2007 PrepTest _ Game 2
June 2007 PrepTest _ Game 3
June 2007 PrepTest _ Game 4

PrepTest 56 _ Game 1
PrepTest 56 _ Game 2
PrepTest 56 _ Game 3
PrepTest 56 _ Game 4

PrepTest 57 _ Game 1
PrepTest 57 _ Game 2
PrepTest 57 _ Game 3
PrepTest 57 _ Game 4

PrepTest 58 _ Game 1
PrepTest 58 _ Game 2
PrepTest 58 _ Game 3
PrepTest 58 _ Game 4

PrepTest 59 _ Game 1
PrepTest 59 _ Game 2
PrepTest 59 _ Game 3
PrepTest 59 _ Game 4

PrepTest 60 _ Game 1
PrepTest 60 _ Game 2
PrepTest 60 _ Game 3
PrepTest 60 _ Game 4

PrepTest 61 _ Game 1
PrepTest 61 _ Game 2
PrepTest 61 _ Game 3
PrepTest 61 _ Game 4

PrepTest 62 _ Game 1
PrepTest 62 _ Game 2
PrepTest 62 _ Game 3
PrepTest 62 _ Game 4

PrepTest 63 _ Game 1
PrepTest 63 _ Game 2
PrepTest 63 _ Game 3
PrepTest 63 _ Game 4

PrepTest 64 _ Game 1
PrepTest 64 _ Game 2
PrepTest 64 _ Game 3
PrepTest 64 _ Game 4

PrepTest 65 _ Game 1
PrepTest 65 _ Game 2
PrepTest 65 _ Game 3
PrepTest 65 _ Game 4

PrepTest 66 _ Game 1
PrepTest 66 _ Game 2
PrepTest 66 _ Game 3
PrepTest 66 _ Game 4

PrepTest 67 _ Game 1
PrepTest 67 _ Game 2
PrepTest 67 _ Game 3
PrepTest 67 _ Game 4

PrepTest 68 _ Game 1
PrepTest 68 _ Game 2
PrepTest 68 _ Game 3
PrepTest 68 _ Game 4

PrepTest 69 _ Game 1
PrepTest 69 _ Game 2
PrepTest 69 _ Game 3
PrepTest 69 _ Game 4

PrepTest 70 _ Game 1
PrepTest 70 _ Game 2
PrepTest 70 _ Game 3
PrepTest 70 _ Game 4

PrepTest 71 _ Game 1
PrepTest 71 _ Game 2
PrepTest 71 _ Game 3
PrepTest 71 _ Game 4

PrepTest 72 _ Game 1
PrepTest 72 _ Game 2
PrepTest 72 _ Game 3
PrepTest 72 _ Game 4

Since PrepTests 1-55, A, B, and C are compiled into the Odyssey Online Logic Games Course, I figured I'd put the explanations for PrepTests 56-present on YouTube to be freely available to everyone.

Hope this helps you out! If you have any questions about the LSAT then ask away, I'm happy to help in any way I can.
Last edited by Jon McCarty on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Jon McCarty

New

Re: Odyssey's Free Logic Games Course + LG Q&A

Post by Jon McCarty » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Due to copyright issues I can't show the Games on the Youtube videos but you can visit my other site, Every LSAT, to download the Games and follow along.

All these resources have the Logic Games in the current 2-page format, a necessity for serious studiers.

Free Stuff:
Free LSAT Practice Test (June '07)
LSAT Virtual Proctor/Timer
LSAT PrepTest Analyzer
Consolidated LSAT Answer Keys
Consolidated LSAT Score Conversion Tables

Paid Stuff:
4-Section PrepTests
5-Section PrepTests

LG Sections
LR Sections
RC Sections

LG Drills by Type
LR Drills by Type
RC Drills by Type
Last edited by Jon McCarty on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:04 pm

cool, thanks.

I've been doing the Cambridge games over and over and over and still aren't where I'd like to be on games. I'll check this out over the weekend and try to get back to you.

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:25 pm

I'd love to hear what you think!

You may want to check out my self-study website http://everylsat.com for drilling sets as well, all of the games are converted to the current 2-page format and they're only $2.50.
Last edited by Jon McCarty on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Reagan

New

Post by Jack Reagan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Glad to see you're back, I've had some time to go through the course since your last thread and I'm now recommending that my students use it to improve their games. Solid resource, the navigation is a little tricky though, you may want to work on that. Otherwise it's great! Hopefully we'll get an LR and RC revolution soon?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback! The website developers have done quite a bit of work on the navigation and overall usability of the online system this weekend so hopefully it's more intuitive now. I'm starting work on the Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension sections soon, but it will be a while until final products are ready.

cavalier2015

Bronze

Post by cavalier2015 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:17 am

Wanted to briefly give me experience with this. I found the videos VERY helpful. It's a bit of a different approach than what I was used to with 7sage but it offers insights that other services couldn't. The way he breaks down the question is really helpful for me. Plus I like the way how he didn't force splitting or diagramming everything and let the questions sometime dictate the diagrams. This saves a lot of time. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for the efforts!

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:47 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:Wanted to briefly give me experience with this. I found the videos VERY helpful. It's a bit of a different approach than what I was used to with 7sage but it offers insights that other services couldn't. The way he breaks down the question is really helpful for me. Plus I like the way how he didn't force splitting or diagramming everything and let the questions sometime dictate the diagrams. This saves a lot of time. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for the efforts!
Thanks for sharing your experience!

lsat_hopefull

New

Post by lsat_hopefull » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:09 pm

You seem to be extremely knowledgeable about the logic games sextion of the test. I am having an awful time even finishing the section on the practice tests I have been taking. I usually only get about 2 and 1/2 questions finished regardless of accuracy in my amswers. Do have any advice on how to study for this section? Also, any ideas on how to get faster in this section of the test? Thanks in advance for your help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:28 pm

The first thing that you'll need to do is learn all of the different strategies for the different game types. Without having sound strategies your timing will be hard to improve. After you learn the strategies you must drill Games to get comfortable using them. Then, and only then, can you start to think about timing. It's best to learn a Game type, drill that Game type until you feel extremely comfortable with it, then move on to the next Game type.

Click on the link in my first post in this thread and start looking around. I know that there's a ton of information in there but don't get overwhelmed, just start with some logic games explanations to games that you've already completed to get a feel for the material. After that, start working through one of the courses. There's a lot more in the courses than just explanations to Games, there are breakdowns for every type of Game as well as advanced strategies. I've included everything you need to be successful on the Logic Games section in the courses (with the exception of PrepTests, you'll need to have those already).

If you could answer a few questions then I can give you more specific advice:

When are you planning on taking the LSAT?
How long have you been studying?
What LG strategies have you been employing thus far?
How many PrepTests have you taken and how many do you currently have?
Is there a particular game type that is difficult for you?
How many total questions are you getting correct in the LG section?

lsat_hopefull

New

Post by lsat_hopefull » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Jon McCarty wrote:The first thing that you'll need to do is learn all of the different strategies for the different game types. Without having sound strategies your timing will be hard to improve. After you learn the strategies you must drill Games to get comfortable using them. Then, and only then, can you start to think about timing. It's best to learn a Game type, drill that Game type until you feel extremely comfortable with it, then move on to the next Game type.

Click on the link in my first post in this thread and start looking around. I know that there's a ton of information in there but don't get overwhelmed, just start with some logic games explanations to games that you've already completed to get a feel for the material. After that, start working through one of the courses. There's a lot more in the courses than just explanations to Games, there are breakdowns for every type of Game as well as advanced strategies. I've included everything you need to be successful on the Logic Games section in the courses (with the exception of PrepTests, you'll need to have those already).

I meant games not questions in my original post. Thanks for picking up on that. My answers to your questions:

1. I was originally planning to take the september lsat, but with the trouble I have been having I am going to delay until the december lsat.
2. I have been making a really concerted effort for about the last month
3. I don't really have a specific strategy. Someone else in one of the other threads on this forum suggested the Power Score bible, so I have been using those books.
4. I have taken 5 prep tests so far, but I have about 20 more I can take.
5. Pretty much all of them are difficult for me. I have had the most success on ordering games...
6. 10-12; sometimes more if I am lucky

Thanks for help!

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Hey, I'm doing the 16 week course, so far I like it.

I really liked the part where you said we should focus on inferences more at the beginning, and that people skip them often when they are so important. A bad habit I think I do sometimes. This reminder alone helped a lot, I want to develop good habits. I know you mentioned as an exercise doing 2 minutes for looking for inferences just to break the habit, but how long would you say on a timed game? Do you just stop when no more pop in your head from trying to put rules together ?

thanks.

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:51 pm

lsat_hopefull wrote:
Jon McCarty wrote:The first thing that you'll need to do is learn all of the different strategies for the different game types. Without having sound strategies your timing will be hard to improve. After you learn the strategies you must drill Games to get comfortable using them. Then, and only then, can you start to think about timing. It's best to learn a Game type, drill that Game type until you feel extremely comfortable with it, then move on to the next Game type.

I meant games not questions in my original post. Thanks for picking up on that. My answers to your questions:

1. I was originally planning to take the september lsat, but with the trouble I have been having I am going to delay until the december lsat.
3. I don't really have a specific strategy. Someone else in one of the other threads on this forum suggested the Power Score bible, so I have been using those books.
5. Pretty much all of them are difficult for me. I have had the most success on ordering games...

Thanks for help!
I agree that the December test may be a better option for you since you're pretty far from where you want to be and you've only been studying a month. The first thing that you should do is get your study materials in order, you have some time now and you'll want to give it your all for the December test. Click on the link at the bottom to see where to find PrepTests, you can get them in books of 10 or as PDF downloads. Pay attention to the pros and cons columns to figure out which format will work best for you. You may also just want to get the LG sections so that you can get LR and RC drilling packets for the earlier PTs (not sure how your LR/RC is shaping up at this point). In fact, give me some insight into your LR and RC sections as well so that I can more accurately advise you on which materials will be best for you.

Here's the link, but check in with the LR and RC info before purchasing anything so we can formulate the best strategy for you.

http://odysseytestprep.com/revolution/m ... table.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:12 pm

flash21 wrote:Hey, I'm doing the 16 week course, so far I like it.

I really liked the part where you said we should focus on inferences more at the beginning, and that people skip them often when they are so important. A bad habit I think I do sometimes. This reminder alone helped a lot, I want to develop good habits. I know you mentioned as an exercise doing 2 minutes for looking for inferences just to break the habit, but how long would you say on a timed game? Do you just stop when no more pop in your head from trying to put rules together ?

thanks.
Great to hear that you like it so far!

While you're learning, the 2 minute drill can be very effective in breaking the habit of rushing into the questions but on timed sections you don't want to waste time unnecessarily. Make sure that you watch the videos on "finding deductions" because this will let you come up with a checklist that you can quickly apply to the rules to find deductions and once you're done with the checklist then you move into the game.

So your checklist should be as follows (the videos give better examples, but the checklist is the same):

1. Are there rules with variables in common? If the 1st rule and the 3rd rule both have variable "Q" then consider if there is a deduction to be made (there usually will be).

2. Are there rules with slots or groups in common? If the 2nd and 3rd rule both reference group 2 then there's probably a deduction to be made.

3. Are there spatial restrictions? Usually big rules (like blocks) create spatial restrictions that may yield deductions. Spatial restrictions tend to be stronger deductions on grouping games rather than linear so I really focus on this one for grouping, especially if there is one group that is smaller than the others (more spatial restrictions).

4. Are there any Not Spots? Rules that involve sequencing almost always create Not Spots (ex: blocks or before/after rules)

5. Is there a key component of the game (something bigger than just one variable) that can only go in one of two placement positions? This is more of a strategy than a deduction, but it should be on your checklist. This is what is going to tell you if the game is restrictive enough to prove out all the possibilities. Most people either don't know when to do the possibilities or they try to do them too often. If there is a block, for example, that can only go in slots 2 and 3 or slots 3 and 4 then go ahead and do two possibilities that represent each of them. If there is a single variable that can only go in slots 1 or 7 then it is generally a waste of time to do possibilities. This technique is a double-edged sword and if you overuse it you will lose a ton of time, but if you don't use it in appropriate situations then you will lose a ton of accuracy and time. I found that lots of people struggle with this concept, so in every game that I prove the possibilities I make sure to specify the key component of the game that is restricted to one of two (sometimes three) placement possibilities. This way you can see clearly when and why it is appropriate to use this technique.

Hope this helps!

lsat_hopefull

New

Post by lsat_hopefull » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:10 pm

Jon McCarty wrote:
lsat_hopefull wrote:

Thanks for help!
I agree that the December test may be a better option for you since you're pretty far from where you want to be and you've only been studying a month. The first thing that you should do is get your study materials in order, you have some time now and you'll want to give it your all for the December test. Click on the link at the bottom to see where to find PrepTests, you can get them in books of 10 or as PDF downloads. Pay attention to the pros and cons columns to figure out which format will work best for you. You may also just want to get the LG sections so that you can get LR and RC drilling packets for the earlier PTs (not sure how your LR/RC is shaping up at this point). In fact, give me some insight into your LR and RC sections as well so that I can more accurately advise you on which materials will be best for you.

Here's the link, but check in with the LR and RC info before purchasing anything so we can formulate the best strategy for you.

Excellent stuff, thanks for the quick response. I seem to be doing ok on the LR and RC sections, but I am still no where near where I Want to be or think I should be.

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:02 pm

lsat_hopefull wrote:
Jon McCarty wrote:
lsat_hopefull wrote:

Thanks for help!

Excellent stuff, thanks for the quick response. I seem to be doing ok on the LR and RC sections, but I am still no where near where I Want to be or think I should be.
Ok, so it seems like you'll want to pretty much work from the ground up. Let's get you set with the right materials to work from then we'll work on maximizing those materials. You mentioned that you have a total of 20 tests so don't repurchase anything that you already have.

For LG:
Get all of the LG sections from PT 1-55, A, B, and C here: http://everylsat.com/full-lsat-sections ... 6b8f06ddb0

For RC:
Get all of the RC sections from PT 1-55, A, B, and C here: http://everylsat.com/full-lsat-sections ... n-c-48_47/

For LR:
Get the drilling sets organized by question type from PT 1-50 here (not the study pack though): http://everylsat.com/lsat-practice-ques ... g-c-40_41/
Also get LR sections from PT 51-55, A, B, and C here: http://everylsat.com/full-lsat-sections ... g-c-48_46/

Full PrepTests:
Get the LSAC book of PTs 62-71 (if you don't already have it) here: http://www.amazon.com/10-Actual-Officia ... through+71

and get PTs 56-61 and 72 here: http://everylsat.com/official-lsat-prep ... s-c-45_36/
if you want 56-61 and 72 as 5 section exams to work on stamina then get them here: http://everylsat.com/official-lsat-prep ... s-c-45_37/

once you have the materials then organize everything, you'll have a LOT. You don't want to spend half your study time looking for stuff, so take the time to get organized. Keep your LG sections from 1-55, A, B, and C in one binder; your RC sections from 1-55, A, B, and C in another binder; your LR drilling sets and sections from 1-55, A, B, and C in another binder; and your PTs from 56-61 and 72 in yet another binder with the book of 62-71 with it.

I know it's a lot to get, but once you have it all then you'll be ready to start preparing in a very methodical way for the December test. Check in with me when you have the above materials and I'll work a custom study plan for you.

lsat_hopefull

New

Re: Free Logic Games Course!

Post by lsat_hopefull » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:20 am

Thanks again Jon, it seems like I lucked out finding this thread on the TLS forum. I have purchased what you recommended and organized it accordingly. I am ready to get to work! Where do I start!?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:04 pm

lsat_hopefull wrote:Thanks again Jon, it seems like I lucked out finding this thread on the TLS forum. I have purchased what you recommended and organized it accordingly. I am ready to get to work! Where do I start!?
Great! Since LG is giving you the most trouble right now you'll want to focus on that. Use the 16 week course in the Odyssey Logic Games Revolution to get started. Some quick notes on how to get the most out of your time:

Pay attention to the video icons next to each video. Your goal should be to learn the strategies and game types first, then work on timing. These icons will let you know when the optimal time to make the switch from strategy to timing for each game type will be.

Take your time and learn everything. This means that you need to fully internalize things like finding deductions and rule notations. Flash cards can be helpful in accomplishing this.

Review every game. Each game that you complete you'll want to review it. Even if you got every question correct you may still have missed a deduction that could have sped the game up for you. To make this quicker for you, each games first frame (the frame that it's frozen on before you click play) is the final game with all the work for each question. So if you got everything correct on a game just click full screen on the video before pressing play and you can quickly see if you got the setup and local work correct. If you got everything on the screen then you can move on without watching the entire video.

Since you're going for December, you'll want to transition into working on LR and RC work along with LG in a few weeks so make sure that you're working at a good pace through the LG course. This doesn't mean that you should complete the course in a few weeks, just that you should have your feet under you by then. You'll want to be through the first 4 lessons at least before making the transition.

Let me know what you think!

lsat_hopefull

New

Post by lsat_hopefull » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Jon McCarty wrote:
lsat_hopefull wrote:Thanks again Jon, it seems like I lucked out finding this thread on the TLS forum. I have purchased what you recommended and organized it accordingly. I am ready to get to work! Where do I start!?
Great! Since LG is giving you the most trouble right now you'll want to focus on that. Use the 16 week course in the Odyssey Logic Games Revolution to get started. Some quick notes on how to get the most out of your time:

Pay attention to the video icons next to each video. Your goal should be to learn the strategies and game types first, then work on timing. These icons will let you know when the optimal time to make the switch from strategy to timing for each game type will be.

Take your time and learn everything. This means that you need to fully internalize things like finding deductions and rule notations. Flash cards can be helpful in accomplishing this.

Review every game. Each game that you complete you'll want to review it. Even if you got every question correct you may still have missed a deduction that could have sped the game up for you. To make this quicker for you, each games first frame (the frame that it's frozen on before you click play) is the final game with all the work for each question. So if you got everything correct on a game just click full screen on the video before pressing play and you can quickly see if you got the setup and local work correct. If you got everything on the screen then you can move on without watching the entire video.

Since you're going for December, you'll want to transition into working on LR and RC work along with LG in a few weeks so make sure that you're working at a good pace through the LG course. This doesn't mean that you should complete the course in a few weeks, just that you should have your feet under you by then. You'll want to be through the first 4 lessons at least before making the transition.

Sounds Great! I will get started

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:40 pm

lsat_hopefull wrote:
Jon McCarty wrote:

Sounds Great! I will get started
Keep me posted and let me know if you need anything, I'm happy to help!

lsat_hopefull

New

Post by lsat_hopefull » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:52 pm

I am making much better progress now! This concept of interchangeability is blowing my mind. Thanks again

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:19 pm

lsat_hopefull wrote:I am making much better progress now! This concept of interchangeability is blowing my mind. Thanks again
I've been getting that a lot! Interchangeability is probably the most powerful tool that people aren't using on the Logic Games.

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:44 pm

I've been getting a lot of PMs about strategies to improve speed on the LG so here's a quick tip to help:

If you're not using your previous work within a game to help answer questions then you're leaving tons of time on the table. Using your previous work can turn a 2 minute question into a 15 second question. I focused on this heavily through the explanations in the Revolution because many people are told to use previous work but aren't shown exactly how to use it effectively.

A good example of a game to use previous work on would be PrepTest 20 Game 2, specifically questions 10 and 12 which are easily the most difficult questions of the game but only take about 15 seconds by using your previous work.

Use the "Logic Games Explanations" tab after clicking "instant access" to find the explanation here: http://odysseytestprep.com/revolution/

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:49 am

Jon McCarty wrote:
lsat_hopefull wrote:I am making much better progress now! This concept of interchangeability is blowing my mind. Thanks again
I've been getting that a lot! Interchangeability is probably the most powerful tool that people aren't using on the Logic Games.
If anyone checking this thread out is unfamiliar with the concept of Interchangeability, then check out the explanation for PrepTest 24 Game 1. It is a great example of how interchangeability can eliminate all of the incorrect answer choices within a question leaving you only with the correct answer choice left. Specifically it can be used to fully answer questions 2 and 4 on that game which make up 40% of the questions on the game. It can also be heavily used on PrepTest 72 Game 4 which can save you from freaking out on that recent rare game.

Get LG explanations here: http://odysseytestprep.com/revolution/

Hope this helps!

Jon McCarty

New

Re: Free Logic Games Course + Q&A

Post by Jon McCarty » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:50 pm

If you're looking for where to purchase Official LSAT PrepTests then check this list out!

Last edited by Jon McCarty on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”