Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
12%
Interstellar
39%
Cabin in the Woods
25%
Logan
25%

Total votes: 101

omorewa

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby omorewa » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi Spivey team!

We saw applications and enrollment into law school fall significantly (I can't find the source now, but it seemed even more so with URMs), but you've recently predicted that applications this coming cycle will be up 3-5% due to LSAC policy changes, increased likelihood that more schools will accept the GRE, and a legal awakening due to the election. And imaginably, that means the upcoming cycles will be more selective and tougher that past, recent cycles.

How much impact would you say increasing applications numbers will have on URMs for, say, the Top 10 schools? I'm wondering about these very top tier school because I remember one member from Harvard Admissions suggesting that the schools at the very top didn't change much admissions-wise in response to decreased applications. Specifically, they said they were still able to choose from a larger pool of very competitive students than they have seats for.

So I'm wondering how things might change now for URMs. Are top schools more likely to accommodate more URMs (since more are likely to apply) or perhaps, those schools will still accept roughly the same number but with greater competition for those limited seats?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:10 am

omorewa wrote:Hi Spivey team!

We saw applications and enrollment into law school fall significantly (I can't find the source now, but it seemed even more so with URMs), but you've recently predicted that applications this coming cycle will be up 3-5% due to LSAC policy changes, increased likelihood that more schools will accept the GRE, and a legal awakening due to the election. And imaginably, that means the upcoming cycles will be more selective and tougher that past, recent cycles.

How much impact would you say increasing applications numbers will have on URMs for, say, the Top 10 schools? I'm wondering about these very top tier school because I remember one member from Harvard Admissions suggesting that the schools at the very top didn't change much admissions-wise in response to decreased applications. Specifically, they said they were still able to choose from a larger pool of very competitive students than they have seats for.

So I'm wondering how things might change now for URMs. Are top schools more likely to accommodate more URMs (since more are likely to apply) or perhaps, those schools will still accept roughly the same number but with greater competition for those limited seats?

I don't think that things will change dramatically for URMs in the top 10 - tho I may have been the HLS admissions person who made that statement above so I may be agreeing with myself :)
Decisions are based not only on the applicant's merits but also relative to the merits of the entire applicant pool.
It is important to note that schools do not have quotas for URMs, so the number of offers to URMs is likely to fluctuate based on the individual applicants to each school as well as the larger pool for that school.

KB

heyduchess

Postby heyduchess » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:51 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:It's about that time for our TLS Fantasy Football League!

Winner gets two free admissions or employment calls with me.
Loser has to answer my work texts for a month. :)

Who wants to be Commissioner???? please please!

I'M IN! I'M IN!

Can't wait to reply to all of your important texts with an appropriate GIF-response.

SadFootballFan

Postby SadFootballFan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 pm

rowdy wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:I'm in.

PM'd, and with you we are tentatively full. We'll see if anyone backs out.

Now my username is even more applicable.

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 pm

heyduchess wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:It's about that time for our TLS Fantasy Football League!

Winner gets two free admissions or employment calls with me.
Loser has to answer my work texts for a month. :)

Who wants to be Commissioner???? please please!

I'M IN! I'M IN!

Can't wait to reply to all of your important texts with an appropriate GIF-response.

We're all full but I have you as first alternate if someone drops!

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:47 pm

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:20 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:I'm in for FF pick if still available. Thanks!

Hey, I haven't gotten your response to my PM, I'm going to have to give it to an alternate!

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”