Canadian Law Admissions Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
paytoplay91

New

Canadian Law Admissions

Post by paytoplay91 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 am

Hey guys,

I'm an American looking to study in Canada, and I'm looking mainly at U Manitoba. My current GPA is 3.77 on a 4.0 scale and I just took the LSAT in September, so I'm waiting on scores. I was wondering if it would be of use to try an individual consideration application to the university because I am not sure if my LSAT performance will be satisfactory. Of course that's going to be dependent on when scores come out, but I've never been great at standardized tests. What should I do to beef up my chances of admission and make me a more valuable candidate, aside from trying to study and improve the LSAT in December if it's bad?

Thanks,

Ben

CanadianinNY

New

Re: Canadian Law Admissions

Post by CanadianinNY » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Ben,

A good forum for Canadian law schools is www.lawstudents.ca. It'll have specific information on the University of Manitoba.

I'd make sure you're fully informed about going to law school in Canada before applying however, and how easy/difficult it is to return to the U.S., if that's what you want to do. With the exception of a few schools (University of Toronto, Osgoode Hall Law School, Mcgill) it becomes very difficult to practice in the United States after graduation. And even at those schools, the recruiting is limited to V20 firms in NY

Moreover, Canadian schools in smaller markets (like Manitoba) tend to be more localized - in that if you end up going to Manitoba, you will have a slim shot of practicing in larger markets, like Toronto or Vancouver. So make sure that you do in fact want to end up in Manitoba, or at least wouldn't mind ending up there.

I have very little experience with that school, but hopefully you can find more advice on lawstudents.ca

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”