Law after Engineering Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
Margaret99

New

Law after Engineering

Post by Margaret99 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:38 am

Hi, I am an electrical engineering student from India. I like engineering (and have good grades) but am not inclined to do a masters. I would prefer to do corporate law and work for engineering companies. Are there any specific courses for this in US? How are the employment opportunities for such a job profile in US? Are there more opportunities in Europe or Australia?
Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

legit

Bronze

Re: Law after Engineering

Post by legit » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:50 am

Have you looked into becoming a patent agent?

Margaret99

New

Post by Margaret99 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks legit :)
I did have a look at patent agent/attorney. It seems interesting but I would not like to restrict myself to that. Although, I may use it after 1L to get some work experience.

As of now, I am planning for a proper law degree (preparing for LSAT) and would like to know more about the employment opportunities for international students.

Topszn

Bronze

Post by Topszn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:52 am

Margaret99 wrote:Thanks legit :)
I did have a look at patent agent/attorney. It seems interesting but I would not like to restrict myself to that. Although, I may use it after 1L to get some work experience.

As of now, I am planning for a proper law degree (preparing for LSAT) and would like to know more about the employment opportunities for international students.
What about them? Such a broad question that depends on so many different factors, its hard to answer.

JustBrian

New

Post by JustBrian » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:09 am

Hi, there
One of my friend is in the same boat ... currently he is about finish up with his degree in medical engineering ... but not inclined to do his master ... Could anybody of you to propose any good books concerning corporate law?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:30 pm

There are some IP Lit opportunities in biglaw for science students but that's a really narrow path to set for yourself going into LS especially if your English isn't very good.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Margaret99 wrote:Hi, I am an electrical engineering student from India. I like engineering (and have good grades) but am not inclined to do a masters. I would prefer to do corporate law and work for engineering companies. Are there any specific courses for this in US? How are the employment opportunities for such a job profile in US? Are there more opportunities in Europe or Australia?
Any advice is greatly appreciated :)
No there is not a course as you describe.
The job market for international lawyers is very difficult and you absolutely cannot assume you will get a job from law school. Getting a visa to work in the US is complicated as you may already know. It isn't any easier for lawyers and few companies or firms will offer to sponsor international lawyers. There is no way to know in advance if you will be sponsored and even if you get sponsored you will still have to win a lottery.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Why the 6 month necro?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 pm

UVA2B wrote:Why the 6 month necro?
Didn't check the date. I have no idea why it was necroed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Npret wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Why the 6 month necro?
Didn't check the date. I have no idea why it was necroed.
That was directed at blue, not you. I've definitely responded to necroed threads before without realizing it and don't fault anyone for responding without realizing it was a necro.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:47 am

This is a dead subforum didn't realize how long it had been.

Margaret99

New

Post by Margaret99 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:07 am

Since the thread has been revived, I might as well just update the recent developments here.

Now I am planning on starting a 3 years LLB this fall. I am looking at two universities, one which offers an honors degree in IP with an extensive choice of electives (total 8 out of 36 subjects) in various fields like business law, while the other is more basic and offers fewer electives (3 out of 27 total subjects).

I am an engineer but I wish to practice Business/Corporate law rather than IP. I want to know if the IP tag will be a drag if I want to practice business/corporate law in the future. Also, since the IP degree is "honors", will it have more value when I apply for LLM?
The normal LLB is from a top law college, but the IP degree is from a top technology university. What would be the job prospects for each case?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”