Applying 0L Advice to British Law Schools Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
kaassan

New

Applying 0L Advice to British Law Schools

Post by kaassan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:25 am

LEEWS, PLS, Getting to Maybe, Delaney...I'm sure all have transferable knowledge to apply to acing British law school exams. But because none of them are ACTUALLY written for 0Ls and 1Ls at British law schools, I am unsure of what advice to heed, and what to ignore. Many of my exams will be 100% of my grade, and the dearth of information on what to expect in end-of-year exams unnerves me.

If anyone knows to what extent the most popular resources help in securing top grades in the UK, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Topszn

Bronze

Re: Applying 0L Advice to British Law Schools

Post by Topszn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:26 am

kaassan wrote:LEEWS, PLS, Getting to Maybe, Delaney...I'm sure all have transferable knowledge to apply to acing British law school exams. But because none of them are ACTUALLY written for 0Ls and 1Ls at British law schools, I am unsure of what advice to heed, and what to ignore. Many of my exams will be 100% of my grade, and the dearth of information on what to expect in end-of-year exams unnerves me.

If anyone knows to what extent the most popular resources help in securing top grades in the UK, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.
I went to a British law school for undergrad, allow me to weigh in.

Exams are going to be pretty similar - at my school, first semester of every year was exclusively coursework modules. None of those books will help you write coursework. In second semester every year, we had all exam modules. I've never done/read LEEWS but from what I've seen, given that our issue spotters were almost identical in form and substance to U.S issue spotters, it would help. Getting to Maybe would definitely help you write British law school exams. I've never read Delaney so I can't comment.

PLS would be a waste of time, as would any other 1L prep book like LSC or 1L of a Ride. The 'experience' at UK LS is completely different to US. It is just like doing any other degree. I never met a single person in my three years at my school, even amongst the 'gunners', that briefed cases, outlined, read supps, etc etc. The standard is also ostensibly lower at UK law schools given that its not a professional degree and it isn't a graduate course.

As for what to expect from your end of year exams - expect ridiculous issue spotters (you might get some of these in coursework as well - one of my first year CW issue spotters was about somebody making CP Simpsons cartoons - pretty fucked up) mixed in with some policy questions. Most of the time (at my school, anyway) you'd get several questions to choose three to answer from, so policy arguments are more common.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”