Attending School in Canada v. US Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
jng

New

Attending School in Canada v. US

Post by jng » Fri May 13, 2016 3:30 pm

So couple of questions:

1. How exactly are US schools ranked? In terms of people referring to them as t1, t2 or whatever. And in that case, what would be the equivalent in Canada schools? As in, where would say UBC or U of T rank as a t1, t2, etc. So say I was accepted into U of T or UBC law v. an american school, at what point should I cut off and decide to go to school in Canada because of it being a better school.

2. I want to eventually work in the NYC market, not necessarily in big law, although that would be nice if I could make it. Should I still try and attempt to attend a top school in NY or would any school in that market be fine? I'm from Canada, so obviously our tuition here is significantly cheaper than the ones in the US, which would mean significantly less debt in the end but I've talked to people and a couple of lawyers who currently practice in NY and all of them had said going to school in state would be better than not.

KijiStewart

Bronze

Re: Attending School in Canada v. US

Post by KijiStewart » Fri May 12, 2017 9:35 pm

For US

T1: top 50
T2: 51 - 100
T3: 101-50
T4 everyone else

If your end goal is NYC law and debt is a concern, I'd do McGill or U of T over any U.S. school. Sure, HYS has better prestige but debt is debt regardless of where you went.

Both McGill and U of T place well into NY firms (Id say they'd both qualify as an honorary T14, U of T being a better school though not necessarily as much brand recognition in the U.S.).

If you can't get in to McGill or U of T, I would consider going to Columbia, NYU (or any U.S. T14) then also to Fordham and Cardozo. UBC and Osgoode may get you into the NY market as well, its not only a function of brand but also about YOUR grades and networking ability.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri May 12, 2017 9:43 pm

KijiStewart wrote:
date check

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:06 pm

U of T is very competitive but if you get in it's equivalent to a top Ivy in the US IMO in terms of prestige outside HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”