US/Canadian joint degree programs Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
Polarbear1993

New

US/Canadian joint degree programs

Post by Polarbear1993 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Any thoughts on the utility of a joint degree program from US and Canada? It seems like an interesting path, but is it only useful for those who want to pursue transnational business law?

Any information on universities that provide a joint law degree with a Canadian university? I know UC-Boulder and Houston offer such programs, but i'm curious if there are others.

Auxilio

Silver

Re: US/Canadian joint degree programs

Post by Auxilio » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Basically: don't do it.

There are a few reasons for this:

The first is that the niche you mentioned is probably the only time it may be beneficial--but the schools that offer it do not place in the big firms that work in that area.

Second, you don't really need it at all: a Canadian JD is enough to take the bar in a few US states (MA and NY being the big ones, and some top firms take a few students every year from Canadian schools). Going the other way it is not that difficult to transition any US degree into Canadian eligibility: you just take a few basic exams (NCA exams) which most do not find that difficult.

Third, the Canadian legal market is notoriously skeptical of foreign degrees (there are quite a few schools that target Canadian students around the world) outside of Oxbridge. This is especially a problem since you have no alumni network, and much more importantly, will have an excruciating time finding an articling position.

Fourth, you are paying US tuition numbers (and in USD which is significant right now) for a Canadian degree where the vast majority of your peers have less than 1/3 your debt--starting salaries for lawyers reflects this difference.

Fifth, even the few jobs that kind of can make use of the dual degree will have you practicing in just one jurisdiction likely.

Figure out which country you want to work in and go there. If you are ambivalent than pick a choice that would be ok as if you were planning on practicing the country it is located in.

Polarbear1993

New

Post by Polarbear1993 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:55 am

Thank you so much!!

MadJeff

New

Post by MadJeff » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:09 am

Hi, there

I am working on my degree in Law ... Never heard abount joint-degree from US and Canada ... Could anybody send link for more info?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”