McGill Law Language Requirement Question Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
daDudeAbides28

New

McGill Law Language Requirement Question

Post by daDudeAbides28 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I am very interested at studying at McGill Law in Montreal, however I don't currently speak much French. I have spoken to French Professors at my home University about taking two course this year and then enrolling in an intensive, immersion French program in Quebec City next summer. The professors here seem to think that this would adequately prepare me for the reading requirements that 1L students would face, and I would supplement this with French courses at McGill.

My question is the following: do you think the odds are good that the Selection Committee would buy in? I have spoken to a representative from the Law School a bit about it, and she seemed to think it could go either way. My GPA is 3.93 and while I haven't taken the LSAT yet (taking it in a few days), but my practice exams have been in the mid 160's. Both of these are above the averages at McGill, so my main obstacle would be the language requirement.

I definitely appreciate any insight from those who have applied or are currently enrolled there! Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: McGill Law Language Requirement Question

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Not sure if this is still accurate, but I thought that McGill had a pre-entrance French language test. You may want to check out the McGill thread on lawstudents.ca.

Just checked lawstudents.ca. It appears that you will be given an interview to test your French language skills.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:39 pm

If you have no knowledge of French, then you should consider taking a year off before entering McGill in order to study French fulltime in both an academic & cultural environment. If unable to do so, then contact Middlebury College (Vermont) about their summer French language immersion program.

daDudeAbides28

New

Post by daDudeAbides28 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:42 pm

The impression that I got from the rep I talked with was that they would call me in February (ish) and judge where I am at that point. This may be the test you were referring to? From there, with consideration to my plans, they would make the judgement. She also said that they could revoke admission if I showed up in the Fall without sufficient French ability. The reason I am curious is that I hate to enroll in a bunch of courses and the summer program if my chances are very low. That being said, I am optimistic!

I've seen conflicting reports from students there on how much they actually use, but I definitely think it would be very useful. Thanks for the tip, though; I will definitely look at the McGill thread to see if anyone has been in a similar position.

Also, I will look further into the Middleburry College immersion program, is it well regarded?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Yes, the Middlebury language programs are well regarded.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:55 pm

Ottawa has both common law & civil law programs. You might want to inquire as to whether or not you can apply to both programs in order to have a Canadian law school option.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:04 pm

daDudeAbides28

New

Post by daDudeAbides28 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:16 pm

CanadianWolf:

All good advice. l read some past students' opinions on Middlebury, and they seem to offer very strong programs. Thanks for pointing that out as a good option.

I am a U.S. student and will be applying to a good chunk of the T14 (plus a few others) here along with McGill and Toronto. I haven't looked at University of Ottawa's Law School much at this point, but I'll check their programs out more in depth soon.

Gray:

Thanks for the great insider perspective. I will definitely take you up on the offer to ask you questions in the future! I will be working hard on the personal statement and resume portion after this weekend's exam, and I'm sure some questions regarding McGill and Montreal will come up.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:28 pm

daDudeAbides28

New

Post by daDudeAbides28 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:45 pm

Gray:

Yep, I am aware! If i'm remembering correctly, with the degrees from McGill you are permitted to take the Bar in New York and Massachusetts? I am going into law school with a fairly open mind in regards to practice area, although with my background Corp Law would make some sense. I've heard McGill is well respected by firms in New York.

That being said, I do appreciate the heads up. It is another thing for me to consider during the process of applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”