Canadian Law Articled Student taking Questions Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
serdog

Bronze

Canadian Law Articled Student taking Questions

Post by serdog » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi all this a thread for small question about Canadian law schools.
a few general things
1) Canadian law School are regional(with a few exceptions) and not really national ranked
2)http://lawstudents.ca/forums/ is a great resource
3) The country you want to work in is more important then the school that said i've seen Golden Gate graduate articling at a big firm in Vancouver and a harvard graduate who clerk for the Chief Justice of Canada having a hard time getting a job or called. Bottom Line if you want to work in Canada you are better off going to any Canadian law school over US
4) All Canadian law school are great be careful of Thompson river and Lakehead ONLY because they are new so less networking chance if Trinity Western gets off the ground avoid like the plague(it will likely NOT be accredited by two law societies)
5)I said all Canadian Law Schools are great, you can get a Canadian Law Degree at Bond and a Joint Canadian/US law degree with Detroit Mercy and Wisour ( the program is a joke)

Anyway feel free to ask an questions

newbie2

New

Re: Canadian Law Articled Student taking Questions

Post by newbie2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Asking this question for my friend who is a Canadian who went to a US for law school and is currently practicing in NY (transaction). Is there a job market for such US-trained lawyers in Canada? Is it necessary to get Canadian lawyer licensing? Process? Thanks!

sims1

Bronze

Post by sims1 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:16 pm

newbie2 wrote:Asking this question for my friend who is a Canadian who went to a US for law school and is currently practicing in NY (transaction). Is there a job market for such US-trained lawyers in Canada? Is it necessary to get Canadian lawyer licensing? Process? Thanks!
fwiw i know some large ny firms (paul weiss, skadden, shearman) have offices in Toronto that practice US law. These are pretty small though.

newbie2

New

Post by newbie2 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Thank you! Presumably a US-licensed lawyer doesn't need additional Canadian licensing to practise US laws in Canada?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”