applying and attending both US and non-US law schools Forum

This forum is designed to assist those who are looking at law schools outside the US. Please use this forum for these kinds of discussions.
hello.world

New

applying and attending both US and non-US law schools

Post by hello.world » Thu May 08, 2014 5:41 am

-
Last edited by hello.world on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: applying and attending both US and non-US law schools

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Fri May 09, 2014 7:53 pm

The obvious problem is that a law degree in most countries outside the US is an undergraduate degree, but in the US you need to have completed an undergraduate degree to start law school.

Assuming you have an undergraduate degree already, U.S. law schools seem fairly flexible about letting people study for another degree at the same time.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this, though. Problems:

(1) it would be more efficient to complete one degree first and then start the other.

(2) having a foreign law degree would give you very little advantage if you want to practice law in the U.S.

(3) if you just want to practice law in your own country, why not just get an LLM? That's both cheaper and easier.

(4) U.S. law degrees are extremely expensive, and people educated outside the U.S. seldom get more than 1/2 tuition scholarships. Also, you wouldn't be eligible for federal loans, which is how U.S. students finance their legal education.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sat May 10, 2014 6:51 am

I've seen dual law degrees between Australia and the US where something like what you described is possible. Australia starts the academic year in the spring. Here's a schedule and details: http://www.law.unimelb.edu.au/index.cfm ... 50568D0140.

It seems like a waste of time and money. I doubt there are any American JDs at NYU doing this program.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Wright

New

Post by Brad Wright » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 am

You have a good plan, however there are lots of problems
you will encounter in doing that.

You're wasting not only your money but also your time in that kind of plan.
Why not try Cross-Enroll? enroll in both schools legally but don't take same subjects.

In that case you are enrolled in both schools but will graduate only in one school.

Elric

Bronze

Post by Elric » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:06 pm

I have several friends who've completed the Columbia Law School/ University College London LLB/JD program. Cornell Law also has dual degree programs in France and in Germany. I don't have any experience with these programs other than getting accepted to Cornell's programs, but I think they're all worthwhile. I hope these links help.

http://web.law.columbia.edu/internation ... lb-program

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/intern ... /index.cfm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Non-US Law Schools Forum”