What does C&F tell my old employer when they ask about a suspension? Do they call? Or just mail? (CA bar) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
alittleconcerned

New

What does C&F tell my old employer when they ask about a suspension? Do they call? Or just mail? (CA bar)

Post by alittleconcerned » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:43 pm

I had a complicated end to an employment that involved me being suspended, and me resigning right on the spot. I have since reconciled with my employer and she said nothing negative will be said about me. My old employer says she thinks what's in the past is in the past, as in, she doesn't focus on that and is willing to be supportive of me now.

The thing is, I am going to disclose a complaint I had filed in the past (and later withdrew) against the employer, where I disclosed very very detailed stuff surrounding the circumstances of my suspension. I'm just concerned that C&F, aside from simply asking "so why did she get suspended?", would also want to verify with my employer something like "she said such and such was happening, was that true?" As in, would C&F try to verify all the small facts surrounding a suspension/termination by mentioning them to the employer and getting the employer to verify, yes, that indeed happened, etc?

Bottom line is, I'm not trying to hide anything. But both my old employer and I would characterize what happened as a case of misunderstandings, and I think my employer is happy with leaving it at that and not talk about all the details. I am worried that C&F would tell my old employer about all the unpleasant facts that I wrote in an old complaint years ago (which my old employer likely wants to forget and not discuss). I don't want to offend my old employer...(I withdrew that complaint and don't hold it against them anymore, but the complaint is still on government record)

People that have had suspensions or terminations, do C&F tell your former employers your side of the story? Or do they simply ask "tell me about the suspension/termination"?

Does C&F request details from the employer, if employer doesn't volunteer them?

albanach

Gold

Re: What does C&F tell my old employer when they ask about a suspension? Do they call? Or just mail? (CA bar)

Post by albanach » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:41 pm

What's the purpose of you disclosing additional information? Is there a reason that you can't just say you mention the suspension followed by resignation and later reconciliation without adding a bit that could cause conflict with your former employer?

alittleconcerned

New

Re: What does C&F tell my old employer when they ask about a suspension? Do they call? Or just mail? (CA bar)

Post by alittleconcerned » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:36 pm

albanach wrote:What's the purpose of you disclosing additional information? Is there a reason that you can't just say you mention the suspension followed by resignation and later reconciliation without adding a bit that could cause conflict with your former employer?
because I had previously filed a complaint against the employer with a government agency. (I was young and felt righteous...dumb I know, but at the time it felt like the right thing to do) I later withdrew the complaint, but I know the bar will be able to find it. The CA bar asks if you've ever been a part of a civil complaint, and I can't just say no. My school dean said that they'll likely ask for a copy of it, so I plan on just submitting it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”