Barbri, Kaplan or Themis Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lydflorence

New

Barbri, Kaplan or Themis

Post by Lydflorence » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I've been looking around this forum trying to find out which is the best bar prep course to sign up for. I'm considering the CA Bar in Feb 2020. I am looking for something I can have access to today, great outline and essay help.

If my employer is paying for it, I tihnk I will sign up for Barbri extended prep course which gives me access for 6 or 10 month. I'm working full time and plan to study part time for the bar. I want to start studying as soon as possible and so far from my reserach, I only see barbri extended prep offering me such a long access. Have anyone used barbri extended and what do you think of it? If anyone know of any other prep course with early access (i.e. from Aug '19 to Feb '20), please let me know.

My 2nd consideration is the bar outline. Which bar outline would you say is the best? So far, I think barbri has clear and easy to follow outline. Themis outline does not seem very organized. I've read that Kaplan has "outdated" law outline. Can anyone comment on whether that's true? Kaplan is attractive because it is the cheapest of the 3 bar prep. However, I don't want to learn the wrong law or miss out on crucial law knowledge for the bar exam. I also could not find any Kaplan law outline to compare whether it is in a format that is easy to read.

Other consideration are how the law knowledge are taught. So far, I think barbri requires student to fill in the lecture hand out? Does anyone know which bar prep does not require student to do that? I think that really slows down the learning of the law knowledge. And which bar prep has good lectures that explain how to apply the law to questions.

Which bar prep teaches a good method to answer the bar exam essays and provide good critique to help student improve?

If I have to select Kaplan / Themis, which one would you say is a better prep course and why?

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Barbri, Kaplan or Themis

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Over time I've come to think that there are far more similarities than there are differences among all these companies. They have to pretty much put out the same product because they are all teaching to the same tests. I've for a long time said that I think Barbri's Conviser Mini Review is an excellent book and I stand by that.

Whichever company you go with, be sure to supplement with official NCBE questions and official essays. That's a really important component to preparing.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Lydflorence

New

Post by Lydflorence » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Thanks Sean.

So I guess I'll have to sign up for Adaptibar for real MBE questions. And I'm planning to just go through the CA essay from the calbar website. Do you know any other website that use real CA essay and gives great model answer?

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Lydflorence wrote:Thanks Sean.

So I guess I'll have to sign up for Adaptibar for real MBE questions. And I'm planning to just go through the CA essay from the calbar website. Do you know any other website that use real CA essay and gives great model answer?
baressays.com

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:48 am

This is certainly possible. It just kind of depends on what type of guidance you'd like. When you take a course you're provided with daily assignments, exams, etc. If you go the route of independent study with the Conviser, you're on your own. That said, it's very much a option for those who are inclined towards it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”